JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Speaking of hipstaaas..

I was out in the forest shooting all morning, when around 1:30 or so a jacked up truck with 6 clowns wearing spongebob pajama pants rolls up and proceeds to start blasting AR's..

My thought is.... If ya can't put on some freaking pants and face the day, get a haircut and get a real job :p :D and I'm getting the heck out of here :s0001:

Obama Smoking Pot 504.jpeg

Would you guys teach this guy to use a gun?:D

Well, :D as a rock in the beans, just because someone buys a gun it doesn't automatically make him on the side of the good guys. Guy in Roseburg is a good example. People are arming themselves and the good old boy is teaching them to shoot but how many are looking into the character of the person they teach?

Gun owners can be their own worst enemies when they think teaching someone to use a gun will bring them around. Somebody taught that killer to run a gun and all ya'll should look real hard at those you teach.

Yes the majority out there are good people but we as a group should work together to weed out those who will misuse the right. we should be careful with the knowledge we give out too.

So anyway to protect our rights you should profile before we teach. Edited to add think about what you are doing, are you teaching gun safety or training a killer.

Absolutely. There are some bad apples in the bunch and we should be careful to weed them out. But it would be responsible (something I don't expect from our anti-gun adversaries) to not lump all of us in with the few bad ones. And there is a double standard. How many drivers will be lumped in with the gal in OK that ran those folks down? Yet one jackweed with a gun does something stupid and we're all implicated.

Absolutely. There are some bad apples in the bunch and we should be careful to weed them out. But it would be responsible (something I don't expect from our anti-gun adversaries) to not lump all of us in with the few bad ones. And there is a double standard. How many drivers will be lumped in with the gal in OK that ran those folks down? Yet one jackweed with a gun does something stupid and we're all implicated.

You can profile people before you teach them to use a gun, a thread on what to look for would probably get people thinking....o_O

I need to personally know them, and not just for a few months. Also determine if they really want to learn and are going to take it dead serious. Because it is. Also if they have a fear of firearms can they over come it and become comfortable or become a liability. But then I have only trained less than a half dozen in basics. Close friends, kids, relatives.

Brutus Out

Not going to get preachy but do you guys look at a person's life and lifestyle before you teach them to shoot?? Where do bad guys learn to shoot?

Not going to get preachy but do you guys look at a person's life and lifestyle before you teach them to shoot?? Where do bad guys learn to shoot?

If by lifestyle you mean someone with a criminal past, people you know are drug users, alcoholics, show poor judgment, have anger issues or other known mental issues that may cause impairment, seem incompetent with tools or just an overall lack of intelligence, then yes, yes I do.

From what Ive seen, most common bad guys dont really shoot for schitt. Spray and pray. Mostly, they succeed by getting the drop on you close up. However, there has been a lot of info out about gang members going into the military and using their training to teach other bangers. Mostly white supremists and hispanic gangs.

The psycho types are often great shots and they learn from all sorts of places including the military. They seem to spew a lot of rhetoric and are the ones where no one is surprised they went sideways.

I look a lot at temperament and maturity. Any rhetoric that is based on the political fringes is a red flag. Any history of mental health issues scares me away. It takes a while before the subject even comes up.

Oddly enough, with many friends coming from work now, I find myself assuming they must be ok to shoot with since I work in an armed profession. Boy, has this made me think twice about the people I work with.....

Lots of emotional issues with people, jealousy kills a lot of people. Would you teach a friend to shoot who has a hot jealous temper? What other traits do you look at?

i only teach close friends and family. i know them and am comfortable around them. i learned my lesson going shooting with a friends friend one time. bad judgement all around. i left when the cooler opened.

What do you look for?

The same things you look for when you're selling guns to people.

I usually have a chat with people before I seal the deal.

Real bad guys with very bad intentions are going to do their best to hide that, unless they suffer from a mental illness that presents itself physically.

Regarding people I've taught, failure to follow verbal instruction is a strike. I've found most people will improve with the growing confidence that comes with practice.

I would never teach someone to shoot, go hunting, or do anything with firearms unless I trusted them with my life.

I would have to know they would use the highest moral character in the lowest emotional situations.

And that's very few people I have met in my 34 years.

I'll teach about anybody to shoot. I don't hang around criminals, and of course won't shoot with or teach a prohibited person or anyone who acts like a felon. Or anyone who gives me the creeps. I don't offer until I've gotten to know a person. So far nobody has asked me before I'd spent time around them. I suppose if someone I just met asked I'd slow the roll and strike up conversation first.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top