JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I usually carry a knife on our neighborhood walks with my daughter. We don't take our dog for walks because she doesn't behave. She leash aggressive towards others. Thats what a responsible owner does. If you know your dog has issues, don't bring them out around others.

If a dog came out or became aggressive to my kids it's getting put down real fast.

But I would go to a knife before my gun. Shooting at a wild attacking dog is not easy to do. i would give up an arm to bite get it on the ground and cut its throat. You'll end up with some bites, but it's better than shooting wildly and hitting something I don't want to (my kids)

An aggressively approaching dog doesn't get a 2nd chance around my kids.

I will defend myself and my dog with a level of force that is proportionate to the amount of damage that the attacking dog can inflict. So a yippy little ankle biter will get a gentle kick at most, to keep it away. But if its a pitbull/Rottweiler/Doberman/German Shepherd...I am not going to give it the opportunity to maul me. I do manual labor for a living and I cant work if the muscles and tendons in my arm have been torn to shreds. Sorry, thats one of the main reasons I carry a .38 snubby when I walk my dog.

The questions one should ask on whether or not it's appropriate to draw and fire your weapon are always the same regardless of the situation...Is there an imminent threat of death or grave bodily harm to either you or someone else? Further, if I'm hauled into court over this, would a jury of 12 reasonable people find me innocent?

Threats to property are another matter. And keep in mind that dogs are largely viewed as property in the eyes of the law. But with rare exception (Texas, I believe.), using deadly force to defend property isn't going to be legal and is, most certainly, risky. I certainly wouldn't want to have to go in front of a jury and explain why I killed someone who was trying to take my lawn mower. Even if that is technically legal in the odd state, it's going to be pretty hard to find a sympathetic jury if you end up in court.

As for dogs specifically, if the dog is attacking a person that can be easily justified...unless it's toy poodle or something. But shooting a dog that is going after another dog, could be problematic. I would not want to take my chances in court on that one. But think carefully...are you sure the dog was attacking the other dog? You don't think maybe that the vicious dog was coming after you and your beloved canine intervened to try and defend you but wasn't doing so well so you shot the bad dog because he was coming for you and you were afraid for your life? ;)

BTW...it's not a bad idea to have pepper spray on you if you know you're going to be around a lot of dogs...like at the dog park or something. That at least gives you a non lethal option to try if needed.

"Deadly force" applies to humans only. Shooting a dog is not an application of deadly force. IF you are sent to court for discharging your firearm it will be a misdemeanor charge for discharging your firearm in city limits or some other trivial charge. Its not a jury trial sort of thing.

If I am walking my dog and an unattended dog attacks my dog I will shoot it if it is a clear shot. They can ticket me if they like.

I live on a gravel road in the hills. I have pot growers, 1 percent bikers and militia types as neighbors. Also cougars, coyotes bear and a wolf. My pup is the fearsome creature,shown. My edc when walking is my gp100 or my sbh. My pot growers neighbors aggressive dog got out and charged us. I drew but did not fire, as the owner came running up to corral his dog. Since then and there has been 3 in incidents with other neighbors, but thankfully, no injuries. Animal control has paid them a visit to put them on notice. Neighbors are carrying walking sticks and one has an air horn. I will stick to firearms. So much for retirement paradise.

Under Oregon law a dog is considered livestock and you are allowed to use a gun to protect your livestock from harm. I'm amazed the legal "experts" in the article missed those points.

The whole time this has been going on, I could have sworn that Portland had something against using a firearm for protection of livestock. Search as I may, I could not find it again.

I have to admit some prejudice on my part. When I watched the KATU news video and saw the coffee shop owner, my mind immediately said "liberal PDX anti-gun coffee-shop hipster" based on his appearance alone. I was pleasantly surprised to hear him supporting the actions of the gun owner. Lesson learned!
Most folks are just regular people until some politician gets them riled up.

We take our 2 German Shepard's over to the neighbors.( They have 5 dog's )
Neighbors dog tries to establish dominance. = short Fight. 2-3 second's.
One of them backs down and the fight is over.
The neighbors dog is a jerk and so is our Male Shepherd.
Either we leave the dog's at home or we have to deal with this every damn time.

