JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The stock price plummeted 18% after a quarter-to-quarter gain still fell short of expectations. It's the worst day of trading in company history and executives painted a bleak picture going forward.

"It's going to be painful for a while," said Dick's Chief Executive Officer Edward Stack.

He lowered Dick's earnings guidance by 17% for the year because of a slump in hunting sales and sporting apparel.

"The hunting business was very soft, and [same-store] sales declined double digits," said Chief Finance Officer Lee Belitsky in an earnings call, noting that the decline was "worse than expected."

The hunting category includes not only camouflage clothes, deer blinds, trail cameras, duck decoys and tree stands, but also guns. The company sells rifles, shotguns and black-powder guns typically used for hunting, including "small frame" rifles for kids.

Demand for hunting gear has been trending down. Dick's plunge follows anemic earnings earlier this month from Cabela's (CAB), a retailer of guns and other hunting products, and Sturm Ruger (RGR), a gun manufacturer. The Federal Bureau of Investigation reported a plunge in background checks for gun purchases in July.

He said that too much supply has led to "promotional pricing" in the hunting industry to try and get rid of the "inventory overhang."

Dick's stock plunges on poor gun and sports sales

Not surprised at all. They cowered down and got rid of evil black guns after one of the shootings. Bad move.

Not surprised at all. They cowered down and got rid of evil black guns after one of the shootings. Bad move.

My thought exactly. Anyone remember GI Joe's (the store, not the action figures)?

I will say I bought a softball mitt from them this year. Only place I could find one and it was a necessity because I coach a girls softball team.

Yup, haven't shopped there for years. Won't even consider looking.

Can understand if it's a last min need like a glove but otherwise I wouldn't support the store.

My thought exactly. Anyone remember GI Joe's (the store, not the action figures)?
Both actually, lol.
GI Joe, GI Joe, fighting men from head to toe... or something like that.
I loved GI Joe's. I had a bad feeling when they started monkeying around with their business and shortened it to Joe's. That was the death knell.

Yup, haven't shopped there for years. Won't even consider looking.

Can understand if it's a last min need like a glove but otherwise I wouldn't support the store.

Yeah, totally last minute. My old glove ended up missing during a game and we had practice the next day. Fielding practice to be exact. So a glove was a necessity! And I'm left handed, so it's really tough to find a leftie men's softball glove with less than 24 hours notice. Otherwise, I would have searched online or elsewhere.

I remember a year or two ago another member was chiding me on here because, "I was rediculous," thinking that a boycott would work on Dicks because runners and snowflakes would keep them profitable and gunners were powerless to make our displeasure felt. I have a long memory and a lot of others on here do too! :)

Not being a Dick myself*...I wasn't aware they even wanted me to shop there. o_O...
I really didn't feel that I was a part of the "niche" market they were obviously courting.

* my opinion

Last Edited:
When I retired, I went to work for "Joe's" @ the Beaverton store and had a blast, co workers that were fun, and a first class store manager! I suffered through the liquidation, and was then hired by Dick's doing the same thing! Talk about a night and day switch, Dicks came in hot and heavy with several stores and a bad attitude towards doing any thing that would legitimize them as sporting goods retailer. they wouldn't carry arms that people actually want, the ammo selection was dismal, and the fishing dept was really lacking! I remember several meetings with the VP who consistently ignored requests and advice on stock! One of the biggest "losses" was the hunting dept, they flat refused to carry gear and accessories pertaining to the PNW way of doing things, and they continued to only carry the same crap the east coast stores had, fishing was much the same way! I knew my days were short when they fired buyer after buyer, and continued to promote appraisal over every thing else, and gave president to Nike and North Face! I can go any where and get those brands and pay 10 to 30% less!!! The long and the short, Dicks is nothing but a Predatory retailer who treats employees as less then human, they ignore customers desires and opinions, think customer loyalty is deserved, not earned, and are only interested in making sure Nike and Northface get top billing and support, while the rest of the store ( and employees) suffers!

GO Suck A Rotten Onion, Dicks non sporting goods! Don't go away, mad, just go away!:p:p:p Just deserts:p:p:p

BTW, I am banned for life from Richards because I was honest with customers and recommended they shop else where, and they were very unfriendly toward CC ( no store policy for or against) for which I was "Caught" and terminated with out proof!:eek::eek::eek:

I did not care for Dick's even before they turned against us, so I spent little time there. Since they turned on us, I have spent zero time there. So I hope I helped.

G.I. Joes...Great place at one time. But they turned into a yuppy outdoor golf/ski/exercise store at the expense of their gun counter. Long before they went belly up, I seldom shopped there. And changing the name to Joes's, to be more politically appealing, helped me distance myself from them.

When I retired, I went to work for "Joe's" @ the Beaverton store and had a blast, co workers that were fun, and a first class store manager! I suffered through the liquidation, and was then hired by Dick's doing the same thing! Talk about a night and day switch, Dicks came in hot and heavy with several stores and a bad attitude towards doing any thing that would legitimize them as sporting goods retailer. they wouldn't carry arms that people actually want, the ammo selection was dismal, and the fishing dept was really lacking! I remember several meetings with the VP who consistently ignored requests and advice on stock! One of the biggest "losses" was the hunting dept, they flat refused to carry gear and accessories pertaining to the PNW way of doing things, and they continued to only carry the same crap the east coast stores had, fishing was much the same way! I knew my days were short when they fired buyer after buyer, and continued to promote appraisal over every thing else, and gave president to Nike and North Face! I can go any where and get those brands and pay 10 to 30% less!!! The long and the short, Dicks is nothing but a Predatory retailer who treats employees as less then human, they ignore customers desires and opinions, think customer loyalty is deserved, not earned, and are only interested in making sure Nike and Northface get top billing and support, while the rest of the store ( and employees) suffers!
Sounds just like why Borders Books tanked...

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews