JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Prior to "gunshow loophole" laws, it was common to buy and sell firearms without any kind of government paperwork. The government does not know about those sales.

Many states still allow private transactions without going through an FFL.

For anything, I ever did a background check on, they probably knew I had them at one point. But there are many firearms out in the wild that I sold P2P. Two firearms turned up lost and found. I was contacted about them, since I was the last person to do a background check with them connected to my name. I was able to give them the name and number of the people I sold them to, but they were never found. And I got to pick them up. Its like free money.

Last Edited:
Let's put it this way.

For most gun owners, the government knows who has guns and that is probably enough information for their purposes.

If it comes down to forced confiscation, the government will not leave your residence until they have thoroughly and diligently searched it, whether you voluntarily turned in firearms or not.

........for all you conspiracy numbskulls, just ask yourselves " where did the money come from to do the things you think the government does"
show me a line item in any state or federal budget that funds ANYTHING you are fantasizing about.
show me a government employee or elected official who is smart enough to run ANY of the schemes you fantasize about.

It just isn't there.

Note that things are different depending on where you are.

For instance......In HI......the law says that all firearms coming into HI must be registered. And of course, the transfers of all firearms are also recorded. It's been going on for a long time.

The budget of the Police Depts sees that the will of the legislature/people is carried out. And, I don't expect that every function that a PD does.....is clearly, line by line, broken down, for all taxpayers to see what it costs to perform that function.

So....show me a line? Rrrrright......

BUT....OK.....I'm nitpicking. And YES....the Police is usually a City Govt. function. So, it isn't usually a State or Fed. thing.

So....run your victory lap if you feel better. But, I must also say.......that calling some people "conspiracy numbskulls"???? Rrrrright......whatever, enjoy your lap.

Aloha, Mark

PS...*I believe that there is a Fed Law that does not allow for "list(s) or registration of gun owners" at/in the Federal Level. Though as always ....I can be wrong on that too.

*But also at the same time .....if silent (about something). It just means that it can be done, if it was desired.

Last Edited:
I just recently learned that buying a gun through an FFL doesn't mean the government knows what gun I bought. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the background check doesn't include any gun details. The form you fill out is the only place that has that info and the FFL keeps that in his files. I know there are exceptions for NFA items and some states have records and such.

An example of what this means is when the police need to trace a gun used in a crime. They first need to go to the gun manufacturer to find what dealer they sold it to. And so on until they get to the dealer that retailed it. Then they need to find and search that dealers FFL records to find the form you filled out which would then tell them you own it. If that FFL has closed business, then his records may already be with the ATF. I can picture a very large room with endless boxes of forms from out of business FFLs.

All that being the case, for anyone that bought guns 30, 40 or 50 years ago, how likely is it that this paper trail could be followed? A lot of things happen over that long of time. I'm sure it's at least a lot of time and effort and isn't 100% successful.

So.....the BATF officer has a tough job.

Good.

Why not computerize those files?

Yeah.....get some bids.

Wait.....
How much good will all of that do? And what will be the cost?

STOP, Stop, stop, right there..... We'll need a study.

Yeah.....let's get another bid for that too.

Know anybody.....that we owe a favor to?

Aloha, Mark

PS.......OP....do you even know why? A lot of American gun owners are opposed to a list (and/or UBC info) held by the Govt? I could say something but well, do some research for yourself. Hint: NAZI Gun Laws

BTW....have you noticed that some gun shops today use a computerized FORM 4473?

tin-foil-cat.jpg All hail the "conspiracy numbskulls" of the Internet (no offense intended...yes, it's a stolen picture, off of the Internet).

Last Edited:
Ever listened to the phone call the FFL makes (in Oregon anyway) when they do a background check? They give the type of firearm, the make, caliber, and serial number. They're not just running a background check on you, there is data collection being done on what you've bought.
That's correct.
In Oregon you also have to create an account with OSP. I don't know how long OSP maintains records. Someone told me OSP gun purchase records are expunged every 30 days.
In 2016 Kate Brown signed an executive order mandating that the state police keep such records for 5 years. Prior to that they were supposed to dump them after 6 mo.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads