JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am not here to comment on American politics, Sir. Since I've had no formation in their making or implementation I can neither advise not criticise.

However, I will say that from an outsider's POV, all your current problems with regard to the Second Amendment are coming from within the USA, from your current President down.

As for your comment about more gun laws, I never once even hinted at it being a solution to your ever-growing problems.
The biggest problem isn't anti-gun politicians working against gun rights. It's the politicians who say they are pro gun and support anti gun bills. It's people in our own community who don't realize where compromise leads, and has already led.

My thought is to learn to shoot first before even thinking about self defense. If shooting at humanistic shaped targets bothers you then don't shoot at them. There are a multitude of other targets to shoot like gongs, pop cans, bowling pins, clay pigeons, ect. I've seen a couple good ol' boys playing Battleship at 50yds with .22 rifles. (they were side by side shooting at two different targets, not at each other) Yes there is a tremendous responsibility that goes with firearms ownership but they don't have to be a single use item to be used only in the gravest extreme.
Learn the skill set to be a good shot first, and that knowledge is transferable to any firearm and situation.
Replying to myself again,
This came up to me in a conversation about aiming for a knee as a way to not use deadly force, as in incapacitate. My answer was that I don't think I could because I've never tried to miss. I spent 13 years in the military and another 40 years as a competitive shooter and never not even once have I tried to not hit the center of the target.

I have read that our founders put the 2nd Amendment in because in the Magna Carta the English people were finally allowed to keep weapons in their homes with which they could defend themselves. Found that very interesting because if true at some point in their future they allowed that right to slip away…. Like Wikipedia this may/may not be true but needs more investigation

I have read that our founders put the 2nd Amendment in because in the Magna Carta the English people were finally allowed to keep weapons in their homes with which they could defend themselves. Found that very interesting because if true at some point in their future they allowed that right to slip away…. Like Wikipedia this may/may not be true but needs more investigation
It certainly needs a lot 'more investigation'. After the words '2nd Amendment', all is utter garbage.

Well that was my point. I just said that I found it interesting. Been wrong before, and chances are good it'll probably happen at least one more time. lol
Yup. I was and continue to be a dope. They've got this thing called the intranet that lets you look things up BEFORE you say something stupid! Dang it! Sorry all.

BTW -- the Magna Carta had to do with the King and the new powers granted to the nobles. (Nothing in there for us normal folks)

My thought is to learn to shoot first before even thinking about self defense. If shooting at humanistic shaped targets bothers you then don't shoot at them. There are a multitude of other targets to shoot like gongs, pop cans, bowling pins, clay pigeons, ect. I've seen a couple good ol' boys playing Battleship at 50yds with .22 rifles. (they were side by side shooting at two different targets, not at each other) Yes there is a tremendous responsibility that goes with firearms ownership but they don't have to be a single use item to be used only in the gravest extreme.
Learn the skill set to be a good shot first, and that knowledge is transferable to any firearm and situation.
I agree, @oremike. The initial learning to shoot needs to include safety but need not involve self defense. I first shot handguns at family weekend outings in woods or mountains under supervision of parents. It was just a fun thing to do, of the same sort as shooting baskets or other games or sports involving aiming projectiles, but with safety talks involved. But lots of outdoor stuff involved safety talks. Learn to recognize a rip tide and dont swim into it. Don't tease or feed alligators. They are actually faster than humans, even on land. Don't jump or dive into unfamiliar water where you can't see what is underneath the surface. Don't move in such a way that you unbalance the boat. Using handguns for self defense was not part of the conversation and was irrelevant, since I was only about five and was years away from owning a gun of my own. My parents always carried guns in the woods, but that wasn't discussed either. The shooting was never the entire purpose of our outings. Usually we were hiking, picnicking, driving around seeing stuff, etc. When we lived in states with serious woods and mountains, shooting wherever there was a good backdrop and privacy was one of the recreational activities along with fishing, hiking, boating, swimming, grilling stuff, shell collecting, rock collecting, etc. When we lived in crowded Northeastern areas we beachcombed, fished, boated, visited historical sites and museums, etc, but did no shooting. My dad only started talking with me about firearm self defense when I was years older, had my own .22 rifle, and was approaching puberty.

Guns and shooting are fun for many of us completely aside from self defense or hunting. I speculate that at this point getting pleasure from aiming and throwing stuff is actually a genetically determined drive. So we enjoy hitting stuff with thrown rocks and have snowball fights. And when older we play darts, shuffleboard, pool, basketball, baseball, football, soccer, etc. Nearly all of our sports involve an aimed projectile. In my adult life I did a certain amount of handgun self defense drills. And even more drills aimed at developing hunting skills. But I spent hundreds fold more time just plinking and shooting in ways that were fun but not necessarily useful for anything.

Hello @tac . I've always found your posts about gun laws in UK and elsewhere an interesting perspective. I never took them to be suggestions that our laws should be more like UK laws, and as far as I recall you've never said that.
Carol

I can understand the law abiding part of the hoops of fire but how does the system in the UK determine if a person is
'sensible' ?

'Sensibility' is most likely an innate, mental proclivity and would likely require some sort of 'psych eval' to determine.
Yeh, lots of events could instantly flip the switch on someone previously determined to be "sensible".

It's like he never had a particular 'character role' he could display repeatedly.
Not an actor nor do I play one on TV...
Good actors with every fiber of their being try not to be the same character over and over again.
They aspire to transform themselves into another completely different person in each film.

DD
Who finds Papa Murphy's take 'n bake pizza to be similar to pizza but definitely not actual pizza.

Not an actor nor do I play one on TV...
Good actors with every fiber of their being try not to be the same character over and over again.
They aspire to transform themselves into another completely different person in each film.

DD
Who finds Papa Murphy's take 'n bake pizza to be similar to pizza but definitely not actual pizza.
Vince Vaughn is a perfect example. I was over him after Old School. His schtick never evolved.

So, how did it go?? Let us know after he/she has had the experience with the class! I personally took 4 different first time gun handlers and shooters in 2020 as they wanted to arm themselves for protection. They had very different ideas about guns afterwards, all good. Two didn't get around to purchasing a gun and two did. The two who didn't do all like shooting now though (with my guns and ammo of course) :s0112:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top