JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Do you find the term 'gun nut' derogatory?

• Yes

Votes: 31 26.7%
  • No

Votes: 55 47.4%
  • It depends (and I'll explain below)

Votes: 30 25.9%

• Total voters
a462e7ad7c67d73de4d696154a7fba6e.jpg

I get called that by inlaws that are anti gun. At that point yeah I find it absolutely obnoxious. I guess if I know they mean it as an insult I take it as one. Yet I hear people I hang around describe themselves as a "gun nut" and of course that does not bother me.

Totally depends on who says it if I am going to want to back hand them or not.
Turn to your spousal unit, grin and say "Discerning taste, my dear"

Last Edited:
Certain groups, such as the anti-gun crowd know they can't stand on reason, facts or even knowledge. So, they turn to the lowest form of attack - the personal attack.

I think Socrates said it best:

"When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser."

It depends:

Just like black people call other black people the N-word in good spirit, gun owners call other gun owners the N-word in good spirit. That said, it is inappropriate for anyone else.

It depends:

Just like black people call other black people the N-word in good spirit, gun owners call other gun owners the N-word in good spirit. That said, it is inappropriate for anyone else.

This isn't directed at you Booger personaly:

I've used the deaded "N Word" (I really hate that term and find it more derogitory then the actual word it reffers to) with friends or people I have come into contact with in friendly terms and have never, in the south or the PNW, had someone take offense to it. So I really don't see why everyone has to turn every term into a cause.

Just because you can be catagorized in a certain way doesn't give you some right to use a word or term exclusivly in a positive way and anyone else useing it is personally attacking your group.

Noboday is up in arms about phat people:(

Call me what you want...just don't call me late for dinner!

If "gun nut" is kinda like the 'N word" we get use it amongst ourselves, but it becomes derogatory when used by anyone that doesn't like us...It's still a slur, because the usage of "nut" in that way has never been particularly positive. Unlike the "dreaded N-word" though, which has no other meaning, the word "nut and nuts" are in common everyday usage and will not go away.
I'd much rather see the "nut" term attached to the Anti's as in "anti-gun nut".

I much prefer "Gun Buff"
....because it doesn't conjure up visions of a guy with his head spinning 360 deg while emptying his gun into a theater.

Or, how about...?
hoplophile
-def: A person who enjoys using, caring for, and collecting weapons or tools.
Possibly most Liberals will think it's just yet another gender to be embraced and fall over themselves to be inclusive and non-judgmental...maybe even force some poor schmuck to bake you a cake.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top