JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Family friend shot this 3 years ago on mt. Emily. Took 18 years to pull that tag. Now your saying wolves have taken down that unit?

View attachment 507368

We hunted spike tags up n down the Five Points Creek drainage. The last two years were bust, saw no elk at all, none. 4 yrs ago we took 8 elk. 3 yrs ago we took 3. Then none. I guess it was bad luck somebody killed the big mountain goat that used to visit the radio tower shacks (turned around one day to see big shaggy standing in the doorway). I did hear that someone got a bull this year but I don't remember what or where. Mt. Emily has west and east tags, or used to. There may still be some bulls around Ruckle or towards Tollgate, down in Fiddler's Hell near Black Mtn, or over in the RR track canyon. The last two are hard hikes and not for people like me even when I could still get out.

There were 3 different wolf packs that worked their way thru Mt. Emily. One went to Heppner and on over towards the coast. One went to Strawberry Mtn near John Day. The other pack is still around.

That's an awesome bull!!!!

Edit: (This guy killed a nice bull in Mt. Emily unit in 2016. Doesn't say where in the unit. But otherwise it's an enjoyable writeup... ) Mt. Emily Elk Hunt - 2016 - North American Hunting Competition

Last Edited:
My new Tikka 6.5 X 55 came through for me in the Wallowa's. I'll take small, especially since I thought my hunting day were over. I would have come home happy without him Just being in the woods for a week, but am thankful I connected. (four days after opening season) Little forked horns sure are hard to see hidden in them great big ears.
View attachment 507371 :)

Congrats! Glad you can still get out there!!!

Looks like a whitetail? I see they have a special hunt in the Wallowa Valley this year for whitetails, shotgun only. Must be a nuisance hunt. Shoot, I remember when there weren't any whitetail around.

We hunted spike tags up n down the Five Points Creek drainage. The last two years were bust, saw no elk at all, none. 4 yrs ago we took 8 elk. 3 yrs ago we took 3. Then none. I guess it was bad luck somebody killed the big mountain goat that used to visit the radio tower shacks (turned around one day to see big shaggy standing in the doorway). I did hear that someone got a bull this year but I don't remember what or where. Mt. Emily has west and east tags, or used to. There may still be some bulls around Ruckle or towards Tollgate, down in Fiddler's Hell near Black Mtn, or over in the RR track canyon. The last two are hard hikes and not for people like me even when I could still get out.

There were 3 different wolf packs that worked their way thru Mt. Emily. One went to Heppner and on over towards the coast. One went to Strawberry Mtn near John Day. The other pack is still around.

That's an awesome bull!!!!
I'm gonna do my best to kill a wolf this season. Over here, the fish and game has the very best of the best in AR setup, optics, night vision, etc, to reduce the wolf pop all year long. In Oregon? Sorry to say, but your all screwed. That ain't Idaho.

Seems like Oregon hunters have some additional opportunities in 2019 if you weren't able to fill your tag... :)
Capture.JPG

3.5 mile pack out...new pack frame is being ordered I'm not playing GI surplus anymore.

If you take the guts out they're easier to carry :p

Got back Fri from a week in the hi Cascades, been hunting the Rogue Umpqua Divide Wilderness since before it was wilderness (42 years or so). I used to live in Canyonville when I was in grade school, got my 1st buck which was a 21" 4x4 up on the divide, been hooked ever since. That 1st one is still the biggest I've gotten, I killed another 21" but it had a drop tine that stretched it out a bit.

We were prevented from going in our normal way from fire mop up, all access to the area was denied. We ended up farther up the creek and found another trail system to hunt a little farther north. I ended up with a smaller forky on Mon, Wed one of the young guys got an 18" 3 point off the rimrock ranged @ 305 yds w/a 270. Another got a forky, packing those out took the rest of the day. Thur was the last day push as we were leaving Fri. Put a lot of miles in through the old growth and around the rimrock but came up dry, a monster 4x was spotted by my nephew at a little over 1k yds up on the rimrock but it was too late in the day to make an attempt.

Overall we were 3 for 5 in camp, had an excellent experience as usual. Nothing like hunting wilderness, seems like these days we have it all to ourselves. Saw 1 guy walking his dog 4 miles in, he's a regular, other than that no one but ourselves. One thing we did notice, our usual spot is thick w/huckleberry, getting a bear isn't out of the ordinary, seeing them is almost a sure thing. This year we weren't in the huckleberry, saw no bear and little sign.

BTW- Garmin Rhino's are a great tool for keeping tabs on each others location and movement w/out ever talking, been using them since they 1st came out w/the 110's. We're into the 600 series now. They don't always work through the big ridges but overall we've been pretty happy. Especially useful when trying to converge a group on downed animals.

Tagged out on the antlerless season too, she ended up at 75# hanging. Good year at the Wolfe den, a total of 186# of venison went to the cutters. That oughtta keep us in steak for the year. 28453.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top