JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Best fix I've seen for a dog latching onto something . . .

Top on my list of things to research is how to quickly incapacitate a dog with a 3.25" blade. (To clarify, when I have the blade, not the dog.)

Pit bulls aren't dissuaded by pain and have been seen to stay in the fight even after taking multiple handgun caliber-size shots. I'm working on a strategy of quickly rendering it unconscious by cutting a major artery, or immobile, by severing a tendon.

Top on my list of things to research is how to quickly incapacitate a dog with a 3.25" blade. (To clarify, when I have the blade, not the dog.)

Pit bulls aren't dissuaded by pain and have been seen to stay in the fight even after taking multiple handgun caliber-size shots. I'm working on a strategy of quickly rendering it unconscious by cutting a major artery, or immobile, by severing a tendon.

Yes, and they seldom refocus onto something else. I've literally reached into pit bulls mouths to pull out other animals, (mostly cats who strayed) and never been bitten by the pit, (however the cats have bit me several times!)

The best way to stop a pit is to avoid them. Condition yellow always helps!

And contrary to popular belief, NO animal is 100 percent reliable, least of all, humans!

I watched my 17 y.o. daughter put herself between her leashed dog and a American bull terrier off leash She grabbed her dog and gave the bull terrier her back. I rushed in helped my daughter. This was up at Opal Creek falls this past summer.

I talked to her afterwards telling her she shouldn't put herself in harms way for a dog but she said she wasn't thinking and was reacting. I get it. Young and emotional. I just hope she learned from it.

"Control your dog or I will". Yup. Agreed.

Sounds justified.

Put muzzzle inches from attacking dogs rib cage and squeeze.

And I say bullbubblegum on playing.

Neighbors dog three times came onto our driveway to snarl and growl and menace us when we got out of the car. Turned my back and it came closer. Chocolate lab was the breed.

Any closer and I would have ended its life right there.

I talked with the owners two houses down and told them it was aggressive... she said "she is just a puppy".... no woman, your dog is a dog...

=====≠•

I also am reminded of being at my dads... they have a neighbor out in rural farmland who has a dog that will come out into the road aggressively.

"If you walk by, shoot it and leave it to die in the road.. don't move and call Lane county sheriff" says my dad. "Stay in the spot you shot it until the sheriff arrives, and call me so I can backup the story of it being aggressive.."

He has told me a few times I should go walk his dog to rid the road of the problem.

Last Edited:
Laws in WA are pretty clear. Any dog that shows uncontrolled aggressive or vicious behavior can be shot. Period. End of story. Case & Point: A few years back I was hiking in the William O. Douglas Wilderness (Yakima Co., WA) with a 3 year old German Shepherd female (well trained and on leash). Two full grown male Rottweilers came running down the trail barking and growling and attacked my dog. Their owner was nowhere in sight. I tried beating them off with my hiking pole, but to no avail. I let go of my dog's leash in the tussle and she made it about 50 feet before they had her down chewing her up. By this time the Rotties' owner was in sight and I told him I would shoot them if he did not get control of them pronto. However, I only had a small .32 acp and had to get much closer to feel comfortable shooting near my own dog. By the time I got there he got control of his dogs. Needless to say I gave the guy a piece of my mind. Because I had drawn my weapon, when I got home I called the Sheriff's office and told them of the encounter. An officer called me back. He told me, in no uncertain terms, that I was basically an idiot for not just shooting both the dogs when they first attacked. He said I had the tool to do the job and did not use it, and had put myself and my dog in further danger by not doing so. So......being a quick study.....when I go into the woods these days its a 9mm, .45 ACP or .357 mag that is on my hip, ready to go. If an unleashed dog approaches and shows any aggression whatever, the gun comes out pointed in a safe direction and I tell the owner to leash it. They have always complied and gone on down the trail. If the dog looks sort of friendly and does not show any aggression, I still tell them to leash their dog and stand ready to respond if they don't or if their dog shows aggression on approach. My dog is always leashed well before anyone approaches (he's good about alerting to others' presence on the trail, long before they arrive). Moral of the story: Fool me once, shame on me. Twice ain't gonna happen.

