JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Maybe he doesn't know anything about dogs,who knows but himself
But I know from watching 1000s of dogs over the years at dog parks. And stopping many fights. And pierce county is full of stupid 'pit owners' (notice stupid owners? No agenda) who make their dogs aggressive.
Or should I say let them keep aggressive.
I've watched older pits and I've watched younger pits and they mostly react the same when challenged. Of course the younger ones don't react as well and may get their a$$kicked. But the initial reaction is the same.
The dog was bred to be an aggressive dog.
Period. Fact you can look up.
Stafordshire terriers are one off dogs from pits. They are both developed with the same dogs save 1 or 2, out of about 7 total. ( just shiztz I read in dog breed books)
Both were bred to be aggressive breeds
Then you get some dumb a$$ who knows nothing about dogs and needs a pinile extension so he buys a pit
And yes I can pick the pits and the pit mixes,not very hard to do

Interesting that you say they were bred to be aggressive. They were known as "nanny dogs" from the 19th century through the 50's. My mother grew up with one on the farm in Iowa. Stubborn, but not aggressive. It was a Pit on all the WWI and WWII ads, it was a pit in "Our Gang", doesn't sound like they were recognized as aggressive until recently. Can they be? Yes, but that is mostly owners not doing their job. Big dogs are big dogs, and as I have said earlier, they do what they do for their own reasons. We went through this with German Shepherds, Rottweilers, and Dobies in the 60s and 70s. Now its pit bulls. Its not a breed issue, its an owner issue.

Interesting that you say they were bred to be aggressive. They were known as "nanny dogs" from the 19th century through the 50's. My mother grew up with one on the farm in Iowa. Stubborn, but not aggressive. It was a Pit on all the WWI and WWII ads, it was a pit in "Our Gang", doesn't sound like they were recognized as aggressive until recently. Can they be? Yes, but that is mostly owners not doing their job. Big dogs are big dogs, and as I have said earlier, they do what they do for their own reasons. We went through this with German Shepherds, Rottweilers, and Dobies in the 60s and 70s. Now its pit bulls. Its not a breed issue, its an owner issue.
Do you know where the name came from?
Pit? As in pit fighting?
Just sayin'
The folks that had the dogs back when you were talking about obviously knew how to raise them. Most now don't.
Rotts must be made to be aggressive,not the other way around. They are naturally protective but with very little socialization they get along with most everything.
Dobies were designed to climb trees to get thrives instead of just treeing them like the rotts did. They are half rot and hunting dogs so they have that protective gene. But they were raised to be mean in the 70s
Shepards were the same deal
Pits need to be socialized and have a dominate dog kick their but at home so they know fighting is not permitted
Otherwise they seem to always have a thing for dog sized or smaller animals
Yes there is exceptions. Yes there is pics all over of pits with kids and animals
Because they were raised correctly.
Not the norm

Do you know where the name came from?
Pit? As in pit fighting?
Just sayin'
The folks that had the dogs back when you were talking about obviously knew how to raise them. Most now don't.
Rotts must be made to be aggressive,not the other way around. They are naturally protective but with very little socialization they get along with most everything.
Dobies were designed to climb trees to get thrives instead of just treeing them like the rotts did. They are half rot and hunting dogs so they have that protective gene. But they were raised to be mean in the 70s
Shepards were the same deal
Pits need to be socialized and have a dominate dog kick their but at home so they know fighting is not permitted
Otherwise they seem to always have a thing for dog sized or smaller animals
Yes there is exceptions. Yes there is pics all over of pits with kids and animals
Because they were raised correctly.
Not the norm

Once again, owner problem, NOT dog problem. Just like we have a group of teenagers today who don't respect authority because their parents didn't do their job.

Actually Rottweilers, Wolfhounds, Shiba Inu, Akitas, Greyhounds, Whippets, and many others were all bred to be aggressively protective. Pits are not unique in that respect. But I'll certainly agree, appropriate raising of all of them will solve the problem.

