JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When I'm moving around on my farm, I sometimes open carry. Other than that, I'd prefer to keep it concealed.

I was trying out a new OWB holster recently, and wore it into town under a jacket. Turned out the jacket was just short enough that when I bent forward at a counter, the bottom of the holster was uncovered. When I turned around, the man behind me had a very concerned look on his face. He didn't say anything, but he sure was troubled.

Finding a good option for concealed carry can be a chore - but I think it's worth the effort. A shoulder rig might work well for you if you cover it with a vest or jacket.

I suppose I should be looking at every one else but never do.
If on a rare occasion my thing slips out, I just slide something over it, never looking to see anybody's reaction.
Why would I?
Almost every day people comment about this and I just don't get it.

Open carry, making your self a target by bringing attention to ones self. Those junkies and cons will take you out in a New York
Second if they want your side arm and you will never know what happened, most likely.
Silver Hand

I see no point in advertising the fact that you are armed. I think it puts you at a distinct disadvantage in the event there is a bad guy around. I have no quarrel with those who open carry but it's not my thing.

A comment on open carry while hiking:
I have logged thousands of miles on and off trails-everything from go-to metropolitan area hikes to some of meanest most remote stuff in the lower 48. I have only felt the NEED to open carry on a small handful of occasions. I am talking about in bear country at the peak of huckleberry season. Or, in moose country when I know a mama moose and her little one are in the immediate vicinity. As far as being concerned about sketchy people on the trails I'll say this--open carry automatically makes you the suspicious/sketchy guy on the trail (outside of hunting season). I have encountered many odd people in the woods and had some very uncomfortable encounters-none of those would have been any better had I been open carrying. Hell, I had an angry women popping off shots in my direction just last summer (she later claimed to think I was a bear). Had she seen me armed maybe she would have actually taken aim at me instead of just 'warning me' (she was upset that anyone came near her property--this was 50 miles from anywhere in Idaho, but that's another story).

I have inadvertently walked into pot grow sites in California and Utah where the best course of action was to turn around and quickly walked out the way I came. Had I been openly armed and been being watched (which I think I was in Utah) then maybe I was not going to get to walk out of there.

My point being is that if you feel like you need a firearm in the woods a backpack is as good a place as any for most of the actual threats out there. In my experience just staying aware of my surroundings and options have kept me out of truly life-threatening situations where I would need to draw and fire.

I highly recommend watching the Active Self Protection videos on YouTube. They will help you analyze and consider how you would react in various situations, and they often highlight how important it is to maintain an element of surprise in public situations. There are a number of very sad outcomes in these videos but they all provide valuable lessons that will help you be prepared and, as John often says at the end of the video, "cover your...".

Perhaps the only time I open carry is when camping remotely, hunting, and when target shooting at a pit, where I may commonly step away from my rifle to check the target.

It would be nice if open carry were common for the purpose of helping to create a public perception where "law abiding citizens carry, this is normal". But most of society seems to no longer be stable enough for this approach to be followed.

Like many have already stated open carry can indeed work well depending the time and place.
But for many of us , while legal to do so , it might not be the best option.
Due to how the other people around you might perceive you and what you are doing.

The areas where I usually hunt are popular with the public year around.
You can find hikers , loggers , campers , ATVers etc ... all in the area where you want to hunt or shoot.
Many times during off season I will be up in the area scouting or just hiking with one of my rifles to stay in shape.
When bumping into folks the reaction can vary.
One thing I have learned is to be extremely polite and non threatening when interacting with others while openly carrying a firearm.

It is a shame that we as gun owners are often lumped into the "Bad Guy" category.
It also says a lot for our society when so many folks are afraid of gun owners or the guns themselves.
If more non gun people read the remarks just on this thread , they might have a better understanding of gun owners and those who carry a gun as well ... *sigh*
Andy

Bummer you had to put down a dog, but also good on you that you did, & yours is allrite.

I'll echo what other folks have said. Only the bad guy knows if & when they're going to do bad, I'll not give them that extra opportunity to select me unbeknownst.

