JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I finally decided I should own at least one Glock, probably a G17. Used Glock prices consistently seem pretty close to new, no matter what generation, and with the transfer fee it gets even closer. Any reason to not just buy a new one? One of the things that make me hesitant is it seems like a lot of people are trying to get rid of their Gen 5's and it makes me wonder if I'm missing something that you can't tell from a few sessions at the range. I should add that for me, anything within ~$200 of new, my inclination is to just go get a new one.

In the absence of a smoking deal, do most of you just buy new these days?

Because I can buy at Blue Label prices I will always buy new now that I live within a reasonable distance of a Blue Label dealer. If I did not qualify for that pricing I would buy a police trade in. They are usually stock, significant holster wear, and have seen 500 rounds per year or less. For $250-350 they are bargains. Look at gun.deals for comparison prices. "Police trade in" and "used" and "le trade" keywords will help narrow the results.

Because I can buy at Blue Label prices I will always buy new now that I live within a reasonable distance of a Blue Label dealer. If I did not qualify for that pricing I would buy a police trade in. They are usually stock, significant holster wear, and have seen 500 rounds per year or less. For $250-350 they are bargains. Look at gun.deals for comparison prices. "Police trade in" and "used" and "le trade" keywords will help narrow the results.

This. A Glock 17 costs me $430 new. I see a used one for $500, or worse yet, one thats been dicked with and the guy wants you to pay for the dicking at $750 or sometimes more....

I sold off my last Glock last year. That said, they are a darn fine defensive piece and there are deals aplenty. I'm stunned at how reasonable priced the trade-ins are I see on AIM Surplus, and am tempted by a Glock 21 in .45 ACP for the "just because" reason. That said, yah, the price difference between new versus new isn't wildly different, so why not the latter.

I buy new because I can, but came across a deal on sportsman's guide for gen 3 g17 police turn-ins that was too good to pass up. Get two for a little more than one.

That does look like a great deal, but man I hate those grip finger groves.

The P80 frame is essentially Gen3. Many argue more comfortable than factory Glock. Typically @$110-120 on sale. Takes about 20 minutes to machine with the most basic of tools. I've seen complete factory G17 and G19 slide assemblies on Ebay for $200. Lower kit @$50.
If you're patient and even a little crafty, you can build them cheap. On the flip side, the sky is the limit. Best of all -- no paperwork.

Glocks are good utility pistols, and while I say am not really a fan I will admit to having owned a 17, 21 and 40. Those have all gone away but when I saw a police turn in gen 4 Glock 22 with 3 15 round magazines for $300.00 I couldn't turn it down. Internally it looked brand new with no wear on the barrel hood and has a little holster wear. I replaced the stock front sight with a Dawson fiber optic, debured the metal to polymer slide surfaces and made it a pretty good shooter. So I vote for the smoken' deal, new glocks are like new cars, they lose a big chunk of their value as soon as they leave the showroom/store.

Ive had Glocks work just as well after 2000 rounds as it did when it was fresh out of the box.

If you can find a fair price, I wouldnt hesitate to buy a used one. In fact, the two I have now were purchased used and they have been absolutely fine.

Only exception could be with the Police Trade-In guns, you will definitely have the finish wear and an an unknown roundcount... but again, the price tends to reflect that.

I have heard nothing here about any reason to not get a Gen5. So unless someone here knows some reason, may as well get new. Now and then nice deals pop up on used but as mentioned I keep seeing people wanting new price for an old one. Have no kept up with the different Gen's. Is there anything about the Gen5 you don't like?
Just took a quick look at my favorite place to check price, Davidson', and they are showing new in box Gen 3's, 4s, and 5's. So looks like you can get whichever you want new anyway.

Used are usually overpriced, unless as has been mentioned, police trade ins can be good deals.

What I most often see in used Glocks for sale is either the same price as new or only $50.00 or so cheaper and you've no idea how well maintained it is...buy new.

Used are usually overpriced, unless as has been mentioned, police trade ins can be good deals.

What I most often see in used Glocks for sale is either the same price as new or only $50.00 or so cheaper and you've no idea how well maintained it is...buy new.

Unless I'm selling one. I price mine reasonably so others can experience heaven on earth.

:s0140:

The gen 3 glocks have a tougher finish, and a stronger frame than gen 5 to handle .40 SW. As posted above, a PD trade in gen 3 with night sights is typically a better deal than a new gen 5 with plastic sights.

Lots of aftermarket options for gen 3 if that is your jam.

I prefer can 3 because polymer 80 frames are gen 3.

Get a g19 over a g17. More versatile. Or a g34 if you want a real cannon. G17s are lame.

The gen 3 glocks have a tougher finish, and a stronger frame than gen 5 to handle .40 SW. As posted above, a PD trade in gen 3 with night sights is typically a better deal than a new gen 5 with plastic sights.

Lots of aftermarket options for gen 3 if that is your jam.

I prefer can 3 because polymer 80 frames are gen 3.

Get a g19 over a g17. More versatile. Or a g34 if you want a real cannon. G17s are lame.

Sorry dude, but I gotta disagree with most of what you posted here.

Gen 5 finishes are excellent. My Gen5 G19 has been in and out of a kydex holster a lot and doesn't show ANY wear, unlike my Gen 3. Tougher frames? Care to cite sources? Gen 3's came with plastic sights too. The night sights are an upgrade. Come on.

Gen 4 has plenty of aftermarket support, if that's your thing. Gen 5 is getting there too.

Polymer 80's are Gen 3. True.

G19 is more versatile than a G17? Depends on your definition. They both have their place. The G34 is a 9mm and the longer slide/barrel don't make it a "cannon". In fact, it shoots softer and flatter than any other 9mm production Glock (G17L notwithstanding).

G17's are lame? I can't even dignify that with a response. :rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads