JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This happened recently near Bend, and the Deschutes County DA convinced their Grand Jury to indict the hunter on felony charges of criminally negligent homicide and 2nd degree manslaughter, both felonies.

Not knowing any exact details of what happened, I have mixed feelings about this case. The DA agreed that the shooting was completely accidental in nature. The deer had broken cover, and had headed in the direction towards his friend. The hunter is said to be totally devasted over killing his good friend.

However, the DA argued to the Grand Jury that his negligence was so very profound, that it crossed the bar into being criminal in nature. Bail has been set at a very high $500,000, and the hunter has so far been unable to make bail, and remains in jail.

So be careful this hunting season. Don't shoot your buddy hunting!

This is a most troubling case indeed, no matter how you look at it.

Bowhunter indicted in hunting partner's death

This is a sad and horrible thing to happen to all involved.
While I can't say I would have done this or done that ...
Let what happened here , serve as a reminder to always know where your hunting partner is at.
Andy

How the F do you shoot someone with an arrow??? what an idiot. im not convinced it was an accident.

EDIT: i say this because there is a lot involved in shooting a bow. i bow hunt. i have been for a while. i cant imagine "turning to tell my hunting partner that the deer moved" with my bow drawn back and pointing at him.

Last Edited:
I'm guessing the same way you do with a rifle.
You are totally focused on getting the deer and lose track of where your buddy is and what is going on around you.

Not trying to argue ... Just saying how I think it could happen.
But on the other hand , I can see how you could end a grievance with a "Hunting Accident."
Andy

How the F do you shoot someone with an arrow??? what an idiot. im not convinced it was an accident.

Have you ever hunted deer? Have you never had Buck fever?

I once got so flustered when a nice buck stood broadside to me at only 50 yards, that I totally forgot to take my rifle's safety off. My mind had such tunnel vision, that I forgot all about the fact that my gun even had a safety.

I'm guessing the same way you do with a rifle.
You are totally focused on getting the deer and lose track of where your buddy is and what is going on around you.

Not trying to argue ... Just saying how I think it could happen.
But on the other hand , I can see how you could end a grievance with a "Hunting Accident."
Andy

That would really be diving deep into a conspiracy theory, to say that two men had a falling out so severe that one would actually murder the other, yet they would still go out hunting together.

That simply does not compute in my mind.

Besides, if there were any such circumstances, the DA would most certainly pounce on that. For that would mean substantially more severe charges.

Hunting accidents do happen. Even former Vice President Dick Cheney once shot a hunting partner under similar circumstances, when a bird flew towards his friend. Yet, no real investigation was even ever done in his case. Fortunately for his friend, Cheney's shotshells only had #8 birdshot in them for quail hunting.

Have you ever hunted deer? Have you never had Buck fever?

I once got so flustered when a nice buck stood broadside to me at only 50 yards, that I totally forgot to take my rifle's safety off. My mind had such tunnel vision, that I forgot all about the fact that my gun even had a safety.

yes and yes. my buck fever starts after the shot/kill. i understand everyone is different but, it isnt an excuse for negligence. maybe he did accidentally do it... accident or not he still did it and has to live with the decision of the jury. thats our "system"... like it or not.

Okay ... I really don't have a dog in this fight.
I said in my first post that it is a sad and horrible thing to have happened to everyone involved.
So I'm leaning to thinking is was a very bad accident.
My thoughts on the more sinister aspects were directed to v0lcom...
But yeah I have no doubt that it has been and will be looked into.
Andy

Last Edited:
yes and yes. my buck fever starts after the shot/kill. i understand everyone is different but, it isnt an excuse for negligence. maybe he did accidentally do it... accident or not he still did it and has to live with the decision of the jury. thats our "system"... like it or not.

Well, but Vice President Dick Cheney shot a hunting buddy under very similar circumstances, when a bird flew towards his friend. Yet in that case, it appears that local law enforcement did not bother to do a serious investigation. Texas Parks and Wildlife ended up being the only agency to take an extensive look into the shooting, and they classified the shooting as being "an error in judgment by Cheney". The man Cheney shot was 78 years old, and suffered a collapsed lung from the shooting. 3 days later, he suffered a heart attack, due to pellets near his heart. However, he is still alive today, at age 89.

