JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Do you find the term 'gun nut' derogatory?

• Yes

Votes: 31 26.7%
  • No

Votes: 55 47.4%
  • It depends (and I'll explain below)

Votes: 30 25.9%

• Total voters
I've found in general the reason why the news media and non gun nuts refer to us as such is due to a lack of understanding of facts. The NRA and pro gun establishments have done a piss poor job at correlating the actual facts. The NRA does a good job at propagating the old white man racist stereotype fairly well. Every time one of my friends accuses me of being a gun nut I take them shooting. Challenge them that actually gun violence is in DECLINE and that these "assault rifles" make up less than 250 murders a year. Actually hammers, bats, gold clubs, and other blunt objects make up 1700 murders annually. I challenge people with these facts and prefer to be called an enthusiast. The entertainment of shooting almost always overrides peoples fears and biases about gun ownership. However, in my experience the gun community is a small loop that has done a poor job at embracing people on the outside. This is why gun ownership has actually gone in a slight decline.

So in a nutshell. Being a gun nut is not that insulting but rather I consider it an indicator for me to educate and convert a non believer.

By " gun nut " do you mean freedom loving patriotic American?
No offense taken 👍

7B2A8C2D-F643-44D3-95F8-4F5460C63C36.jpeg

As @DunRanull mentioned, it depends upon the circumstances, who's saying it, and their intent.
And what @Flopsweat said, too.

So, "American firearms aficionado" works for me, too...

I have some friends that are pretty far left and absolutely want guns wiped off the face of the planet (for civilians). That alone could be a whole other thread of discontent and rage fueled debate. The way some of them talk about "gun nuts" is absolutely derogatory, and without a doubt, disrespectful and generally classifies all gun owners as the same and in a negative light. That said, I know plenty of people that use the term "gun nut" in much more lighthearted ways, and I know plenty of people that are absolutely "gun nuts" and 💯 proud to be. It's all about context.

In a world where being politically correct is the trend, The term "gun nut" is improper. It carries a negative connotation.

Words do hurt - in fact they can cause fights, even wars.

There are a lot of labels I would like to use openly to describe some people. However, if I did so in public, I would be arrested in some jurisdictions.

I have been called things much worse than "gun nut". But what's good for the goose is good for the gander. If you want respect - then show me respect!

I realize this is a zombie thread, but today use of the term "gun nut" is no only derogstory, but downright dangerous. With federal red flag laws being discussed and the communists in control of the party in power, their reasoning is that ANYONE that owns firearms or has an interest in them is mentally ill, prima facie evidence that their firearms must be seized. :s0001:

I find it offensive , mostly when the leftists all lump 100+million gun owners into ONE group of Deplorables and then decide to hold us all responsible for the actions of ONE! I find it offensive that I constantly have to defend my god given right to protect my gift to life, and that those arseholes think they are somehow morally superior to me because I just have to own a gun to feel safe! I Find it extremely offensive that It is demanded of me to turn in my stuff that I paid for, that was legal when I bought it, or built it, and that somehow those actions will be good for me and the rest of society! I am deeply offended that some arsehole takes it upon themselves to decide where, when, or IF, I have any rights, just as they tell me I can only have 10 rounds in a bolt action or lever action only, that my black rifle should never be allowed in the hands of civilians, that it's only a weapon of war! I find it offensive that I am being marginalized for living, for not being afraid or them, or some other boogieman, and that I actively participate in self protection as part of my natural rights!

Yea, I AM a gun nut!
57 rifles, 26 hand guns, 11 shotguns,
13 black powder arms, and a couple bows and cross bows!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top