JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Don't kick a dog. It will hurt your knees. :D
Just use pepper spray. It works great.
1. Pepper spray could cause an already-agitated dog that is fighting with my dog to become even MORE aggressive.
2. Pepper spray could get into my dog's eyes.
3. Pepper spray could get into MY eyes.
4. My "continuum of force" regarding stray/off-leash dogs is as follows: #1-kind words and petting. #2- a biscuit and petting. #3-stern words. #4- my size 12 boot to its rib cage, and as a last resort, #5 a .38+P JHP to its head.

Under Oregon law a dog is considered livestock and you are allowed to use a gun to protect your livestock from harm. I'm amazed the legal "experts" in the article missed those points.

In any event the shooter did everything he possibly could before resorting to shooting the attacking dog. The owner of that dog should be cited and fined.

1. Pepper spray could cause an already-agitated dog that is fighting with my dog to become even MORE aggressive.
2. Pepper spray could get into my dog's eyes.
3. Pepper spray could get into MY eyes.
4. My "continuum of force" regarding stray/off-leash dogs is as follows: #1-kind words and petting. #2- a biscuit and petting. #3-stern words. #4- my size 12 boot to its rib cage, and as a last resort, #5 a .38+P JHP to its head.

I have pepper sprayed over a dozen dogs. It works great.
I have kicked several and hurt my knee on a Large pit bull.
I once broke a walking stick over a pit bulls head. That was ugly.
And finally I have shot one between the eyes.

I felt best, and got good results from the pepper spray. Have you ever tried it?

I felt best, and got good results from the pepper spray. Have you ever tried it?
No. I dont own any pepper spray. I have a carry permit. I have always had a fear of the wind blowing spray into my eyes so I dont use it.

Hey, @Medic! All that spraying, kicking, hitting, and shooting dogs... umm, did you run for Dog Catcher and actually win?
Not gonna forward this one to the PETA people, but if I ever come visit your house my pooch stays home, ok?

Over 20 years walking my Dogs every day. I have had many encounters.
Never a problem with dogs on leash. Mostly loose dogs with no owner around.

Kicking was something I did before the walking stick. It has no affect on a large powerful dog.
Pepper spray came in after the stick finally broke one day. And really dose work the best.

The dog I shot was doing a pretty good job of chewing my leg off. I let the first bite go.
He came back for more. :rolleyes:

I have been through almost the exact same thing this guy went through. Thankfully the Sheriff deputies that responded were professional and handled the situation as they should. My Dog and I were attacked by a pit bull off leash that went directly at my dog that was on leash. After several attempts to separate them, and the owner who was also aggressively encouraging his dog, instead of trying to get control, I drew and shot his dog! Lucky I had several witnesses who saw the whole thing go down. I had to go the the E.R. for several bites to my legs and my dog required surgery on his front legs and shoulders. The owner was sited and I had to go through a bit of a legal struggle, and yes, My Gun was taken as evidence! After a lengthy investigation, I was cleared of all wrong and my firearm was returned to me ( 4 Months later) I also filed suit against the dog's owner for damages and medical expenses! The Pit owner was arrested and charged with assault and keeping a dangerous animal, failure to leash his dog, and failure to control his dog! He is now banned from ever owning any pets, is on probation, and had to do several months community service. My dog and I barely had our medical expenses covered, but in the end, that is enough!

I have been through almost the exact same thing this guy went through. Thankfully the Sheriff deputies that responded were professional and handled the situation as they should. My Dog and I were attacked by a pit bull off leash that went directly at my dog that was on leash. After several attempts to separate them, and the owner who was also aggressively encouraging his dog, instead of trying to get control, I drew and shot his dog! Lucky I had several witnesses who saw the whole thing go down. I had to go the the E.R. for several bites to my legs and my dog required surgery on his front legs and shoulders. The owner was sited and I had to go through a bit of a legal struggle, and yes, My Gun was taken as evidence! After a lengthy investigation, I was cleared of all wrong and my firearm was returned to me ( 4 Months later) I also filed suit against the dog's owner for damages and medical expenses! The Pit owner was arrested and charged with assault and keeping a dangerous animal, failure to leash his dog, and failure to control his dog! He is now banned from ever owning any pets, is on probation, and had to do several months community service. My dog and I barely had our medical expenses covered, but in the end, that is enough!
Sorry you went through that, and sorry they kept your gun for 4 months. Seems like the bites on your legs plus the fact that your dog was on a leash should have made it an open-and-shut case.

I have to admit some prejudice on my part. When I watched the KATU news video and saw the coffee shop owner, my mind immediately said "liberal PDX anti-gun coffee-shop hipster" based on his appearance alone. I was pleasantly surprised to hear him supporting the actions of the gun owner. Lesson learned!

I would have thought it would have been open and shut! But because it was in the city limits, and because I shot, and the owner had other "things" in his history, the Deputies originally cited him, but the D.A. pressed the issue ( on my behalf) because of the bites we both suffered, and issued a warrant for his arrest. Keeping my gun was because it would be needed if any thing went to trial! It was returned to me the same day the case was closed!

