JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I cc single action revolvers. I know, a single action isn't the ultimate self defense carry. I just prefer them. Now with that out of the way, I've been debating on getting a shoulder rig, and open carrying them. Not to make a statement, not to be cool, but because it makes sense to me. I had an incident the other day while hiking. Had to draw under pressure, and while I got it out and on target relatively quick for being concealed, I feel it wasn't fast enough.
So here is my question for you guys. How do you think people would react to that? I've watched people walk through the grocery store with a glock on their hip only to have other people avoid them. However, Ive had my wife's friends who are very liberal see my revolver on my hip and make a comments about it, sometimes a joke like calling me Wyatt Earp or Wild Bill, or sometimes something positive about the look of the pistol and rig.
So, I'm a little unsure how this would come across in public. Typically I don't care what people think about me or what I do, but I also don't want to be grouped into the same boat as the ding dongs that make some of us look bad.
Now, not to turn this into a fashion deal, I'm a blue collar power equipment tech, so usually day to day im just in jeans, a flannel or other button up shirt, and my work boots. I'll sub a button up short sleeve shirt in the summer. If I'm going out with my wife, it's just nicer versions of the same things haha. What I'm getting at is, aside from a few tattoos, and being a little brown :p, I'm not a threatening looking dude haha.

What do you guys think? Bad idea to open carry?

Last Edited:
In some instances, like when hiking, I dont think open carry is a bad idea. Animals that might bite or stomp you dont care what your mode of carry and bad guys might not see you as easy pickens.

In some towns in Rural America, it might be more common. At least positive reactions may be more common.

When I am among people in larger populaces, I like being the snake in the grass. My preference is to draw as little attention to myself as possible. That way, you dont get disarmed while taking a pizz or selected for the initial shock and awe of some psychos shooting spree.

I'm not for or against open carry. I just don't choose to make myself a target of someone that decides he wants my pistol. I used to open carry when backpacking cuz it was handy that way.

Everybody has their own opinion. This is only mine. I am in my late 60's and have been a gun guy way longer than some of our members are old. OK. I shot my first firearm several years before I started school. It was my Uncle's 30-30. That is my simple context and background. With that being said, your post/question made me recall several years ago when I was in a smallish town in northern WA. I saw a guy, not a LEO, packing a serious .357 on his hip open carried for all to see. Personally I thought it was odd. Why advertise? Why set one's self up as a target? No bad thoughts just curiosity on my part. I open carry at home on my own property. So do most of my neighbors. However if I go to town its CCW all the way. I carry to protect my family first and then me second. Open carry in town at the mall? Nope, its not my choice. If you OP want to open carry, its legal, go ahead. I can spot you very quickly and so could a BG. Me? You would never pick me out in town. I want to blend in and not be seen. I celebrate your rights to open carry. Unfortunately not everyone else will. Other opinions may vary. Best of luck to you. Pops

Your just asking for trouble if you go anywhere near Portland...

I OC in the woods. I also OC a big knife.

Place and time for everything imo.

Find a different CC gun if you need faster access I would say.

If someone wants to take your gun or just take you out, you are at a disadvantage. I see no benefit of open carry, save for partial convenience in this/your scenario.
However, there are many places I'd open carry while "hiking".. just not around here.. they'd have to be half remote.

I agree with the majority. In the woods, hiking, camping, open carry would be alright, but in an urban setting, why cause a commotion? Why advertise what you have, some bad guys may decide they want your gun and ambush you for it. I recently had an experience where a dude and his girlfriend thought I was carrying concealed and made a huge ruckus in the establishment I was in, so I left. Didn't need the grief.

Open carry in an urban environment is not a wise thing to do unless it's standard and expected part of your uniform.
It's a matter of dressing appropriately for a particular venue. While you may be able to wear a tux to the beach or a Speedo to church it's generally not the way to go.:confused:

Aside from hiking out in the woods or something, I'm just REALLY not a fan of open carry.

What do you envision happening if you're out in public somewhere and you need to draw on somebody? Because it appears to me that you've only thought about the timeframe from the point of needing to draw your gun and the point that your gun clears your holster. What about all the time preceding those actions? Because I can envision somebody having already seen that you're carrying and they walk up behind you, pull their gun out and put one in the back of your head...and THEN proceed to rob the store, etc.

