JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would never teach someone to shoot, go hunting, or do anything with firearms unless I trusted them with my life.

I would have to know they would use the highest moral character in the lowest emotional situations.

And that's very few people I have met in my 34 years.
And that's why I never taught my ex to shoot. I could smell it she was going douse with gas while I slumbered....jus sayin'

Brutus out:eek:

Since it is my business, and my insurance, I absolutely profile.
Sorry all you PC wanna bees,everyone profiles.Human nature to make sure you are safe.
If we didn't profile we would be like a lamb walking to a wolf den.
It all depends what you did with that information your brain just analyzed.
And that comes with age,knowing how to see the differences between people we meet
Are we socially inept and hate everyone equally or do we not have any friends or just like being around folks so we put ourselves in danger?
I can say I tend to be middle of the road. I get more like my dad who din't like folks till they proved they were OK. And I have given folks a chance till I see they are "F" ed up
Sometimes when it comes to shooting,I'll act like a Cali guy and shine someone on and never have any intent of going anywhere with them and a gun.
And sometimes I will flat out tell them I wouldn't be in the same county with them and a gun
I'm fairly particular with who I'll trust at a shooting range so yes in deed I profile ,heavily who I'll shoot with and who I will not

This thread really makes you think. You are essentially giving someone the ability to be much deadlier and efficient if they go sideways.

Im sure Chris Kyle would like a do-over.

Common sense and good judgement will be your greatest ally,
I thought football (soccer for us 'mericans) riots were the #1 cause of death in Glasgow?

Those aren't riots.
I thought football (soccer for us 'mericans) riots were the #1 cause of death in Glasgow?

Those aren't riots, those are slight disagreements that Glaswegian's always win.

I do profile in that I only make offer to people I feel I could be friends with. My first requirement is courtesy to others and personal responsibility.

It's all about behavior, not what pigeon holes they fit in. I would be very down on the gun shop person described above as acting negatively to a gay couple.

I am guilty of unconscious stereotyping / profiling to my embarrassment. While out to lunch with two ladies in the SF Bay area who are probably lesbian (I don't ask as it's none of my business) one shocked me by saying that she would like to shoot a gun. She turned out to be a regular range buddy.

And the list goes on... I encouraged one black gent with dreadlocks to join me in PPC as he was doing better than most on the public range. (Considering his behavior and the two gents with him I later began wondering whether he might be an Oakland undercover officer.)

I avoided another black gent with dreadlocks and a steely glare who brought in women to train. (Black Muslim/New Black Panther??)

Yeah, like I said I work with those I think I could see as friends and those are my standards. As long as they are courteous and responsible I can get along with anyone. Unfortunately doesn't describe as many people as I'd like.

Being a liberal sort I assume everyone is wonderful but that doesn't always work out.

I have been quietly introducing new people to shooting for the past couple of years. Some of them were openly opposed to the very existence of guns, after taking them target shooting, and introducing them to the stewardship of shooting areas that me and my friends shoot at they not only enjoy shooting, but now own guns too.

For shooting to survive we really need to make it accessible to everyone, and keep keep politics, race, and religion out of it. Otherwise we're bubblegumed, and we'll only have ourselves to blame.

I only take friends or their friends shooting. Never had someone be anti-gun at the end of the day. Mostly I just hear about how their face hurts from smiling all day long;).

I tend to be the so-called expert in my circle of friends , not sure how scary that is lol.:s0140:
But when there is a new shooter that is introduced which is usually someone "S.O." I watch to see if they are comfortable handling a firearm and have safety discipline in place. Most 99% of the new people sweep us at least one or do not clear and come walking back with the barrel in our direction. Then I see how they are about guns I find more people are scared then anti-gun it can look very similar.

I tend to be the so-called expert in my circle of friends , not sure how scary that is lol.:s0140:
But when there is a new shooter that is introduced which is usually someone "S.O." I watch to see if they are comfortable handling a firearm and have safety discipline in place. Most 99% of the new people sweep us at least one or do not clear and come walking back with the barrel in our direction. Then I see how they are about guns I find more people are scared then anti-gun it can look very similar.

I'm a nervous every nelly until I know the new shooter has it down pat. Never leaving their side while the gun is loaded.

It's my friends that "think" they know it all that scare me the most - at least I am also my circles gun guru so I have some sway when I say things aren't safe, it gets changes asap.

I'm a nervous every nelly until I know the new shooter has it down pat. Never leaving their side while the gun is loaded.

It's my friends that "think" they know it all that scare me the most - at least I am also my circles gun guru so I have some sway when I say things aren't safe, it gets changes asap.

Ive only had to duck behind a truck once, guy I was with was an army trained guy so I said ok he'll know how to shoot. Takes his AK-47 30rds gives a Rambo stance and proceed to at 30feet I kid you not shoot at a rock wall. No one was hurt but something hit my hat (I don't wanna know what) . I never went with him again. I see him often but never go if hes going. I think he was offended when I yelled at him. Well I was offended he tried to kill me.:rolleyes:. I am sure everyone has their horror stories.

I only take friends or their friends shooting. Never had someone be anti-gun at the end of the day. Mostly I just hear about how their face hurts from smiling all day long;).

They were workplace colleagues and I monitored them very closely. To be honest I think the worst folk are at the extreme end of the spectrum, they tend to dislike veterans in my experience too.

Yes I do, but not in the political or social context. I will - and have - refused to train anyone that I believe will not exercise sound judgement when using a firearm. In our business, stupid means potential for deadly and liability, and I do not want that on my conscience if one of my students gets stupid. The hotheads and idiots can go elsewhere.

I really don't mind yelling at people when it comes to unsafe gun handling.So i tend to tell folks I don't know what to do until they show me they do know how to handle a gun.
Staying by a erson while the gun is loaded is a very good idea

I think he was offended when I yelled at him. Well I was offended he tried to kill me.:rolleyes:.
Yeah offending people seems to be one of my traits. I and some friends were at the Centralia show,before the shot heard 'round the county,and some guy,I suspect Italian since he talked with his hands,waved a lever gun around while talking.
Everyone was watching but no one said anything...for about 15 second... till I told the guy to clear the gun if he was going to point it at everyone
Looked at me,looked at the rifle and opened the action
If you are endangering me I will let you know or leave right away

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top