You mean like this? IMG_0074.JPG

Last Edited:
This thread has legs.. hard to keep up.
I thought I read of some folk touting sticks. I thought I read that some had poleaxed some big and dedicated canines with their sticks? I forget.
I wouldn't count on it lest said stick was a real war club type stick and you were at least a half a skilled and muscled berserker.. preferably with some well thought out steel additive feature out on the working end there. just saying

Top on my list of things to research is how to quickly incapacitate a dog with a 3.25" blade. (To clarify, when I have the blade, not the dog.)

Pit bulls aren't dissuaded by pain and have been seen to stay in the fight even after taking multiple handgun caliber-size shots. I'm working on a strategy of quickly rendering it unconscious by cutting a major artery, or immobile, by severing a tendon.
Dood, if you're going to go that way, think of them as crocodilian. Code for you don't f around with tendons or major arteries.. especially in cuddle mode with a 3" sticker.
dood
I would imagine though that were it to go for your gonads, you'd find a way so I'd not really worry about it.

We went through this with German Shepherds, Rottweilers, and Dobies in the 60s and 70s. Now its pit bulls. Its not a breed issue, its an owner issue.

No truer words my friend. My family has been raising champion class Rottweilers for about 45 years. At one time, we were the focus. One of my sister's dog is titled in both U.S. & Canada in herding. They herd docks, geese, pretty much anything most would assume they'd kill and eat. Owner, not dog.

No truer words my friend. My family has been raising champion class Rottweilers for about 45 years. At one time, we were the focus. One of my sister's dog is titled in both U.S. & Canada in herding. They herd docks, geese, pretty much anything most would assume they'd kill and eat. Owner, not dog.
This particular Rottweiler lives on my UPS route and and she decided a couple of years ago that we were going to be Best Friends Forever. It may have had something to do with the dog biscuits I keep in the truck. In any case, I value our friendship VERY highly!

image.jpeg

I can't personally say if rottweilers are more aggressive or not, but I recall years ago looking outside my home and seeing my dog with his neck being held in a rottweiler's mouth--I never saw any other dog holding my entire dog's neck in it's mouth.

I was in a client's home once and when I looked up, a big rotty was running full tilt right for the sliding glass door--I knew this dog was gonna bust right through and have me for lunch, and as I was digging around in my pocket for my little naa 22 revolver, BAM the dog hit the glass and bounced off--The owner told me to "pay him no mind, he always does that" since them I have switched up to a gun large enough, that it can be readily found in my pocket.

I spent nearly 8 years with with my back fence being 'patrolled' by two rotts my neighbor owned. These things were the spawn of h e l l and would have attacked me if they ever got over the fence. They're barking would go from aggressive to almost a horrific scream when I would be on the back of my property. They probably went about 145 + lbs on the hoof each and I told the owner if they ever breached my fence I would not hesitate to blow them away. I actually kept a cheap Mossberg 500 loaded at my kitchen door if necessary. Neighbors on the other side of his property had similar issues with them and one family was actually backed up to their garage door by them once. I was glad when one finally died and the other not far behind.

Last Edited:
It is worth noting that this particular Rottweiler is best friends with a Pit Bull. Both dogs are actually quite friendly and I have no concerns whatsoever about delivering to the home they live at. I am a firm believer in the theory that how a dog is raised has everything to do with whether or not it is aggressive and its breed has little or nothing to do with it. I say that as a 30 year UPS driver who has thousands of dog encounters per year and has never once been bitten.

image.jpeg

Last Edited:
Okay first rule with Rottweilers, never try to tell one they are not a lap dog.

Best story, mom, in her older years fell in love with a Border Terrier. If you don't know what they are, look them up. Small but wiry. When this little dog moved into the house, the two Rottweiler (Both heads of house) decided they didn't like the intruder. They got into it. The terrier grabbed a jowl and didn't let go while being shaken, until the Rott apologized and promised repeatedly to leave him alone in the future. Never had a problem again.

