JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Will the AWB pass?

• Total voters
Do I believe it will pass? Yes. Do I hope I'm wrong? Yes.
We all know it won't solve any problems. Right now there's a lot of raw emotion out there and people think they need someTHING to blame. Glad all these enlightened "experts" have figured out a way to keep us safe. All this will do is turn law abiding citizens into criminals. Better raise the tax rates some more though. They're gonna need more prisons.

At the national level, it should be difficult. I don't see 33 House Republicans rolling over very easily on this issue.

But at the state level, it's much more likely to happen. In Oregon we have a 16/14 Dem/Rep split in the Senate, but an even 30/30 split in the House. State level bans can also be instituted through voter measures, but that would have to wait until the next election cycle.

Compared to 2004, there are a lot more people who own guns, have CHLs, etc. There's probably 10x more CHLs now than in 2004 and the commensurate level of gun knowledge is a lot higher.

However, oneharmonic is right about the risk at the state level. Look at California - huge state, dominated by a couple very liberal cities. Or Illinois, New York, etc.

Either way it goes, if it happens, it's a road to nowhere. If they don't do any actual research and just react, they'll make another arbitrary ineffective law. Five or ten years down the road, when it has proven worthless, they'll say they did not go far enough and they'll dig deeper. And if they do research, they'll find out there is nothing they can do... and that won't give the public the head on the platter they are clamoring for.

Any way you slice it, if they are going to blame the gun and not the person holding it, and talk about a law that actually would have prevented the last two shootings -- where in both cases the guns were stolen -- you would have to make a law that prevents people from steeling guns. That seems impossible, unless there is some sort of law that says you have to keep your guns in a safe, and makes the owner responsible for theft (?!). The other road they could go down would be that you make an AWB without a grandfather clause, and they become simply illegal to own. Someone is eventually going to say that publicly, I'm waiting to hear the reaction when that is proposed. (I don't own a TV, for all I know they are already suggesting that?)

I have a bad feeling it will pass merely because the sheeple want a solution to their perceived problem. They blame the weapons and not the wielders. Facts are irrelevant in this discussion, it's being driven by emotion alone.

The sheeple want something done and attacking law abiding citizens is "something" even if it won't effect the criminals behavior.

Additionally, to actually do anything about the true problem would be to increase mental health coverage and, regardless of Obamacare, that's an expensive proposition and won't be addressed.

If you don't already have the AR or AK you have been wanting, it may be getting too late to get one. Dealer supplies are low and it looks like a ban of some kind is coming. Same for magazines. It is getting hard to find high-cap mags now. After a ban it will be impossible. Welcome to the black market.

Those of us who already have all of the hardware we need are probably going to be OK, unless the grabbers decide to go after ammo.

I know quite a few folks who are into owning and shooting so-called "assault weapons". To a man, there is not a one of them who has any intention of obeying any kind of gun turn-in laws, nor will they meekly knuckle under to any kind of confiscation program. None of these people are crazy nutcases. They are all responsible, law abiding American citizens. However, if state or federal politicos want to turn us all into outlaws, then they had better be prepared to face the consequences both at the ballot box and in the streets. Politicians haven't shown any sign of possessing real courage in the past, so I'm not particularly worried about any of them growing a spine now in spite of the recent shooting tragedies.

I'm amazed at how many 'gun owners' I hear on the radio and forums split hairs between different styles of guns. All of you that don't think we should have 'military style assault rifles' just keep in mind that your bolt action elk rifle will go through those precious bullet proof vests and who really needs that much power?

There is all kinds of bipartisan support for getting rid of the constitution. Both sides want absolute power and find hang ups with that ragiddy old document getting in the way. We've singed the corners on the 4th and 5th now they will take a real swing at the 2nd.

The Mayan's weren't too far off. I'm fairly sure this is a death blow to America.

