JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just got back from helping a friend introduce her new puppy to gunfire.

She 'rescued' a 4 month old Goldendoodle from a poor living situation and wants to get him used to the outdoors and gunfire.

Anyway we took him out for a little hike this morning and then I started by popping off a few rounds of mild .30-30. First couple he jumped a bit and barked at a few but then calmed down. I then transitioned to .45 ACP and he was fine. He stayed close to 'mom' but didn't run off scared so we think he will be OK.

I took mine for walks near a gun range. Different types of shots, random timings, etc. Mine were trained to not ignore the shots but not be afraid of them. No different than horns or other loud noises (fight or flight response).

I ramp up gradually. I start with a pellet/bb gun and throw retrieving dummy at the same time. I then work up to a 22lr rifle with standard vel ammo (subsonic) and then shotgun, throwing dummy each time and making it fun for the dog. I have never had one exhibit any gun shy behavior using this method. Just the opposite results, when gunfire is heard or a gun comes out of the safe they get all giddy ready for work.

And your favorite 22 revolver.

Some how, one of mine is still afraid of fireworks. Just the big ones though. Doesn't flinch for gunfire.

As noted above, random loud noises in the house (dropping a can, banging a pan) at odd times gets a dog used to random loud stuff. Also, when using a training pistol make sure the dog is doing something fun, such as chasing a ball at the same time.

Finally, a little training at a time is WAY better than a long session.

I used 22 blanks for my dog as a pup and gave her treats while firing them off a few times a week. Next thing you know she started getting very excited whenever i handled guns in the house. Transitioned that to playing fetch while at the range with some occasional treats. 6 years later she still follows me all over the house whenever i have a rifle in hand lol

Does the gunfire not dage the dogs hearing like it does ours?

I have wanted to do this with our dog, but worry about hearing damage for him.

My pup was raised around gun fire from 8 weeks old. She loved hunting. One day she got too close to an ar15 and the concussion messed up her head. I felt horrible and still do. She can now not go higher than 2000 foot elevation or be around thunder. I broke my own dog. She is my best buddy and I broke her. I now take her on trips locally just to hike because she loves going so much. She still gets excited when she sees a gun then gets sad when I cannot take her with me.

Be careful. You never know when it might mess them up.

Train them to stay behind you.

I have always broken in a puppy within the first few days of coming home, usually we start with a .22 and graduate to a .30/06 or Muzzle loader! For skittish pups, having them on the lead at the heal close to the hand, and letting them know it's all ok reinforces that everything is normal, having high value treats at hand is also very helpful!

I took mine for walks near a gun range. Different types of shots, random timings, etc. Mine were trained to not ignore the shots but not be afraid of them. No different than horns or other loud noises (fight or flight response).
Did the same several times at about 9-10 weeks. Was allowed to briefly bring the dog in to the range lobby (not the range itself). Brought in some small food and water bowls. Dog was nervous, but then saw the food and ate without hesitation.

Continued to do the same for a few years just several weeks before July 4th, back when the neighborhoods were allowed to erupt. Each time the dog would get sensitive for a moment, and then devour the food, then start to ignore the noise.

Does the gunfire not dage the dogs hearing like it does ours?

I have wanted to do this with our dog, but worry about hearing damage for him.
It absolutely does. But they make muffs for dogs. And also eye protection. If your dog is going to be around gunfire or go with you to the range, you should invest in a set of eyes and ears for Mr. Woffington and get them used to wearing them.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA

New Resource Reviews