I have seen this behavior in dog's since I was a kid in Alaska.
Everyone in the neighborhood would leave for work and put the dog's out.
NO ONE HAD A FENCE, NO ONE.

All the dog's would pack up 8-12 dog's from our street.
There was always a leader.
If another dog challenged, It was game on.

Some dog's haven't been around enough other dog's to get posturing and think that all dog's are challenger's and have to fight to prove dominance.

Crappy owners = Crappy dog's.

My pitbull would have protected me at all costs. Just like any other situation, I try to avoid using my gun at all times. Personally, I feel confident in my own self defense abilities but I know the average person out there walking their dog may not be as capable. If it was me and it came to the boiling point where I felt endangered, I would have turned as green as I could hoping that would scare the other dogs away. If that doesn't work then my pitbull and I would put up a fight as necessary. If all else fails, then shoot......(pun intended)
You won't like this. But according to statistics, there are four dogs that cause death and physical damage per year and pitbugs. That makes five animals. Out of those five, the pitbug is responsible for 86% of all death and injuries of people and dogs. No matter how you feel about pitbulls, do us all a favor and put a muzzle on him when walking. If you don't that means you really don't care about anyone else.
Sifu

You won't like this. But according to statistics, there are four dogs that cause death and physical damage per year and pitbugs. That makes five animals. Out of those five, the pitbug is responsible for 86% of all death and injuries of people and dogs. No matter how you feel about pitbulls, do us all a favor and put a muzzle on him when walking. If you don't that means you really don't care about anyone else.
Sifu
Correction: that 86 should have been 65%. That's a little better.

They actually ban pit bulls from the city limits of Yakima. My insurance tells me that they will drop my coverage if I get a Chow Chow.
They have banned Pitbulls in several states, Utah being one of them. As far as Pit bulls are concerned, it's in their genetics. Some people think that their misunderstood, they're not. Yeah a Chow Chow is pushing it. You should do some checking, because a Chow is a small and friendly dog. Dog to someone else in insurance, because somebody is confused. Take or send a pic of the dog and how much it weighs. Good luck. Weird.

They have banned Pitbulls in several states, Utah being one of them. As far as Pit bulls are concerned, it's in their genetics. Some people think that their misunderstood, they're not. Yeah a Chow Chow is pushing it. You should do some checking, because a Chow is a small and friendly dog. Dog to someone else in insurance, because somebody is confused. Take or send a pic of the dog and how much it weighs. Good luck. Weird.

Having seen a chow chew a kids face off I'm going to disagree. Meanest dog Ive ever seen.

Personally I would pick the dog up and break it over something or cut its throat before I'd pull a weapon.
That sounds really badass...but I SERIOUSLY doubt many human beings could pick up any dog, let alone a pit bull, raging in fight mode and do what you say you would do. I'd love to be there when / if you ever try though.

Certain training in certain services for various reasons teach how to kill a dog without a weapon. A few things to remember,

1. You will get bit.
2. You have an irrational fear of dogs on a p primal level.
3. Dogs have no hands and can only hold you with their mouths
4. A dogs bones are no thicker than your fore finger, many are much less.

Once you understand and come to terms with the above you will be able, if all else fails, to deal with a dog one on one. If their are more than one of them utilize your track and field skills, run.

I am a 30 year UPS driver who encounters dogs thousands of times per year and I am far more concerned with German Shepherds and Chows than I am with pit bulls. Yes, pit bulls can bite harder but their body language is also far easier for me to read. I have yet to ever have an issue with a pit bull, but I have had numerous close calls with German Sheperds and Chows.

When you buy into the hysteria surrounding pit bulls, it is no different than liberals buying into the hysteria around so-called "assault weapons." Pit bulls are like the AR-15's of the dog world; no more dangerous than any other type of dog (or gun) in the hands of a responsible owner.

When you buy into the hysteria surrounding pit bulls, it is no different than liberals buying into the hysteria around so-called "assault weapons." Pit bulls are like the AR-15's of the dog world; no more dangerous than any other type of dog (or gun) in the hands of a responsible owner.

I watch a lot of court TV, your response is typical of the owner of a pit bull, that has just bitten another person or animal. Funny how many folks feel that way, until the law suit begins

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top