JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got stopped by some sheriff's deputies (not game wardens or state trooper) while hunting waterfowl on private land and asked for ID. I presented him with my drivers license, concealed carry permit, and hunting licenses. The officer had informed me that a passing motorist who lived in the area didn't recognize me and called in a possible armed trespasser. I was soon let go after giving them the permission letter of the property owner (who couldn't be reached then) and some of their personal details . . I don't mind that. I would like someone to do that for my place if someone was trespassing.

I think I may have been an idiot for years. The event made me recall a YouTube video of a guy complaining about being asked for ID. It made me ask about whether I am/was required to have ID while hiking on public lands. While in the wilderness hiking I open carry a pistol. I'm not shooting, inside a jurisdiction that prohibits open carry, or violating any laws that I know about.

On several trips I've forgotten to pack any ID by leaving my wallet in the vehicle and forgetting to put it in my pack. While hiking with a pistol, am I required I have ID on me? If I wasn't suspected of any crime? Thoughts? Things I don't know about? Thanks.

Yep ... the necessary and very specific requirements necessary for the Sheriff Deputies to EVEN TRESPASS upon said private property may not have been met at all. They can only come on to somebody's private land if they are in HOT FELONY pursuit or are serving either an arrest, search or inspection warrant. No exceptions.

Respectfully. I am not an attorney. The deputies may huff. They can puff. But you were simply within your rights to tell them politely that you have written permission of the owner. You might even have to slowly draw out that important written permission letter and present it to them. That is all. They have no PC for ID. None.

But ... and here is the other heavy Jack Boot Falling. Out here in SW OR USA we are lucky. Small mountain valley town. We tend to know all local law enforcement. Known on sight. Your situation usually would not happen here. Also valley reputation. We have all White Hats. We are very lucky. But a bad law enforcement officer?

They can ask you to identify yourself if there is reasonable belief a crime has been committed.
Cant just go on Private property to ha-rang you because they don't recognize you.
Name and birthday no ID required all that is required at a non traffic stop.

!!! READ THE NEXT PART !!!
** Police Must make contact if someone has called you in It suck's but that's how it is.**
Even when they know there is nothing wrong they still have to make contact.

Remember you don't have to answer ANY question's.
BUT
If you are an Ahole a simple 2 min conversation can go sideways real quick.

Last Edited:
If you are polite and respectful, but didn't have the papers on your person (say they were locked in your truck) How do you think the deputies would have taken it?
If you were demanding of your rights?

I certainly believe that rights not exercised are soon gone,
But being respectful is the better path.

You should carry your ID so they can indentify your body quicker.

IMG_4075.JPG

v0lcom13sn0w. "nothing to hide if you're doing nothing wrong, show it to him and be done with it."

You must be joking. This is the attitude of folks in Nazi Germany in the 1930's.

"Papiers bitte!" Vas? Neine papiers? Ist du Juden?" You get the idea.

One of the worst things a law abiding citizen can do is to ignore their Constitutional rights. This is so important. So important.

Law enforcement can not stop and ask you for identification unless he has great suspicion that you are have recently committed a crime.

Also known as probable cause. If he is wrong and screws up, then you own him, his agency and the jurisdiction he works for.

Respectfully. I am not a lawyer.

v0lcom13sn0w. "nothing to hide if you're doing nothing wrong, show it to him and be done with it."

You must be joking. This is the attitude of folks in Nazi Germany in the 1930's.

One of the worst things a law abiding citizen can do is to ignore their Constitutional rights. This is so important. So important.

Law enforcement can not stop and ask you for identification unless he has great suspicion that you are have recently committed a crime.

Also known as probable cause. If he is wrong and screws up, then you own him, his agency and the jurisdiction he works for.

yes, everyonce in a while i like to say something sarcastic though i can see it being hard to interperate over typed words. :D

one time a buddy of mine was on his own land shooting squirrels when a LEO from the city rolls up(where he was at, the LEO was trespassing, friend has a 12ga in his hand) and asks him "hey, what are you doing?"---in a rude tone.

my buddy: " excuse me? what am i doing? i live here and as far as im concerned you're trespassing. lets start over. Hi, my name is _____ i live here, and you are trespassing. may i help you?"

officer- with a dumbfounded look on his face
"uhhh, just looking for _____'s shooting range, i have permission to go shoot when i am off duty"

my friend:
"ok let me call my neighbor to confirm... ok yep, he said youd be showing up. let me show you where it is and just an FYI, the road you are on belongs to me. his road to access his range is the next one over. have a nice day!"

Probable cause doesn't mean they can search you it mean's they can detain you for a reasonable amount of time to investigate or get a warrant either to search me or my stuff, Or let me go on my way when no warrant is issued.

Officer Short ( Clastkanie PD) pulled his duty weapon on me during a traffic stop in Rainier. We are about 20 mile's out of his jurisdiction.
I filed a complaint, He got early retirement by 7 year's within 2 month's of the complaint. ( Full Retirement with benny's)
The entire city police was crooked to the bone.

City council closed them down.
POLICING: Clatskanie contract to be decided in October

Chief get's the hammer. This was the excuse they were looking for to take him out.
Committee recommends revocation for police chief

Last Edited:
I always duck hunt in the same place in Skagit County I get checked all the time usually it's the same warden after a few years and multiple checks he doesn't even ask me for I.D. or my hunting license any more he just ask if I got any birds and what kind lol but the new younger guys ask for everything and always want to check my gun and see what kind of ammo I got and BLA BLA BLA what you going to do DAMM ROOKIE 'S LOL

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews