JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Imagine I have a 50 Beowulf Rifle with 20" barrel that I counterbored .520 diameter by .250 deep to eliminate a worn crown. If the ATF were to measure my bore to see if it exceeds .500, would they measure only the rifled part of the barrel or would they also measure the counterbore diameter? If they measured the counterbore, would they shoot my pup?

"The ATF procedure for measuring barrel length is to measure from the closed bolt (or breech-face) to
the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device. Permanent methods of
attachment include full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding, high-temperature (1100°F) silver
soldering, or blind pinning with the pin head welded over. Barrels are measured by inserting a dowel rod
into the barrel until the rod stops against the bolt or breech-face. The rod is then marked at the
furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device, withdrawn from the barrel, and
measured."

Bruce

It shouldn't matter but when dealing with a government agency, common sence does not apply. You are following the spirit of the law since your projectile is still not over .5"

For a rifle, it appears the BATFeces turds measure from the top of the lands, as opposed to the bottom of the grooves.
A muzzle device is just that, a muzzle device, not a "bore", but W.D.I.K. The best answer to how does ATF do anything? Arbitrarily.

Joe

For the purposes of the National Firearms Act, the term "Destructive Device" means:
Any type of weapon by whatever name known which will, or which may readily be converted to expel a projectile, by the action of an explosive or other propellant, the barrel or barrels of which have a bore greater than one-half inch in diameter.

Exemptions:

a rifle which the owner intended to use solely for sporting purposes.

Bruce

It all counts, from breach face to end of the barrel, if it didn't then pin & welding a flash hider wouldn't work, but it does.
I gave this more thought and have to respectively disagree that bore measurement is considered all the way down to the breech. The exterior diameter of the 50 Beowulf case is well over .500. If they dropped a .500 pin in the 50 Beowulf chamber, it would swallow the pin. I suspect other chambers would as well.

That makes me wonder if they only measure the rifled portion of the bore?

If the atf included bores of pin and welded muzzle devices in their measurements, it seems like many muzzle devices would measure over .500, even an A2 flash hider, I'll bet?

I gave this more thought and have to respectively disagree that bore measurement is considered all the way down to the breech. The exterior diameter of the 50 Beowulf case is well over .500. If they dropped a .500 pin in the 50 Beowulf chamber, it would swallow the pin. I suspect other chambers would as well.

Yeah, I misread the 'bore' part

This...
And...

Just guessing, 'cuz the BATFeces turds will do what they want....
The bore is measured at the rifled part.
With a rifled choke in a shotgun....it will not be a rifle, because of removeability, and will have to maintain 18" barrel.
A 410, non removeable full choke, that gets the full choke zone rifled, would be a rifle, however.....I personally would maintain 18" of barrel to be safe(from the BATFeces turds).
I wouldn't cut down to 16", which would lose the choke zone anyway.

Joe

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads