JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Was told during a pistol transfer by an LGS that sec clearances cause firearms form processing times to take longer, has anyone else heard of this? This is back in my mind again as my form 1 eform is now at 175 days and Ive seen 4-5 of my friends forms be submitted and approved after my submission date. I know the ATF is a crap shoot more or less on what forms get approved in what amount of time but I seem to be consistently at the maximum or greater durations for approval.

I have a unique name but got a upin anyways to hopefully speed things up but no luck.

I take it that you are not at present engaged in whatever the àctivity was that required a clearance. A retired military position having higher level clearance. etc .Once you leave such service, your clearance becomes null and voiď on your separtion date.
You would need to obtain an updated clearance to return to that duty.
An exception would be if you lost your clearance due to some form of misconduct. And yes, that could slow down your NICS checks since it may require additional investigation.
You mentioned that you have an unusual name. Something of that nature might be causing your problems. Someone out there with a name similar to yours who has a checkered past.

Last Edited:
I take it that you are not at present engaged in whatever the àctivity was that required a clearance. A retired military position having higher level clearance. etc .Once you leave such service, your clearance becomes null and voiď on your separtion date.
An exception would be if you lost your clearance due to some form of misconduct. And yes, that could slow down your NICS checks since it may require additional investigation.
You mentioned that you have an unusual name. Something of that nature might be causing your problems. Someone out there with a name similar to yours who has a checkered past.
No sort of issues or flags such as misconduct that should be causing any problems. I doubt anyone else has the same name as me to be honest but even if they did the UPIN should clear that up.

Mostly just curious if anyone else has heard similar reasoning regarding processing times.

No sort of issues or flags such as misconduct that should be causing any problems. I doubt anyone else has the same name as me to be honest but even if they did the UPIN should clear that up.

Mostly just curious if anyone else has heard similar reasoning regarding processing times.
This would probably be the perfect situation to email the FBI to ask about the status of your form 1. Once you pass the BGC it would then be sent to the ATF. This would give you a look at where you are in the process, and if there is a problem you might be able to get it cleared up.

If you find yourself 5+ months out on a can etc first thing to do is to email the FBI at [email protected]
Give them your NAME, DATE OF BIRTH, SS NUMBER and your BIRTH STATE.

If they say that they have already sent it back to the ATF then you should call the ATF at (304) 616-4500. They will want your CONTROL NUMBER, and the SERIAL NUMBER OF THE ITEM. Save this info

The first part might tell you if there is a hangup with your bgc, and maybe you can fix it with then.

This would probably be the perfect situation to email the FBI to ask about the status of your form 1. Once you pass the BGC it would then be sent to the ATF. This would give you a look at where you are in the process, and if there is a problem you might be able to get it cleared up.

If you find yourself 5+ months out on a can etc first thing to do is to email the FBI at [email protected]
Give them your NAME, DATE OF BIRTH, SS NUMBER and your BIRTH STATE.

If they say that they have already sent it back to the ATF then you should call the ATF at (304) 616-4500. They will want your CONTROL NUMBER, and the SERIAL NUMBER OF THE ITEM. Save this info

The first part might tell you if there is a hangup with your bgc, and maybe you can fix it with then.
Ok thanks, I'll look into that. I have had this issue with every single NFA item. The first Form 1 I had to contact my local rep to get it cleared up and suddenly everything went through.

Ok thanks, I'll look into that. I have had this issue with every single NFA item. The first Form 1 I had to contact my local rep to get it cleared up and suddenly everything went through.
Well good luck. Best friend is South African on a green card (10 years here). His take a tad longer but they do go through.

Never effected me when I was activity duty with a security clearance. I've been out for 5 years now though. I've never waited longer than 10 minutes for my BGC to clear and my last Form 1 took 27 days.

Then I would definitely contact the FBI liason and ask them why every one of yours get the slow walk. They should be able to

Yea im gonna reach out. I actively hold a clearance (before anyone complains, that's not confidential information) so that's why I posed the question. They know every single thing about me…dont see the reason for the delays.

Last Edited:
Never affected me when I was activity duty with a security clearance. I've been out for 5 years now though. I've never waited longer than 10 minutes for my BGC to clear and my last Form 1 took 27 days.
That seems to be the case for everyone I know. Keep getting messages from my buddy like oh I just got my 2nd…3rd etc approved….all submitted after me so that's fun.

That seems to be the case for everyone I know. Keep getting messages from my buddy like oh I just got my 2nd…3rd etc approved….all submitted after me so that's fun.
The government sucks. Period.

Never effected me when I was activity duty with a security clearance. I've been out for 5 years now though. I've never waited longer than 10 minutes for my BGC to clear and my last Form 1 took 27 days.
Great thing about Texas is my Concealed Carry license is an automatic pass. You're only waiting for the carge card to clear

That said, getting a subsequent clearance after a previous clearance is somewhat easier because the investigation for the previous clearance was already done. Although, it does depend on the time since the last clearance and the nature of the subsequent clearance. But IME, when going from one employer to another, when both require similar clearances, the paperwork and time delays are shorter and easier.

I would think that for anything that requires a subsequent background check/investigation, at least some of the data/paperwork is already there for the ATF so it could go thru quicker, or at least, not take any longer.

I don't think a security clearance would retard the processing time. My two Form 1s just came back today at 162 days. No security clearance, multi state CHL and prior Form 4s. I know the Form 1s are taking longer because of the SBR amnesty.

JP9

I don't think a security clearance would retard the processing time. My two Form 1s just came back today at 162 days. No security clearance, multi state CHL and prior Form 4s. I know the Form 1s are taking longer because of the SBR amnesty.

JP9
Yea was thinking that as well, that is even more annoying that paid apps are getting pushed back for the freebies. oh well

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top