JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What if we raised the voting age, and enlistment age to 21 as well? Just asking.
Kind of an interesting view into the polarity of politics... el presidente suggesting we raise the age of purchasing long-guns to 21, but the left suggesting we drop the voting age to 16... what's wrong with keeping things how they were? Ridiculous...

I am sure glad I am old, it's a way of life:cool: So just a question, when you refuse young people guns to defend themselves is that just Darwins natural selection or just bad luck?

If people sincerely support the raising of the minimum age to purchase "ASSAULT WEAPONS" to 21, then they should stop sending 18 to 20 year olds overseas to get wounded and killed. Maybe, we should focus more on teaching our children responsibility, getting them away from violent games, shows and teach them manners, morals and yes, how to safely and responsibly use and own a firearm. If we would focus more on mental health, counseling and helping people find structure in their lives most of these shootings would end. In many more rural communities, teens have been carrying rifles to school for years. School shootings are a new phenomenon despite the fact that less teens own guns now than in the past.

What happens when a 25 year old goes into a school and shoots it up? Are they going to then say we need to raise the minimum age of "ASSAULT WEAPON" ownership to 30?

Then again, the fact that Trump wants to ban the purchase of "ASSAULT WEAPONS" from people under 21, also means he is acknowledging that there is such a thing as an "ASSAULT WEAPON". Basically, when the anti-gun politicians write up their gun legislation you can be sure that even your Ruger 10/22 will now be classified as an "Assault Weapon" and the very rifle that many young people use to learn how to shoot will no longer be accessible to them. Ruger 10/22 falls almost always under every classification of Assault Weapon by the gun grabbers. By Trump supporting special measures on ASSAULT WEAPONS he is more or less empowering the anti-gun politicians in their cause. By passing this measure, he is more or less giving legitimacy and creating a new legal defintion of "Assault Weapon" at the federal level. In fact, by restricting "Assault Weapons" from a certain age group that is classified as "adult", they are actually opening up the gates to further Assault Weapon restrictions and an eventual ban.

I wonder if Obama said he wanted to raise the age of "Assault Weapons" from 18 to 21, if people would still be so supportive and find ways to rationalize his decision as they are doing with Trump? I'm also shocked to see people here who actually support more gun restrictions. Guns are already illegal to be brought into schools. If students can acquire drugs and other illegal substances why cannot they get their hand on a gun? In fact, high schools are some of the easiest places to acquire illegal weapons, so banning guns from law-abiding 18 to 20 year olds is not neccesarily going to make them safer, since criminal-minded teens can easily acquire illegal weapons. When I was 14, I was offered to buy a pistol in my high school parking lot in Pullman, Washington of all places. I watched another guy buy the pistol from group of Mexican guys in the parking lot. In Chicago, there are more juveniles packing illegal pistols than they have law-abiding people carrying them.

BTW, I actually did vote for Trump and wanted to do anything to keep Hillary Clinton out of the White House. But, what if the Republican party does a 180 on us and they decide to proceed with their own anti-gun legislation? How much worse off will we be? I never liked Trump and as a person he made me sick, especially with many things he said. However, I never thought he would so quickly cave into the demands of the Democrats and liberal fascist media. During the election he was Mr. Second Amendment, Pro-Gun and would defend all our gun freedoms. We have couple mass shootings and he is already starting to negotiate our gun rights. I've been a card carrying Republican for years. However, that has changed and I am going to officially change my party affiliation to Libertarian and hope others do as well. That is not to say if there isn't some amazing Republican candidate that I may not change my mind and still vote for him/her, but I have been waiting too patiently.

Even though the NRA has definitely done a lot to irritate me, I am with the NRA on this one. Or at least I am with the NRA on this one for now, until they decide to change their mind.

I haven't read the board for a few days, so I apologize if this opinion has been stated already.

Why are you against the age limit thing? If you're 18 and in the service, you can't buy alcohol either. Never stopped us from getting some.
Being in the military has training, and an entirely different set of rules and expectations for responsibility with lethal equipment.

But I don't see why CIVILIAN kids under 21 should be able to BUY guns. Note that I didn't say own or use. But putting a barrier on an immature, angry, or mentally disturbed kid's ability to aquire the means to exact revenge at high speed and velocity seems like a pretty solid choice for civilians without the perspective. Same reason you can't drink legally until 21, and make decisions to bubblegum up your life (or others') so this seems pretty equivalent. Same reasonable rationale for the waiting period - which I also support.

There are good points in this, IMO.

What if we raised the voting age, and enlistment age to 21 as well? Just asking.

This could be a point for discussion at some time, but we're talking raising the age to buy a long gun from 18 to 21 in this one.

It popped into my the other day that today's teens/young adults aren't the same as they were when WE were that age. I'm 62. When I was 16 I had to get a job. That would have been about 1971. Not because my parents told me I needed to, but because I needed/wanted my own money. I did a bunch of stuff before I was 16 for money, but at 16 I got a real job. I don't think many 16 year olds get out and look for work these days. Not many 18-20 year olds seem to want jobs either. Wifey works for a large supermarket chain, in middle management, and has for 18 years. Before that she was in the same basic position at three other, smaller, grocery stores for roughly 12 years. It used to be that come May she'd get kids coming in to line up summer work. That hardly happens anymore. When she does get young people in, and they get hired, they have so many things going on they're very hard to schedule. There seem to be many things that are more important than their jobs. And most of them have no issue calling in a couple hours before their shift to say they can't make it....A sunny Saturday is a very popular day to not feel well. She has people in their mid 20s that aren't dependable, have no people skills, don't seem to get better at the job as time goes on. Too many of them just quit coming to work! Too many of these kids are way less developed mentally that we were at that time in our lives.

As far as I'm concerned too many of the current 18-21 year olds are more akin to 12-15 year olds in MY time. I don't really give a damn if they raise the age to buy long guns. And if it helps to get anti 2nd people of our butts, it's fine with me.

Kind of an interesting view into the polarity of politics... el presidente suggesting we raise the age of purchasing long-guns to 21, but the left suggesting we drop the voting age to 16... what's wrong with keeping things how they were? Ridiculous...

Yeah ^^.....Fricken ludicrous eh? Maybe in the future we can look to having a 19 YO President of the United States? I better be dead by then.

Not in California ...

No one cares about California. I still think what is eventually going to happen is a system where semi auto's are incorporated into the NFA or they run a system that parallels the NFA since no one seems to know what the NFA is . The background check they do at NFA isnt any different than a standard BGC the NICS does.

@Mikej I only brought it up because the conversation frequently went to enlistment age and voting. As far as a work ethic, I'm in my early 30's and got my first job the week after I turned 14. I signed my enlistment papers at 17. There is drive in my generation, and in all of them, but the laziest ones are also the loudest.

No one cares about California.

Quote of the day.

But about the NFA; it's pretty clear to people with a functioning knowledge of firearms.

That being said, a small "gun shop" at the Hillsboro show this weekend seemd to think that the shockwave and tac-14 opened up the floodgates for people to chop down surplus rifles to 14" barrels as long as the trimmed the stock down. An FFL didn't know that a weapon made from a rifle is an NFA item. He even argued with me.

7EA19877-DA0B-4228-BBA3-B49EAA27C966.png

Now that I think about it....enlistment/draft age was 18 probably because most at that age had hit a certain point of maturity? While at the same time being "moldable"? I suppose we should absolutely push to have the lawmakers increase the voting age and entering the military up to 21 also! Good suggestion.

I haven't read the board for a few days, so I apologize if this opinion has been stated already.

There are good points in this, IMO.

This could be a point for discussion at some time, but we're talking raising the age to buy a long gun from 18 to 21 in this one.

It popped into my the other day that today's teens/young adults aren't the same as they were when WE were that age. I'm 62. When I was 16 I had to get a job. That would have been about 1971. Not because my parents told me I needed to, but because I needed/wanted my own money. I did a bunch of stuff before I was 16 for money, but at 16 I got a real job. I don't think many 16 year olds get out and look for work these days. Not many 18-20 year olds seem to want jobs either. Wifey works for a large supermarket chain, in middle management, and has for 18 years. Before that she was in the same basic position at three other, smaller, grocery stores for roughly 12 years. It used to be that come May she'd get kids coming in to line up summer work. That hardly happens anymore. When she does get young people in, and they get hired, they have so many things going on they're very hard to schedule. There seem to be many things that are more important than their jobs. And most of them have no issue calling in a couple hours before their shift to say they can't make it....A sunny Saturday is a very popular day to not feel well. She has people in their mid 20s that aren't dependable, have no people skills, don't seem to get better at the job as time goes on. Too many of them just quit coming to work! Too many of these kids are way less developed mentally that we were at that time in our lives.

As far as I'm concerned too many of the current 18-21 year olds are more akin to 12-15 year olds in MY time. I don't really give a damn if they raise the age to buy long guns. And if it helps to get anti 2nd people of our butts, it's fine with me.

Yeah ^^.....Fricken ludicrous eh? Maybe in the future we can look to having a 19 YO President of the United States? I better be dead by then.

I can tell you what's different but opinions offend people here so I wont' waste the effort. You can see it plain as day how we got here.:)

Last Edited:
Quote of the day.

But about the NFA; it's pretty clear to people with a functioning knowledge of firearms.

That being said, a small "gun shop" at the Hillsboro show this weekend seemd to think that the shockwave and tac-14 opened up the floodgates for people to chop down surplus rifles to 14" barrels as long as the trimmed the stock down. An FFL didn't know that a weapon made from a rifle is an NFA item. He even argued with me.

The less people that care the better.

Ok here we are again the facts are :

Majority of crimes involving a firearm range actually from 21-35 and seems to be a very common pattern.
But seem to peak between age 26-30.

There exist no data at all to suggest age 18-21 commit more gun crimes and should be limited. While firearm crimes do rise age 10-21 this is not the danger zone. After age 35 the pattern stays steady.

Interestingly enough according to FBI stats Minorities make up just over 45% of firearms crimes whileand white males make up about 35% of all under age 21. The rest are other cultures and women.
But over age 35 more white males commit firearms offenses closer to 57%.

Point is as one can see the statistics are all over the map, restricting age to 21 actually wont change anything. Why school shooting may involve students, colleges and university shooting are generally done by those over 21.

FACT: Most gun crimes occur in the streets and alleys and homes not schools. In fact when compared to person on person crimes schools are under 5% of the over all person on person crimes. Where "firearms" related crimes on public school grounds are the lowest of all crimes committed on school property.

It Trump is using the FBI, ATF and weapons data nothing on public record suggests a age limit would do anything at all.

FACT: Most school shootings the firearm was not purchased by the student but stolen from parent, friends etc .

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top