JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You know, I was bow hunting with someone once and he lost track of me when I circled around a couple of deer. I stalked up to within a few yards of them using a tree for cover. As I was about to draw and lean out to take a shot, they spooked. I thought I had busted myself, either by making a noise or they had winded me. As it turns out, my partner shot (and missed) one of them, causing them to run. Did I mention that I was only a few yards away? I'm not saying that you shouldnt be careful or take every possible precaution, but lets face it, engaing in an inherently dangerous activity with deadly weapons opens the door for potentially bad results. Stuff happens, and I don't think my partner was negligent, just a bad shot.

In the case of the OP, I feel bad for both families affected.

I'm sure that idiot will appreciate you not mentioning his name.

Good to always know where you partner is.

Elmer Fudd lives. He should have stuck to huntin' wabbits.
Accident or not, he screwed up and a man lost his life because of it. Because he's not Dick Cheney he gets to face the music, as he should. Let's face it, they don't require IQ tests to get a deer tag and I've seen deer hunters do some stupid <blank>. Y'all watch yourselves out there in the woods, and be safe...

I have to agree that there is a difference between pointing a loaded firearm and pointing a drawn bow. The latter you do not forget that you have it drawn because it takes significantly more effort than it does to hold a rifle - it really is that simple.

I'm guessing the same way you do with a rifle.
You are totally focused on getting the deer and lose track of where your buddy is and what is going on around you.

Not trying to argue ... Just saying how I think it could happen.
But on the other hand , I can see how you could end a grievance with a "Hunting Accident."
Andy
NO NO NO
You don't EVER loose track of where your party is.
Unless you are hunting way on the other side of the section,clear cut whatever,you have to know or don't shoot.
Not saying they should have pressed charges but if his buddy was in THAT vacinity he should have passed.
Arrows pass thru deer easily. My buddy put an arrow thru the shoulder blade and broke the other leg bone and the arrow exited the deer. 30 +- yards
Can't call them back

hunting accidents can happen and I understand that but what bothers me about this story is that the arrow hit his partner BEFORE it missed the deer... I cant think of any excuse for that, especially bow hunting range.

The way I read it he was trying to gesture with his drawn bow. Obviously not a good idea. Might have had a release mechanism too. Some of those can be set hair trigger. Yikes!!!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top