A good friend and neighbor of my father was shot under circumstances very much just like Cheney's incident while pheasant hunting in 1985, and lost his right eye from the wounds. Yet the authorities in California never bothered to charge the other hunter with any crime back then. Doctors actually had to operate on his left eye too, but managed to save it.

He had to totally switch to shooting left handed after that, due to the loss of his right eye.

Just like a firearm don't point it at something you don't want dead.

Why on earth would you point a pulled arrow towards someone?

Maybe the dude was too fat to turn his head.

The world is safer with this guy in jail.

You know, I was bow hunting with someone once and he lost track of me when I circled around a couple of deer. I stalked up to within a few yards of them using a tree for cover. As I was about to draw and lean out to take a shot, they spooked. I thought I had busted myself, either by making a noise or they had winded me. As it turns out, my partner shot (and missed) one of them, causing them to run. Did I mention that I was only a few yards away? I'm not saying that you shouldnt be careful or take every possible precaution, but lets face it, engaing in an inherently dangerous activity with deadly weapons opens the door for potentially bad results. Stuff happens, and I don't think my partner was negligent, just a bad shot.

In the case of the OP, I feel bad for both families affected.

Last Edited:
Well, but Vice President Dick Cheney shot a hunting buddy under very similar circumstances, when a bird flew towards his friend. Yet in that case, it appears that local law enforcement did not bother to do a serious investigation. Texas Parks and Wildlife ended up being the only agency to take an extensive look into the shooting, and they classified the shooting as being "an error in judgment by Cheney". The man Cheney shot was 78 years old, and suffered a collapsed lung from the shooting. 3 days later, he suffered a heart attack, due to pellets near his heart. However, he is still alive today, at age 89.

A good friend and neighbor of my father was shot under circumstances very much just like Cheney's incident while pheasant hunting in 1985, and lost his right eye from the wounds. Yet the authorities in California never bothered to charge the other hunter with any crime back then. Doctors actually had to operate on his left eye too, but managed to save it.

He had to totally switch to shooting left handed after that, due to the loss of his right eye.

im sorry about your friend. sounds like me cheney or your friend didnt have to go thru the so called "system" like this guy has/had to. im glad your friend and mr cheneys friend are both still alive. the thing is, people die from "accidents" everyday whether it be by bullets, cars, or what have you...and each circumstance is unique. some are a non fault... some go
thru the "system."

like i said...buck fevers different for everyone but doesnt excuse anyone from being above the "law". yes, accidents happen, but, in my opinion, from reading the article, i think there's more to the story than whats available. i wasnt there so i dont know. what i do know is i am entitled to an opinion so, i expressed it. you dont have to like it or agree with it and im fine with it either way. opinions are like bubblegumholes. everyone has one.

im sorry about your friend. sounds like me cheney or your friend didnt have to go thru the so called "system" like this guy has/had to. im glad your friend and mr cheneys friend are both still alive. the thing is, people die from "accidents" everyday whether it be by bullets, cars, or what have you...and each circumstance is unique. some are a non fault... some go
thru the "system."

No, there is a misunderstanding here. He was not my friend. As I previously stated, he was my father's friend and also a neighbor who lived a block away from my Dad. He moved to the neighborhood after I had left home. He, just like my father, has long since past away. But during a visit back home he told me about the story behind his glass eye. But he was never my friend. He was just an acquaintance to me.

Regarding your on-going reference to the "system", "the system" can vary too. An incident that might be prosecuted by one District Attorney, might get a pass from another DA.

For you to have implied that he must of had some kind of hidden motive, and that the shooting was not accidental, is rather reckless speculation, in my opinion. Yes, you have a right to your opinions, but I have a right to state mine as well, and comment when I consider statements to be solely speculative in nature, and taking the proverbial "shot in the dark".

a shot in the dark Definition in the Cambridge English Dictionary

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top