JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
20181006_105805.jpg 10 am, 3x3. Haven't weighed, but even minus guts, head and hide, he was a struggle to get into the truck.
Edit: after finding space in a cooler in gresham (no space in salem, I dont butcher on the kitchen table anymore... since i like to sleep indoors..) he weighed in at 111 lbs hanging weight (no nuts, guts, head, hide, or horns).

Last Edited:
congrats to the successful ones!
I hunted pretty hard for 5 days in heppner and only saw does and fawns. couple old timers in camp that have been there longer than I have been alive also struck out.
Only saw 3 buck hanging and that was in one camp. I saw many many camps with nothing hanging.
Pretty brutal out there.
IMO the hard winter, cougars, poaching and too many tags for the unit are to blame.

puttin in for silvies unit next year. ukiahs been great for 20 years but, predation and overgrowth(its a 22 YO burn area now) has definately impacted our hunts...big time. a buddy i was with saw 3 cougar kittens with spots(cant shoot'm legally when they have spots). statistically, thats atleast 150 or more less deer going to be there next season.

S....
Sh....
Sh.. U.

Our elk camp went back to Ukiah last year after Mt. Emily petered out (due to wolf packs). The hunt was successful for a change, but boy the area has overgrown... reprod areas are really up. We hunt up above Pilot Rock, between there and Lehman Hot Springs. Btw, Lehman closed a few years back... we really miss takin a break in all that hot water!!!

Just admiring the rifle... what is it???

S....
Sh....
Sh.. U.

Our elk camp went back to Ukiah last year after Mt. Emily petered out (due to wolf packs). The hunt was successful for a change, but boy the area has overgrown... reprod areas are really up. We hunt up above Pilot Rock, between there and Lehman Hot Springs. Btw, Lehman closed a few years back... we really miss takin a break in all that hot water!!!

we usually hunt up NF52 from ukiah to the tower mountain road.

we hunted the entire 54 series of roads after 5 days of seeing nothing up the 52 and 55!!

0-7 this year. 1-7 last year. 5-6 year before. 2-7 year before that.

the deer are there but so are wolves and cougars. and its way overgrown everywhere now.

we used to tag out opening day or by monday up until the last 5 years.

we usually hunt up NF52 from ukiah to the tower mountain road.

we hunted the entire 54 series of roads after 5 days of seeing nothing up the 52 and 55!!

0-7 this year. 1-7 last year. 5-6 year before. 2-7 year before that.

the deer are there but so are wolves and cougars. and its way overgrown everywhere now.

we used to tag out opening day or by monday up until the last 5 years.

Yes, 54 road above Bear Wallow near Granite Meadows. We camp near Pearson Creek. My buds have been there for 20yrs or more with a slight stop for a few years at Mt. Emily. We had always gotten elk there until they stopped hunting cougar with dogs. Then we started seeing cougars but no elk. I'm not pleased to hear the wolves are around.

Any more I just go for the camping with my buds because I can't really walk the woods. I don't buy a tag anymore either because it's so expensive.

Probably won't go this year because the wife is still laid up with a badly broken ankle and I really don't want to leave until she can do for herself and can drive. We have friends that would help but I worry about her falling at home and not being able to reach her cellphone.

Sorry you weren't successful, sounds like you tried hard!!!

BTW I think I remember the Tower Mountain fire... big azz fire. We were going camping at Four Corners and got locked out because the Forest Circus had taken over the campground. We wound up parking near Granite and had a pretty good time exploring places we hadn't seen in awhile. My BIL does a lot of mining in that country, lot's of things to look at. Took a trip to Olive Lake but the fishing wasn't very good.

S....
Sh....
Sh.. U.

Marlin 336, champion stock, barrel cut to 19 inches. Will be going to JES this winter to rebore to .35/30-30

BTW I think I remember the Tower Mountain fire... big azz fire. We were going camping at Four Corners and got locked out because the Forest Circus had taken over the campground. We wound up parking near Granite and had a pretty good time exploring places we hadn't seen in awhile. My BIL does a lot of mining in that country, lot's of things to look at. Took a trip to Olive Lake but the fishing wasn't very good.
i know of a really nice huge meadow near the town of granite in desolation unit thats filled with elk. im sure if you google earth the area you'll know where im talking about.

i have buddies origionally from lagrande. probably know'm or their family. they remember the tower fire for sure.

S....
Sh....
Sh.. U.

Family friend shot this 3 years ago on mt. Emily. Took 18 years to pull that tag. Now your saying wolves have taken down that unit?

3D874B53-DB61-4F03-B74D-33A332DB00A4.jpeg

I understand. I had to haul this one:
View attachment 507161
Out of here:
View attachment 507162
...a couple years ago. The last 30 feet was vertical cliff face. Had to winch him out.
Years ago my good buddies dad had a good setup. They had a trailer with 1,000 feet of cable with a witch. They were lazy and smart. Mostly lazy. Shoot the animal, then give the end of the cable to a kid and tell them to head down the hill towards the animal. Strap it up and ride it like a bull up the hill. Every so often the elk or deer would get hung up on a dead fall or whatever. You'd have to look out and jump off or your gonna be riding a rocket any second. The good old days! When you could even buy cable for a decent price.

My new Tikka 6.5 X 55 came through for me in the Wallowa's. I'll take small, especially since I thought my hunting day were over. I would have come home happy without him Just being in the woods for a week, but am thankful I connected. (four days after opening season) Little forked horns sure are hard to see hidden in them great big ears.
st1.jpg :)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads