JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My conspiracy theory is that the holster manufacturers encourage pistol manufacturers to put front serrations on everything, so that holsters must be replaced more frequently. Like Steve Martin's tirade in Father of the Bride about hot dog companies and bun companies conspiring.

Sorry dude, but I gotta disagree with most of what you posted here.

Gen 5 finishes are excellent. My Gen5 G19 has been in and out of a kydex holster a lot and doesn't show ANY wear, unlike my Gen 3. Tougher frames? Care to cite sources? Gen 3's came with plastic sights too. The night sights are an upgrade. Come on.

Gen 4 has plenty of aftermarket support, if that's your thing. Gen 5 is getting there too.

Polymer 80's are Gen 3. True.

G19 is more versatile than a G17? Depends on your definition. They both have their place. The G34 is a 9mm and the longer slide/barrel don't make it a "cannon". In fact, it shoots softer and flatter than any other 9mm production Glock (G17L notwithstanding).

G17's are lame? I can't even dignify that with a response. :rolleyes:

Finish Not sure about the gen 5 finish to be honest, but gen 4 was supposedly terrible. I know the gen 3 finish is known for being, if not "wear" resistant, very corrosion resistant. The tennifer finish extends into the metal, so even if scratched or worn it is still protected.

Frames: the gen 3 has 2 pins in the locking block vs 1 in the gen 5. This isn't needed for factory 9mm only, but what if you get a hot load, or want to run +p+ loads for competition? Or maybe a hardcast Hot bear load?

Sights:

My only point here was that when buying a LEO trade in, they typically come with night sights, which even if dull, are a $50-$150 upgrade over the stock plastic sights you get buying new. This cost is not being included in these arguments.

G19 vs g17.

The g19 can take 15 rd mags and conceal pretty well. Or you can stuff a 17 rd mag in it and have a shorter barrel for an easier draw, less hassle in a vehicle. You can add a Magwell for a larger feeling grip. If you want a longer barrel you can add a threaded barrel and comp. Hack you can even get a comp with a sight on it for the longer sight radius.

My point on the g34 was not that it is any more powerful, obviously, but it has a nice long barrel and sight radius if its sole use is competition, or you just want a true "full size" soft shooting gun, maybe as a primary HD handgun? The g17 just takes up a wierd middle ground I don't see the point of.

Finish Not sure about the gen 5 finish to be honest, but gen 4 was supposedly terrible. I know the gen 3 finish is known for being, if not "wear" resistant, very corrosion resistant. The tennifer finish extends into the metal, so even if scratched or worn it is still protected.

Frames: the gen 3 has 2 pins in the locking block vs 1 in the gen 5. This isn't needed for factory 9mm only, but what if you get a hot load, or want to run +p+ loads for competition? Or maybe a hardcast Hot bear load?

Sights:

My only point here was that when buying a LEO trade in, they typically come with night sights, which even if dull, are a $50-$150 upgrade over the stock plastic sights you get buying new. This cost is not being included in these arguments.

G19 vs g17.

The g19 can take 15 rd mags and conceal pretty well. Or you can stuff a 17 rd mag in it and have a shorter barrel for an easier draw, less hassle in a vehicle. You can add a Magwell for a larger feeling grip. If you want a longer barrel you can add a threaded barrel and comp. Hack you can even get a comp with a sight on it for the longer sight radius.

My point on the g34 was not that it is any more powerful, obviously, but it has a nice long barrel and sight radius if its sole use is competition, or you just want a true "full size" soft shooting gun, maybe as a primary HD handgun? The g17 just takes up a wierd middle ground I don't see the point of.

It takes up the middle ground where you get a full sized grip with 4.5 inches of barrel that gives you more FPS without having a slide with a big hole cut in the top that exposes more of your gun to the weather.

The 19 is more inconsistent with ejection and the 34 requires that hike in the slide to maintain a slide weight that 9mm can manipulate without special springs.

The 17 will run better with fewer issues because it was designed from the ground-up, not adapted.

It takes up the middle ground where you get a full sized grip with 4.5 inches of barrel that gives you more FPS without having a slide with a big hole cut in the top that exposes more of your gun to the weather.

The 19 is more inconsistent with ejection and the 34 requires that hike in the slide to maintain a slide weight that 9mm can manipulate without special springs.

The 17 will run better with fewer issues because it was designed from the ground-up, not adapted.

Nah man. 34>19>17 its sinple math really.

;)

Gen 5 34 fixed that issue, lightened the slide without open cuts. Had one for a while, great shooter

I finally decided I should own at least one Glock, probably a G17. Used Glock prices consistently seem pretty close to new, no matter what generation, and with the transfer fee it gets even closer. Any reason to not just buy a new one? One of the things that make me hesitant is it seems like a lot of people are trying to get rid of their Gen 5's and it makes me wonder if I'm missing something that you can't tell from a few sessions at the range. I should add that for me, anything within ~$200 of new, my inclination is to just go get a new one.

In the absence of a smoking deal, do most of you just buy new these days?
Hello.

I do not know how you are feeling about your buying decision, I am not fanboy of this brand but it is a great brand! I would like to extend to you my ad for a gently used Gen 3 G17 OD green model, which is posted here in the classifieds.

Thanks.

I bought it new maybe 8 or so years ago and shot at most 400 rounds through it. I am so bad at shooting it....... I will stick with 1911s and SIG 226.

I believe it is. $430 brand new!

New Glock smell, here I come baby. I almost pulled the trigger on this deal earlier in the year, but I was on the fence between a Glock and an M&P 2.0. Glad it's still running and I can slide in before the buzzer sounds.

Also, apropos of nothing, I just got upgraded to first class for my flight tomorrow. So, yeah.

We've got some factory rebuilt Glocks in stock right now that are a pretty good deal. The rebuilds are guns Glock uses for demo / show and then replaces any parts that have any wear on them with all new parts with matching serial numbers and they come with the full Glock warranty. All the 17 and 19's are 100% and you wouldn't be able to tell them apart from other new ones without rebuild tag on the trigger guard.

17G5 with the Ameriglo Night sights for $459.99
19G5 with regular night sights $459.99

We've got some factory rebuilt Glocks in stock right now that are a pretty good deal. The rebuilds are guns Glock uses for demo / show and then replaces any parts that have any wear on them with all new parts with matching serial numbers and they come with the full Glock warranty. All the 17 and 19's are 100% and you wouldn't be able to tell them apart from other new ones without rebuild tag on the trigger guard.

17G5 with the Ameriglo Night sights for $459.99
19G5 with regular night sights $459.99

OP here you go!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads