JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got a Stevens 512 Gold Wing O/U that I bought new in college, and didn't yet have the ability to purchase nicer firearms. I've used it sporadically as a dove gun over the years. Maybe 500 rounds through it.

Went to shoot today, pulled up on a bird, squeezed the trigger and boom. Got the hell kicked out of me. I've never been hit that hard. Dog went for the bird and I thought, hell... I really must have missed getting the gun shouldered.

Didn't even hit the bird...

Sat the gun down, assessed the pain, assessed the slight stars I saw, pulled the top round out of the chamber. Out of caution, I pulled the second shell out, I was going to set the gun aside and try to relax after being battered. 2nd round on the bottom tube is spent.

Gun is past warranty, can't in good conscience trade it in. Not worth selling, really not worth paying to have it repaired. Meat of the chest is black and blue, shoulder has a hitch in it, felt like it dislocated a bit following the shot.

I'll reiterate that I've absolutely never fired anything that strong, dual 3" 1400fps shells. I've shot 10 gauges, 3.5" over unders, etc. and didn't take a shot the rest of the day. Probably won't for a week.

I guess it's a get what you pay for kind of thing, maybe. Low cost Turkish produced shotgun. When I looked around online, it appears this is not an isolated occupancy and many have had similar problems on cheap and well as nicer firearms.

Last Edited:
Doubling is a common issue with double barrel shotgun's. Generally, one of the sear engagements, or both, wear to a point that it kicks off with the recoil of the first shot.
It sadly, is not a cheap fix, as it requires disassembly of the firearm, a thorough cleaning (which could solve the issue, especially if residue has built up in the sear engagement notch), and the stoning the notch, reassembling, test firing, and then repeating as necessary.
The last one of these I did was a side-by-side LC Smith. I had it completely apart and put back together nine or ten times before it finally stopped doubling. Stoning a sear is a slow process, as you do not want to take too much off. Metal can be put back on (see TIG welding), but it's a hassle. Especially on the older doubles, reassembly can be a bugger. The old savage 312 was especially obnoxious, until a method was learned.

Good on you for not trading off a gun that is malfunctioning. Not everyone is that honest, sadly.

Your (honest) options are either have it fixed, hang on to it as is until you can afford to have it fixed, or sell it cheap as a parts gun with the written advisement to the buyer that it is malfunctioning.

Doubling is a common issue with double barrel shotgun's. Generally, one of the sear engagements, or both, wear to a point that it kicks off with the recoil of the first shot.
It sadly, is not a cheap fix, as it requires disassembly of the firearm, a thorough cleaning (which could solve the issue, especially if residue has built up in the sear engagement notch), and the stoning the notch, reassembling, test firing, and then repeating as necessary.
The last one of these I did was a side-by-side LC Smith. I had it completely apart and put back together nine or ten times before it finally stopped doubling. Stoning a sear is a slow process, as you do not want to take too much off. Metal can be put back on (see TIG welding), but it's a hassle. Especially on the older doubles, reassembly can be a bugger. The old savage 312 was especially obnoxious, until a method was learned.

Good on you for not trading off a gun that is malfunctioning. Not everyone is that honest, sadly.

Your (honest) options are either have it fixed, hang on to it as is until you can afford to have it fixed, or sell it cheap as a parts gun with the written advisement to the buyer that it is malfunctioning.

Thanks for the knowledge, yeah can't sell it off... I'm a big boy and it kicked my bubblegum. I cannot imagine it hitting a female or a kid. I'm going to keep it in the safe and use it as a single shot for dove hunting. I rarely need more than one shell at s time for dove.

Yeah, I've been doubled on once. That was enough. Throw a snap cap in the other chamber.
I might suggest letting a gunsmith clean it for you. The cost should be reasonable and it might fix the issue. Occasionally carbon can build up in sear notches and cause issues. At the very least, then you'll have a better idea of the issue.

That's gotta hurt, damn! Sorry about that.

You could sell it to someone with the means to fix it as a "mechanics special". Or get the cleaning as mentioned above, but it might be hard not to have some residual flinch when you touch one off.

Don't know why, but I have a sick urge to shoot that thing haha. Must be my inner sadomasochist coming out.

Lol...

Might or might not do it again, I'm not finding out though... :)

I'm legitimately scared to shoot it. I used to shoot a single shot 10 gauge on geese. It was tolerable, this thing had me seeing stars....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top