As they say, guns don't kill people. Neither do Pitbulls or Rottweilers. Unless "we" train them, or allow them (training/breeding) to do so.
So there has NEVER been a case of a pitbull or Rottweiler attacking and killing unless it was 'trained' to, or allowed to? Tell that to the people who lost their lives to them or their families. Seems to me all the reports of these 'things' killing people have been due to them being loose and of their own volition and without the benefit of training or having been 'allowed' to do so. Regardless they appear to be primordial creatures with large heads and jaws, dull lifeless eyes and a bodies that are incredibly muscle bound and built for aggression.

So there has NEVER been a case of a pitbull or Rottweiler attacking and killing unless it was 'trained' to, or allowed to? Tell that to the people who lost their lives to them or their families. Seems to me all the reports of these 'things' killing people have been due to them being loose and of their own volition and without the benefit of training or having been 'allowed' to do so. Regardless they appear to be primordial creatures with large heads and jaws, dull lifeless eyes and a bodies that are incredibly muscle bound and built for aggression.

You obviously know NOTHING about dogs, and especially about large dogs. BUT...I have documented deaths of children caused by Pomeranians, Chihuahuas, Cocker Spaniels, Golden Retrievers, Poodles, St Bernard's and about a dozen other breeds, along with usual suspects: Pit Bulls, German Shepherds, Rottweilers, Chows, Akitas, and Dobermans. Its hilarious how many dogs are "pits bulls" not because of their breed, but because of their actions. If they attack someone or someone's pet, they MUST be a pit bull. I've challenged people to pick the pit bull out of a group of 25 dogs and the vast majority of the time, only a few people per hundred get it right. Are pits dangerous, yes, just like any other animal of its size. Are they ugly, hardly. It's obvious that you have an agenda. I don't trust ANY dog, at any time. I've watched a completely benign guide dog with years of service suddenly attack a police officer for no apparent reason. Fortunately the officer was well experienced with large dogs and neither was injured seriously, but they are animals, who do what they do for reasons that are not self explanatory!

I used to raise bear and lion hunting dogs. Willy was a 100# bluetick coonhound. I had him on a chain hunting leash down in the Columbia River bottom one day when a couple of unleashed pitbulls came trotting up. They were all stiff legs and hackles up, but Willy just stared them down. I told the other dogs' owner who showed up 30 seconds later to leash his dogs, because if they attacked Willy he'd kill them. The guy quickly leashed his dogs as Willy and I moved on. I wasn't lying. My hunting pack had a strict pecking order, and after me, Willy was the dominant dog. He got to that position by fighting every other dog in the pack and forcing them to submit. It was a bloody process and involved a lot of sewing up split ears and such.

WillytrotSnowSM.jpg

I used to raise bear and lion hunting dogs. Willy was a 100# bluetick coonhound. I had him on a chain hunting leash down in the Columbia River bottom one day when a couple of unleashed pitbulls came trotting up. They were all stiff legs and hackles up, but Willy just stared them down. I told the other dogs' owner who showed up 30 seconds later to leash his dogs, because if they attacked Willy he'd kill them. The guy quickly leashed his dogs as Willy and I moved on. I wasn't lying. My hunting pack had a strict pecking order, and after me, Willy was the dominant dog. He got to that position by fighting every other dog in the pack and forcing them to submit. It was a bloody process and involved a lot of sewing up split ears and such.

View attachment 314843
It ain't the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog

My Big Ol' Monster Neufie was never aggressive around other dogs or people until he and I were attacked by the off leash Pit. Now, My Big guy is very protective or me while out and about. It has taken a long time for my dog to learn to trust other dogs, The Saying once bitten twice shy applies here, and he still is weary of all dogs until he gets to know them, and this breed is known for that any way, so it's probably going to take a lot longer for him!

My Big Ol' Monster Neufie was never aggressive around other dogs or people until he and I were attacked by the off leash Pit. Now, My Big guy is very protective or me while out and about. It has taken a long time for my dog to learn to trust other dogs, The Saying once bitten twice shy applies here, and he still is weary of all dogs until he gets to know them, and this breed is known for that any way, so it's probably going to take a lot longer for him!