And I'm sorry to be so graphic here. But honestly, I can see a 50/50 chance that you get the drop on them vs them getting the drop on you. Strictly speaking from a tactical standpoint, wearing a gun openly is just a really bad idea IMO.

And this doesn't even take into the headaches of dealing with scared people, the police, etc. While it may be legal, unless open carry is a common occurrence in your area, odds are pretty good that you will be talking to law enforcement because somebody phoned in, "man with a gun." Dealing with that is not my idea of a good time. No way do I want to end up at the business end of a police officer's gun under ANY circumstances. YMMV

Last Edited:
What happened the other day to cause you to have to draw?

Also, there's a lot of dicks in the world.. and they may well drop a dime on yer arse for the fun of it, stating you were frothing at the mouth and pointing your "white handled cowboy gun" (or whatever) at them. good luck with that

What happened the other day to cause you to have to draw?
Put down a dog that decided my pups neck made a good chew toy. Weirdest part, is I was miles from anyone, in a very remote area, and no collar on the dog. Judging by its condition, I'm guessing it was mistreated then dumped.

You guys have made some great points. All of which have crossed my mind in the past, and why I've never even considered OC. After hearing my poor dog howling in pain, it made me second guess my choice a little bit. We don't live in a perfect world, so I guess there will never be a perfect way to carry. I'm just glad I do carry.

He's fine now. A few cuts, but nothing too critical. He's a pretty solid and strong dog, but he thinks every other dog is his buddy. That's not a bad trait, but unfortunately it didn't work out so well for him this time.

Bummer you had to put down a dog, but also good on you that you did, & yours is allrite.

I'll echo what other folks have said. Only the bad guy knows if & when they're going to do bad, I'll not give them that extra opportunity to select me unbeknownst.

Now in a camp / hike type situation we do open carry, but even that depends on the circumstance ("congested" trails vs not etc.). It's a weighted reasoning for us involving physical hiking comfort (daypack, larger daypack etc etc), surrounds (commercial camp vs outback) and which weapon we'd like to have immediately at hand at the time (fullsize vs compact).

Oh & forgot to think on Rabbies. Give your Vet a ring, if you haven't allready.

I don't know what our Rabbies rates are out here, but back in Mass it was pretty prevelent in the Racoon population, so if there are similar populations of infected animals out here, and that dog had been taking some, it too may have become infected.

Should be a window period to get him a booster.

Oh & forgot to think on Rabbies. Give your Vet a ring, if you haven't allready.

I don't know what our Rabbies rates are out here, but back in Mass it was pretty prevelent in the Racoon population, so if there are similar populations of infected animals out here, and that dog had been taking some, it too may have become infected.

Should be a window period to get him a booster.

Calling the vet was one of the first things I did. Luckily, we just had his vaccinations brought up to date, and his booster was done just a little over a month ago.
Now the poor guy gets his nuts nipped in a few days. It's been a rough month so far for him lol.

Calling the vet was one of the first things I did. Luckily, we just had his vaccinations brought up to date, and his booster was done just a little over a month ago.
Now the poor guy gets his nuts nipped in a few days. It's been a rough month so far for him lol.

Ya did good guy :cool:.

Sucks for the poor stray but ya gotta protect your own.

I OC any time I'm in the woods, people around or not. It's the woods:rolleyes:.

Your just asking for trouble if you go anywhere near Portland...

I OC in the woods. I also OC a big knife.

Place and time for everything imo.

Find a different CC gun if you need faster access I would say.

Saw an open carry guy at Safeway in Vancouver the other day and was surprised to see it. Course he had all the other "I'm a gun guy" gear so concealed was not really his intent at all. Just not used to seeing it outside the range in this area

I OC around my house and yard, but if I'm going somewhere I cover it. Yesterday I wanted to remove my jacket for lunch, so I took a seat where the pistol was by the wall. Actually, I do that a lot!:)
I dunno if I'd be comfortable OC'ing in Sandy. Sandy has been infiltrated by the liberals in the last 10-20 years! Certainly wouldn't closer in to PDX!

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews