JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Do you find the term 'gun nut' derogatory?

• Yes

Votes: 31 26.7%
  • No

Votes: 55 47.4%
  • It depends (and I'll explain below)

Votes: 30 25.9%

• Total voters
I get called that by inlaws that are anti gun. At that point yeah I find it absolutely obnoxious. I guess if I know they mean it as an insult I take it as one. Yet I hear people I hang around describe themselves as a "gun nut" and of course that does not bother me.

Totally depends on who says it if I am going to want to back hand them or not.

Nah, words only have the power you give them.

Doesn't hurt my feelings if someone wants to comment on my race, sexual preference, hight, weight, my politics etc either.

I have called myself a gun nut.

I guess if I wanted or cared to be PC, I could find it offensive.

Hear it from one of the "Progressive Nut Jobs" on MSNBC or CNN and it irks me.
It's all part of the narrative that anyone who feels the need to own a gun in this day and age is either paranoid, crazy, stupid or a racist white guy with bad intent. Or a blood thirsty Bambi killer!

Of course among like minded people, gun nut, car nut etc. it doesn't bother me.

The way the left likes to manipulate the language though maybe it's time to be more careful of how we describe ourselves.

As Garg said, "firearms enthusiast, or 2nd Amendment supporter" would be better!

Hey, only we can use those words!

That's about where I would leave it - if I'm talking to gun people, yeah, gun nut is a good term. But coming from the anti-gun crowd, it is said, and meant, to be offensive, a term of derision, so yes, I find it offensive. But then again, I find the existence of the anti-gun crowd to be offensive, so....

Gun nuts unite!!!

:s0003::s0007::s0010::s0014::s0015::s0019::s0022::s0038::s0034::s0041::s0133::s0042:

Excessive smilies in honor of our missing "No Flinch"

image.jpg

If a conservative tells you your a gun nut He's jealous. And wants what you have.
And that's like a pat on the back.

If a Liberal tells you your a gun nut. He's afraid of you, because he has no way to defend himself.
He knows if you want to. You can do whatever you want.;)

Both are fine with me! :s0140:

It all depends on context. If they are using the term to give offense, then I'll gladly take it. If they are just describing an out-of-mainstream interest, then it's just either descriptive or self-deprecating.

elsie

It depends on who is using the terminology and how they are using it.

If it is another "gun nut" or someone like that, and they simply mean it in a non-derogatory way, then I take no offense.

I never used to take *any* offense, but then people started to equate it with serial killers, insane people who do mass shootings, etc., and that is when I started to take offense when people used it as shorthand for someone with guns who is mentally unstable.

Is considering a 2nd GP 100 make me a 'Gun Nut'? I own two Jeeps so I must be a 'Jeep Nut' then also. All kidding aside like others it depends on the context and company. It's easier to handle though than some of the other things I have heard.....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top