Now in a camp / hike type situation we do open carry, but even that depends on the circumstance ("congested" trails vs not etc.). It's a weighted reasoning for us involving physical hiking comfort (daypack, larger daypack etc etc), surrounds (commercial camp vs outback) and which weapon we'd like to have immediately at hand at the time (fullsize vs compact).

It all depends..... when and if I do, even just plinking in remote spots I have a hidden back up.

Bad idea to open carry in general public areas for the above reasons.

I open carry in the woods and on Halloween. I like open carrying, CC is kind of a chore TBH.

Being smart about things rarely coincides with what I want or what I like.
Im super curious why Halloween

Like many have already stated open carry can indeed work well depending the time and place.
But for many of us , while legal to do so , it might not be the best option.
Due to how the other people around you might perceive you and what you are doing.

The areas where I usually hunt are popular with the public year around.
You can find hikers , loggers , campers , ATVers etc ... all in the area where you want to hunt or shoot.
Many times during off season I will be up in the area scouting or just hiking with one of my rifles to stay in shape.
When bumping into folks the reaction can vary.
One thing I have learned is to be extremely polite and non threatening when interacting with others while openly carrying a firearm.

It is a shame that we as gun owners are often lumped into the "Bad Guy" category.
It also says a lot for our society when so many folks are afraid of gun owners or the guns themselves.
If more non gun people read the remarks just on this thread , they might have a better understanding of gun owners and those who carry a gun as well ... *sigh*
Andy

It would be an eye opener for them too bad they are all busy reading up on more reasons to hate guns :/

but I'm a hungry hungry mall ninja!

Woah... Do people not realize surveillance is everywhere now a days...

That old saying. Complacency kills.

Last time I did it, I dressed like Rick Grimes and carried my 6" 686 plus. If you're in costume, it's generally not that big of a deal.

A few kids and a couple of moms asked if it was real. All positive interactions. One mom in our group said they all felt safer having me along.

Last time I did it, I dressed like Rick Grimes and carried my 6" 686 plus. If you're in costume, it's generally not that big of a deal.

A few kids and a couple of moms asked if it was real. All positive interactions. One mom in our group said they all felt safer having me along.

OH that's awesome I was kinda thinking it would be a story of you getting Into an altercation on Halloween and vowing to never be unprepared again. :D

To the OP...The consensus seems to be that it is better to not advertise you're carrying a gun and I tend to agree. Of course I live IN Portland! And we know open carrying HERE is going to get you unwanted attention! In PDX you'd never get to where you need to be because of all the calls from snowflakes about the "Man with a gun". o_OYou'd be spending a lot your time talking with Portland's finest!

...Oohhh clowns. Hate 'em!

Yeah, glad THAT little fad is at rest now. Some creepy videos of that stuff out there.

I'm not against those that OC, it's just not for me. I've only open carried for a brief time in my life, it was 1996-2003 when I was a uniformed patrol officer...other than that, the "Gray Man" works for me.

WOW there aren't any open carry proponents on here any more?
Or they just don't want to argue the good points y'all have made? I remember a few years ago this kind of thread would have had half of the post voting for OC stating you'll lose the right if you don't!
For me OC in town is silly unless you are a cop. I agree that you would be the first target of a bad guy ifin a robbery was about to go down. But when I left town I usually open carried. Maybe a coat over it in cooler months. Even in Sequim I didn't open carry much.
But I have never had any bad experiences out in the wood hiking ,open carrying. Heck here it very common,even with older women out horse back riding.
I don't carry much in town anyway,but for hunting and woods carry I had a tank rig made. It's not a real shoulder rig but carries like one. You may look at Double D holsters also.
They make some nice chest rigs for most any handgun,large or small.
My tanker rig hangs on the side and can be covered easily if you feel it necessary,whereas the DD is right in the middle of your chest. So I guess you could cover it with your binocs
Diamond D Custom Leather, Home of the Alaskan Guide's Choice™ Holster
Here's the google page for a tanker holster. They were originally made for a 1911 but you could have one made for your single action. I prefer these to the double 'd' and the regular shoulder rigs
https://www.google.com/search?clien...-gws-hp..0.15.900.3..5j41j0i131k1.6gtFjZQAxws

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top