JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A heavy drinker or drug user, would you teach them to shoot? What character flaws tell you that you better back away?

It can be a disaster either way. Alcohol is a depressant and can cause permanent solutions to temporary problems. On the other side of that, some popular drugs can be stimulants which can bring a whole set of issues on their own, especially when they run out and they need more.

Today I would fail that test, but things might have turned out different if someone had taken him out blasting back then.

Just opinion but I believe character flaws start very early in life so I don't believe with his background he would be any different. From his birth on up it was never a normal up bringing. Anyone who read his family history would never have voted for him in my opinion.

Depending on how far you get into it, guns are similar to martial arts where you can learn discipline and learn to perfect their use by controlling your body and mind. I could see it as therapeutic.

On the other hand, so can golf or fishing or any number of things that wont result in you feeling bad if they choose to abuse it.

So really there are plenty of traits that say don't teach them to use a gun. Feel free everyone to add reasons you won't teach people how to use a gun. It shows we are a responsible crew here on this site and not just about gun safety but guns in the wrong hands.

I think its a lot easier to identify an adult that is too far gone. However, kids are kids and can be goofy. Some kids respond well to the added responsibility and it actually gets them focused. You can progress or regress with training as you identify its impact on the kid.

Thats the way I was growing up. I wanted to master the rifle and my Dad reinforced my good behavior with range time. It can be almost athletic in a way where you learn to manipulate your body to decrease the variables in your shooting and enhance true repetition. Its the same with life when it comes to reaching goals or desired outcomes.

If a person has an upbringing that balances the value of life with the meaning of life then I believe they will behave responsibly. When it's out of balance one way or the other there is no end to what evil can happen. Philosophy and theocracy developed by caring parents will give a foundation to build a really good life on.

Those who never have that kind of upbringing have a big struggle to balance life and end up with all kinds of problems to deal with. If they win then it all works out, lose the struggle and you do things that deny you gun ownership.

Life can be a struggle and there are times in it that a gun doesn't fit in. Help your friends in their stuggle and guide them on the right path with a firearm. Talk to them about life and see where they are in it.

Yep I know, I am getting all preachy...:rolleyes:

i only teach close friends and family. i know them and am comfortable around them. i learned my lesson going shooting with a friends friend one time. bad judgement all around. i left when the cooler opened.

I had one years ago where we went shooting with some folks we knew. Already 'long time' gun owners. One of them showed such poor safety with his guns, including sweeping all of us with a loaded gun as well as immediately ejecting a cartridge after a misfire, that we called it quits and never went shooting with him again. Sometimes you don't know until you actually get a gun in someone's hand.

Right now, my daughter is learning basic safety with an airsoft pistol. I let her shoot it in the backyard with me, all the while, I'm watching for what she does with the muzzle and how she handles it in general. I have to say I think she's really taking it seriously.

Since it is my business, and my insurance, I absolutely profile.

It is unfortunate that I don't get to do it before classes start however. The hardest students to teach are the ones who "know it all" already; who then promptly demonstrate they have no awareness of concepts like muzzle awareness.

I always tell them before we start that safety violations means that you get asked to leave and I keep your tuition.

And of course, everyone signs a waiver.

On a more srs note - I have only taken a few newbs shooting before. Most of my friends are / were already gun people before shooting. I currently don't have any associates who I am friendly enough with that we would do anything outside of work with.

But I profile people before deciding if a friendship is worth pursuing. I wouldn't take a random schmuck off the street and put a sharp stick in their hand let alone a gun.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top