JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I go to get some basic handgun class in a couple of weeks. The person I'm going with might have an issue with it, but not about learning handguns. If it was just me I would be ok with it. I want to do everything I can so he can have a good time. I think he kind of likes handgun but not his idea of a good time , but because I'm interested he will willing to join me. I want him to have a good time, and if I need to adjust what I do too. I think we can both have a good time and learn a lot.
Offer to being some zombie targets. That way you get the outline but not shooting "humans"!

We complain that we need new blood and fresh hearts and minds and then when we get some and have real world questions the OP gets lit up!

No! We would rather kick a nOOb to the curb for having the awareness to realize that there are real consequences at the terminal point in the bullet's trajectory.

You attract more flies with honey than vinegar.

Spitting on them is just uncalled for.

Brawl in cell block 99 was a different direction for him.
I had to go watch a trailer to refresh my memory. If it pops up on HBO or Netflix I'll give it a look. If not I'll probably keep it filed under Movies I'll never watch or spend money on.

So was Hacksaw Ridge which he did just prior to Brawl in cell block 99
Seen that twice, I have the DVD. I must have glossed over him both times. :D

He was the sergeant in basic that tried to get Doss discharged and was later saved by him on Hacksaw Ridge.
I inherited the DVD. My 15 y/o was kind of meh too. Throwing rocks into a ventilated and puddled brain pan stuck out. But it was just one of those movies that didn't reel me in like SPR or the subsequent spin offs or prequels on HBO.

Except the NRA CCW (concealed handgun) class, this class uses IDPA or USPA targets.

With a similar group that I discussed earlier regarding the t-shirts (post #102); I did a similar drill using a moving target approaching them. I've seen this done in the past and, with less experienced shooters, they can turn into VERY bad shots, even though technically the target is getting easier to hit since it is getting "bigger." I was pleased to see that the group put their training to practice and shot at the approaching targets very well. It is satisfying to see when folks who train even semi-regularly benefit from their efforts.
True, although the OP referenced a basic pistol Class. I stopped teaching their basic class because you could not reference self defense, the pistol couldnt be referred to as a weapon, etc. I'm an NRA certified LE Tactical Shooting Instructor. NRA is so weirded out about "bad press" that any photos during the class were strictly verboten.

We complain that we need new blood and fresh hearts and minds and then when we get some and have real world questions the OP gets lit up!

No! We would rather kick a nOOb to the curb for having the awareness to realize that there are real consequences at the terminal point in the bullet's trajectory.

I'm just here to talk about PIZZA!!! ;):D

I respect your efforts to guard the flock but go back and read post #23. His intentions here were a bit suspect then he just crapped the bed with the whole coffee table thing. Sorry to say but your noob is pegging the trolll meter.

Last Edited:
I respect your efforts to guard the flock but go back and read post #23. His intentions here were a bit suspect till then and he just crapped the bed with the whole coffee table thing. Sorry to say but your noob is pegging the trolll meter.
Or, many of us have been into firearms since we were young. Someone just coming into the culture, (we can call it culture, right?), probably has many preconceived notions about everything firearms and their operation, handling and storage. I know I did back in 2011when someone from ifish suggested this site. I'm not one to jump into a bunch of people at a party and start talking/asking a bunch of questions. I'm the kind of person that watches and listens from the sidelines for a while and then eases in slowly. It's not going to hurt anyone here to use your experience and answer questions/comments from a newb. If you don't want to, don't, go elsewhere. On the slight chance the newb is totally sincere that's a decent thing to do.

My SIL outlived my BIL. They both had a fear of guns, although my BIL did hunt, he was not a gun guy. This same SIL just this month asked me to remove my weapon in her home. So I took it off and rolled it in my coat even though I knew on principle that was making the room less safe.

However, she is also the woman that purchased an AR for her 16 yr old son.

Everything is not black and white, my friend.

My SIL outlived my BIL. They both had a fear of guns, although my BIL did hunt, he was not a gun guy. This same SIL just this month asked me to remove my weapon in her home. So I took it off and rolled it in my coat even though I knew on principle that was making the room less safe.

However, she is also the woman that purchased an AR for her 16 yr old son.

Everything is not black and white, my friend.
Cray-cray this one is.
Unless she just likes to be the boss of you.

:D

Q: What is the expected threat? And why are we instructed to shoot center mass? Center of what mass? A snake's mass? Tin can? 2 Liter bottle?

So do we shoot cadavers of varying races? What?
True, although the OP referenced a basic pistol Class. I stopped teaching their basic class because you could not reference self defense, the pistol couldnt be referred to as a weapon, etc.

My father, a WW2 veteran, taught me to shoot starting at age 12. Since then, I have had additional firearms instruction at various times and venues. I don't recall the terms threat, center of mass, self defense, or weapon ever entering the equation. It was always about safety, breath control, sight picture and alignment, trigger control, and hitting the target as accurately as possible, whether with a rifle or pistol.

I guess there are various reasons for learning to shoot.

My father, a WW2 veteran, taught me to shoot starting at age 12. Since then, I have had additional firearms instruction at various times and venues. I don't recall the terms threat, center of mass, self defense, or weapon ever entering the equation. It was always about safety, breath control, sight picture and alignment, trigger control, and hitting the target as accurately as possible, whether with a rifle or pistol.

I guess there are various reasons for learning to shoot.
With that kind of teaching, you're probably a very good shot.
Many shooters I've been around don't have those elements on their radar screen.
Blasters and occasional hunters come to mind.

The center mass gang is all about self defense and defensive shooting inside of 7 yards.
Usually pistol.
If you can hit at 25 yards (pistol), you can really smoke 'em at 7 yards.

Cray-cray this one is.
Unless she just likes to be the boss of you.

:D
To be fair, the family dynamic is quite complex, not the least portion of which is that I actually ascended to the Big Chair in the family biz when my BIL passed. I can assure you it was an accommodation I would not normally make for anyone else.

And yeah, Cray-cray is appropriate where certain subjects are concerned. Mostly those requiring logic. 😖

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top