Or the time we were at my sisters and let our Rott out in the backyard. When she came back in, something wasn't right. It looked like she was trying to hide something. Mom told the dog to give "it" to her outstretched hand. Out plops a very wet days old kitten. No harm, just brought it in to protect it. She was a mom, through and through.

It is worth nothing that this particular Rottweiler is best friends with a Pit Bull. Both dogs are actually quite friendly and I have no concerns whatsoever about delivering to the home they live at. I am a firm believer in the theory that how a dog is raised has everything to do with whether or not it is aggressive and its breed has little or nothing to do with it. I say that as a 30 year UPS driver who has thousands of dog encounters per year and has never once been bitten.

View attachment 315036
And of course you might as well write about it. There's no law against being a female dog, last I heard. pray continue

Okay first rule with Rottweilers, never try to tell one they are not a lap dog.

Best story, mom, in her older years fell in love with a Border Terrier. If you don't know what they are, look them up. Small but wiry. When this little dog moved into the house, the two Rottweiler (Both heads of house) decided they didn't like the intruder. They got into it. The terrier grabbed a jowl and didn't let go while being shaken, until the Rott apologized and promised repeatedly to leave him alone in the future. Never had a problem again.

Or the time we were at my sisters and let our Rott out in the backyard. When she came back in, something wasn't right. It looked like she was trying to hide something. Mom told the dog to give "it" to her outstretched hand. Out plops a very wet days old kitten. No harm, just brought it in to protect it. She was a mom, through and through.

This is so funny because my parents had a "party poodle" that was half miniature poodle, half cocker spaniel. However, he THOUGHT he was a rottweiler, and would happily take on anything that would party with him. He weighed about 15 pounds soaking wet. The neighbors had a german shepherd/huskie mix that went about 120. That little dog ruled that big dog like a king over the serfs. It made no sense, until we found them fighting through the fence, with the party poodle attached to the end of the big dogs nose. The big dog couldn't pull the little dog through the fence gaps, and the little dog wasn't letting go. Anytime they were around each other with no fence, the big dog stayed behind his owner!

Once again, owner problem, NOT dog problem. Just like we have a group of teenagers today who don't respect authority because their parents didn't do their job.

Actually Rottweilers, Wolfhounds, Shiba Inu, Akitas, Greyhounds, Whippets, and many others were all bred to be aggressively protective. Pits are not unique in that respect. But I'll certainly agree, appropriate raising of all of them will solve the problem.

You mean like this? View attachment 315013
We have had 3 Akitas in our extended family, all raised with kids around. ALL of them, repeat ALL of them at some point attacked a kid who was a family member (different kids in different families) for no apparent reason, and all of them were "retired". As a breeder of hunting hounds I can tell you that genetics DO make a difference in behavior. Some houndsmen will breed an "alligator" dog because they think that aggressive temperament denotes fearlessness. But for most if us, "alligators" (aggressive towards other hounds and people) usually go for a one way walk in the woods. Owning an "alligator" hound is a fast way to lose friends and go broke paying for damages.

My dogs are members of the family.

Dress accordingly, stack 'em like cordwood, be home in time for game of thrones, if you pick up what I'm putting down.

We have had 3 Akitas in our extended family, all raised with kids around. ALL of them, repeat ALL of them at some point attacked a kid who was a family member (different kids in different families) for no apparent reason, and all of them were "retired". As a breeder of hunting hounds I can tell you that genetics DO make a difference in behavior. Some houndsmen will breed an "alligator" dog because they think that aggressive temperament denotes fearlessness. But for most if us, "alligators" (aggressive towards other hounds and people) usually go for a one way walk in the woods. Owning an "alligator" hound is a fast way to lose friends and go broke paying for damages.

And yet, no calls to ban Akitas?

Animals do things for animal reasons, and constant vigilance must be in place to obtain appropriate reactions.

Animals do things for animal reasons, and constant vigilance must be in place to obtain appropriate reactions.
And who bears the responsibility of the 'constant vigilance' you speak of? If the owner does not then they need to be prepared for the outcome which might be a dead dog deposited on their property.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top