A speargun works really well, too. Unfortunately I know this from past experience. ( my family moved to the NW when I was 9, before that we lived overseas in a town where I would have to routinely run for my life from packs of feral dogs - that probably explains why I'm more of a cat person!)

A couple years ago while I was walking my dog a neighbor's dog (off leash) came running up--My dog was on a retractable leash, I quickly pulled out a couple lengths of extra lead from my dogs retractable leash & locked the leash in place, I waited for the attacking dog to get in the right place and swung my improvised club & I connected with that dog's head! He went down immediately and I was so glad that my brain came up with a fast defense, because I had not planned it out in advance

I'm sorry. If your dog approaches me aggressively, (hackles, snarling, aggression) wanting to cause obvious harm to me or mine, it will bleed out in it's attempt. Being aggressive is not in a domesticated animal by nature, it is brought on by the owner. A dog (or any animal) of this type, is considered assault with a deadly weapon

Years ago my wife was walking our female Bichon on leash in our neighborhood when a Rottweiler came running out of a yard and went straight for our poochie. It had our little fluffball by the head and neck pushed down to the pavement, causing much squealing. Fortunately the children of the Rotties owner were able to get it back under control but unfortunately my wife was not carrying her .357 (not that she would have shot immediately) nor her pepper spray. We had a serious talk after.

Apparently this dog had been terrorizing the entire surrounding neighbors for years but nobody had ever filed a complaint. We did. In court the one of the owners said her Rottweiler was "just playing". This must be a common response from owners of large aggressive animals. They were not fined because they were friends of the Justice Court judge but their dog was registered as aggressive.

About a year later, my wife was walking our dog (on leash) on the main street near our neighborhood when the same dog came running out of the husbands building lot nearby and began seriously menacing my wife. The incident looked so bad that traffic on the street stopped and people offered to help. I asked my wife why she didn't use her pepper spray and she said she was too busy trying to pick up our Bichon. We filed another complaint. This time we had witnesses. The dog was labled an advanced level of aggressive and if another complaint was made it would have been destroyed. This was a dog that normally played with kids and a small dog but became territorial when allowed to run loose. Why are people so stupid?

In our neighborhood way too many people allow their dogs to run loose. The attitude seems to be that all of Eastern Oregon is farm country no matter how dense the housing. P*sses me off!

Good ideas IF you have and carry a cattle prod or normally have a knife with you. I don't, but now that you mention it I may start carrying a knife with me when I walk my 2 (small and medium size) dogs. Otherwise I ALWAYS have my CCW with me.
A heavy/ strong walking stick that you can swing nice?
Felons use a pad lock on a bandana. How 'bout on the end of your leash?
Heck a heavy electrician's zip tie. Send it home with that around its neck:eek:

Years ago my wife was walking our female Bichon on leash in our neighborhood when a Rottweiler came running out of a yard and went straight for our poochie. It had our little fluffball by the head and neck pushed down to the pavement, causing much squealing. Fortunately the children of the Rotties owner were able to get it back under control but unfortunately my wife was not carrying her .357 (not that she would have shot immediately) nor her pepper spray. We had a serious talk after.

Apparently this dog had been terrorizing the entire surrounding neighbors for years but nobody had ever filed a complaint. We did. In court the one of the owners said her Rottweiler was "just playing". This must be a common response from owners of large aggressive animals. They were not fined because they were friends of the Justice Court judge but their dog was registered as aggressive.

About a year later, my wife was walking our dog (on leash) on the main street near our neighborhood when the same dog came running out of the husbands building lot nearby and began seriously menacing my wife. The incident looked so bad that traffic on the street stopped and people offered to help. I asked my wife why she didn't use her pepper spray and she said she was too busy trying to pick up our Bichon. We filed another complaint. This time we had witnesses. The dog was labled an advanced level of aggressive and if another complaint was made it would have been destroyed. This was a dog that normally played with kids and a small dog but became territorial when allowed to run loose. Why are people so stupid?

In our neighborhood way too many people allow their dogs to run loose. The attitude seems to be that all of Eastern Oregon is farm country no matter how dense the housing. P*sses me off!
I encourage folks with small dogs to put harnesses on them,they pick up easier

Fred takes care of things his way:D

IMG_1742_zpsajploocg.jpg

I usually carry a knife on our neighborhood walks with my daughter. We don't take our dog for walks because she doesn't behave. She leash aggressive towards others. Thats what a responsible owner does. If you know your dog has issues, don't bring them out around others.

If a dog came out or became aggressive to my kids it's getting put down real fast.

But I would go to a knife before my gun. Shooting at a wild attacking dog is not easy to do. i would give up an arm to bite get it on the ground and cut its throat. You'll end up with some bites, but it's better than shooting wildly and hitting something I don't want to (my kids)

An aggressively approaching dog doesn't get a 2nd chance around my kids.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top