Congress knows what a hot button issue this is and the ramifications that happened after the last AWB meaning a lot of the people who voted for this got tossed out on their asses. We all know the majority of the Ban was window dressing regarding flash hiders and bayonet lugs and did little if anything real minus the 10 round magazines and banning the importation of some weapons. I suspect that we will hear about this for a few weeks and it will slowly dissipate baring another incident. We need to push for actions that will have a immediate effect on soft target security not some plan that would take years and billions to implement and still not fix anything. Short of rounding up every single gun in this country you can not prevent crazy people going crazy. So in effect all you end up doing is making the whole damn country a soft target. Secure the schools with armed personal and remove gun free zones that provide target rich locations for would be nut jobs.

At the national level, it should be difficult. I don't see 33 House Republicans rolling over very easily on this issue.

But at the state level, it's much more likely to happen. In Oregon we have a 16/14 Dem/Rep split in the Senate, but an even 30/30 split in the House. State level bans can also be instituted through voter measures, but that would have to wait until the next election cycle.

This is what I'm worried about. An AWB at the national level won't get through the House Republicans.

But an AWB may very well get through the Oregon Legislature, and the gov will sign it = California style ban. Not good. May be time to renew my membership with the Oregon Firearms Federation.

I'm amazed at how many 'gun owners' I hear on the radio and forums split hairs between different styles of guns. All of you that don't think we should have 'military style assault rifles' just keep in mind that your bolt action elk rifle will go through those precious bullet proof vests and who really needs that much power?

The problem is that we, as gun owners in general, let ourselves get pushed into defense. Whereas we should be on the offense! Why were the consitutional 2A rights infringed in schools? Why can't a law-abiding teacher (who has already passed some background checks to be able to work with kids if I'm not mistaken) that we trust with our kids, pretty much the most important thing in life to most parents, not exercise his/her fundamental right which has been affirmed (not given!) in the bill of rights? Sure, many are nowadays brainwashed Brady-puppets, but the ones that aren't don't have the possibility to protect themselves and our kids. THAT is something we should attack with force! Not get on the defense about why I would need 30 rounds in a mag. Want to know why? Because I can and because I want to.

Why do I drive such and such car? Why do I wear XYZ type of pants? Because I can. Don't play the underdog. If I want to dye my hair purple, I can. People might look at me funny, but that's it. If I want to have a black tacticool rifle, I can. It does the same thing as grandpa's wooden stock rifle, in many cases even with weaker rounds.

One of the attractions of the United States and one of the reasons for me to come here is the fact that taking care of yourself is considered a good thing. The idea that government is not (intended to be at least) all-encompassing, a revelation for citizens of roughly every other nation in this world.

Don't defend choices, attack the assault on your natural rights with more power than your rights are being attacked with!

"Because I can" is actually already 3 words too many wasted on this.

I think maybe we've all been approaching this from the wrong angle. I can't even take any more media coverage at this point. It's like being surrounded by millions of 14 year old girls with PMS. They're mad and they don't know why. This is the topic they've decided to fixate on for a while. They're screaming and sobbing and blaming everything around them for their own discomfort. Nobody's concerned with F&F, Benghazi, or the fiscal cliff anymore? Meanwhile, they've synched up and worked each other in to an outright frenzy. THERE IS NO LOGIC HERE. We cannot reason with them -- especially using logic as a base for discussion. I'd like to think that it'll all be back to "normal" in a week. Unfortunately, by that time our house might be in smoldering ruins.

I did not vote yes or no, as currently, there is no proposed legislation to ban any type of firearm. That said, I do believe we will see some sort of anti-gun legislation passed. The real question is: will it have any teeth. In the end, I suspect not. Why? Because most Americans are ignorant about firearms. ARs are evil because they look 'mean'; but Grand Pappy's 30-06 with wood and blue steel looks friendly and 'outdoorsman-like'. In the end, I bet we'll see a ban on 10+ capacity mags and ridiculous bans on arms with flash hiders and bayo lugs. I think we all need to relax a bit and not get ourselves worked up into a frenzy lest we become like the vicarious media.