Great dogs, but that's a lot of hair! Our pits have never been aggressive towards humans, unless someone unknown tries to get too close to the grandkids. Then the teeth come out, and if you brave the teeth, they have this incredibly painful front incisor pinch to remind you. They have never broken the skin, but there has been a blister or two! They have never actually used canines on a person.

My dog was the same way, until she almost had her leg chewed off by a German Shepard, now she wants to bite every animal she sees

And then there are all the mixed breeds. Here is my take and mine alone. If a dog approaches heightened sense goes up. Dog approaches aggresively hand to gun in holster. Attack happens first clear shot ends the attack. Irreversible damage can happen in seconds to my dog my wife my grandson my dog or a stranger. Just me.
Here's my defense kit for walking around with dogs in the neighborhood. 1 ounce fliptop plastic squeeze bottle full of household ammonia, and a pocketknife . I also have my 9 mm shield. I have little doubt the ammonia alone would be sufficient to deter any animals especially if they get a burst on their snout or in their eyes which, of course, would be my primary target.

IMG_20161001_0713045_rewind_kindlephoto-291127758.jpg

Put the blade in the back of the neck at an angle inward,edge toward spine,pull thru spine.
Or go underneath and cup the main artery.
It will stop when the blood leave the brain

Here's my defense kit for walking around with dogs in the neighborhood. 1 ounce fliptop plastic squeeze bottle full of household ammonia, and a pocketknife . I also have my 9 mm shield. I have little doubt the ammonia alone would be sufficient to deter any animals especially if they get a burst on their snout or in their eyes which, of course, would be my primary target.

View attachment 314984
As long as it doesn't hurt your dog also

You obviously know NOTHING about dogs, and especially about large dogs. BUT...I have documented deaths of children caused by Pomeranians, Chihuahuas, Cocker Spaniels, Golden Retrievers, Poodles, St Bernard's and about a dozen other breeds, along with usual suspects: Pit Bulls, German Shepherds, Rottweilers, Chows, Akitas, and Dobermans. Its hilarious how many dogs are "pits bulls" not because of their breed, but because of their actions. If they attack someone or someone's pet, they MUST be a pit bull. I've challenged people to pick the pit bull out of a group of 25 dogs and the vast majority of the time, only a few people per hundred get it right. Are pits dangerous, yes, just like any other animal of its size. Are they ugly, hardly. It's obvious that you have an agenda. I don't trust ANY dog, at any time. I've watched a completely benign guide dog with years of service suddenly attack a police officer for no apparent reason. Fortunately the officer was well experienced with large dogs and neither was injured seriously, but they are animals, who do what they do for reasons that are not self explanatory!
Maybe he doesn't know anything about dogs,who knows but himself
But I know from watching 1000s of dogs over the years at dog parks. And stopping many fights. And pierce county is full of stupid 'pit owners' (notice stupid owners? No agenda) who make their dogs aggressive.
Or should I say let them keep aggressive.
I've watched older pits and I've watched younger pits and they mostly react the same when challenged. Of course the younger ones don't react as well and may get their a$$kicked. But the initial reaction is the same.
The dog was bred to be an aggressive dog.
Period. Fact you can look up.
Stafordshire terriers are one off dogs from pits. They are both developed with the same dogs save 1 or 2, out of about 7 total. ( just shiztz I read in dog breed books)
Both were bred to be aggressive breeds
Then you get some dumb a$$ who knows nothing about dogs and needs a pinile extension so he buys a pit
And yes I can pick the pits and the pit mixes,not very hard to do

I just have to say, opinions are like . . .. Until you have a determined dog attached to one of your, or someone else's body part, you have no idea what you would do.

Being that I ended the life of an adult male Rottweiler with my bare hands, I do know something about the idiotic things you might do when the SHTF. Yet I am lucky to say I have absolutely no idea what I would do if I were in uniform and was facing armed opponents in a foreign land.

My opinion? Don't let them get that close. Not sure if there is a real difference between an attacking dog looking to draw blood and an advancing armed person coming for you or yours.

Just got to add, just about anything you carry to spray dump, often works the opposite. Even dousing our own dogs with bad chemicals. If you have nothing, you try anything. But like we say, daily carry is supposed to be about our safety.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top