Cheers,
DJM

Last Edited:
I pretty much agree with DJM. It's a pretty complex deal given there are more guns out there than ever before but less households having guns in them. Most gun guys I know do not have, nor are they interested in having, anythng tacticool; however they do defend other's choices to own them.

If, Heaven forbid, some idiot shoots up another school public sentiment may get stronger against so-called assault weapons, but maybe if nothing untoward happens everyone will calm down.

As noted, too complex and too many variables going on right now.

I suspect it will be tough to get one passed. My reasoning for this is that Obama each time he has said something about it has said he would do everything within his power to do it. I think as cocky as he is if he thought he could do it he would come right out and say its gonna happen. But he leaves himself an out by saying he is gonna try. Then when it doesn't happen he will say he tried.

What really gets me is the fact they dont care about facts. (I Figured this out 1st hand with my sis when I found out how left wing she really is, AND We are a southern family!!) But all she cares about is that one of the victims resembled her son so it drove her crazy into saying "they should take away ALL guns" I was in complete shock. I tried and tried to reason with her and explain the FACTS and she just turned it around to say if it was my kid I would have a differant opinion on it. Obviously not hearing a word I said to her.

Sad times we live in even our own families want to give up there rights. I finally had to leave the room she was just so ignorant to the situation obviously all the media and social media monsters feeding into peoples fears. And they dont care because it doesnt effect them to them "who needs these rifles?" And I say "I do, because I can and because it is MY RIGHT as an AMERICAN!!" Maybe they will stand up when its our 1st amendment on the chopping block next....?

Really makes me recall 9/11/2012 when some @$$ made a hateful video about the Muslims and gave them an excuse to attack our ppl on our soil. So should we remove our 1st amendment because of this 1 mans decision? Then WHY and HOW is this even a discussion? This topic makes me utterly sick, not because I like "assault weapons" more then innocent ppl but because it is our RIGHT as AMERICANS our CONSTITUTION was written for a REASON and modern society forgets that. The 2nd amendment is the same as it always has been, just because we have modern weapons that dwarf our fore fathers firepower is no excuse to remove it. Our fore fathers valued the importance of staying on the cutting edge of weapon and firearm technology. They are rolling in their graves at this tyranical non sense.

First they came for the 2nd Amendment, But I didnt stand up because it didnt effect me... Then they came for the 5th Amendment, But I didnt stand up because it didnt effect me... Then they came for the 1st Amendment, But I didnt stand up because i was too late..... Well I AM STANDING And I WILL REMAIN STANDING AS LONG AS IT TAKES To my family to friends and to anyone I hear trying to spread their filthy lies and ignorance.

Anyone wanna refute this with some FACTS no more emotions just FACTS......?

As a society we have the attention span of a lab monkey with ADD on crack. In the next six months people won't be so scared and it will go away legislativly, I do believe an Exec Order will be forthcoming however.

As a society we have the attention span of a lab monkey with ADD on crack. In the next six months people won't be so scared and it will go away legislativly, I do believe an Exec Order will be forthcoming however.

Let us know at the end of next year, if you still believe this way.

Last go around, there was an amnesty and many people turned in their guns.
This time, we have Homeland Security and they don't have to knock, they just knock the door in and grab what they want.

the thing about en executive order that most people seem to ignore or not understand:
executive order needs to stem from current law, the constitution or congressional statute.

Let us know at the end of next year, if you still believe this way.

Last go around, there was an amnesty and many people turned in their guns.
This time, we have Homeland Security and they don't have to knock, they just knock the door in and grab what they want.

There was no amnesty as a part of the AWB of 1994 since the guns and magazines were still legal if they were made pre-ban. I'm thinkng it's going to be more of a death by rule than by law.

Personally, I'm stocking up on really cool revolvers and speedloaders, they're a bargain right now lol.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top