JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The attorney that taught my enhanced CC class recommended that we open carry at least sometimes to let people know that guns aren't bad and neither are most of the people who carry them. I do disagree though. While I think it would be great if people weren't so freaked out when they see a gun, I personally don't want to be the one they freaked out about. Fact is in almost any jurisdiction, if someone calls the police because you have a gun visible, the police are required to respond. And some of them won't appreciate you exercising your 2A rights so publicly.
Unfortunately, this has happened a few times in Vancouver over the past several years. Open carry is legal, but only if you are not acting in an aggressive manner (hand on gun, suggesting/threatening posture, etc.). Problem is that enough city folks call the police and lock their business doors (I'm not kidding) if they see a gun on someone's hip. Maybe they think you're the next mass shooter. In one of these cases, the OC person told the responding police that he was exercising his right to open carry, which the officer thought was illegal in city limits (again, not kidding).

I often find CC to be a pain in the @$$ (G43 IWB) and may choose to OC at times, but it's not worth being perceived as the BG and/or unnecessarily dealing with LEOs. In fact, two of my neighbors are LEOs; this is a good reminder to get their opinion on the topic.

As far as hiking/climbing/camping - a USFS ranger asked me to conceal my pistol even though I didn't have a CC permit at the time, to prevent 'making people nervous'.

Last Edited:
Here's a link to the Hill People Gear Kit Bag that someone asked about.

Hill People Gear | Real use gear for backcountry travelers

View attachment 349665

They come in a couple of sizes and with various options (extra pockets, Molle webbing, etc). The small one is shown. I can easily pack a 5" 1911 or 5-6" K frame revolver in their standard (large) size Kit Bag. But my Colt SAA in 7 1/2" won't fit. A 4 3/4" barrel certainly would.

You can also stuff a phone, wallet, keys, reloads, etc. in secondary pockets. Far superior to a waist pack for carrying while hiking and running. When you leave it unzipped just a little, it easy to tear down the zippered front panel, using your fingers like claws, and quickly access the firearm with your dominant hand.

In my opinion, HPG is a pretty skookum outfit. Their backpacks are high quality and are exceptionally comfortable. The grimlocks shown on the front immediately above the bag will permit you to dock the Kit bag to their regular backpacks. So you can wear a backpack with the addition of a smaller front-pack (kit bag) containing your handgun and other items that you want quickly accessible.
I've used a Wilderness Tactical Safepacker holster for outdoor pursuits for the past decade. Another great product to check out.

Open carry (in town) is almost more a political statement than anything. Not that it's not a useful political statement, after all someone has to do it! But I would rationalize it (or not) primarily on that basis.

I OC'd quite a bit in Cody, Wyoming, even with all the tourists. Never had a problem, but that's Wyoming for ya.

If you are worried about some lout grabbing your gun, bolt it into your holster, and CC a big knife. Then when he is trying to get the gun away from you, you can gut him for his trouble. :)

Last Edited:
I cc single action revolvers. I know, a single action isn't the ultimate self defense carry. I just prefer them. Now with that out of the way, I've been debating on getting a shoulder rig, and open carrying them. Not to make a statement, not to be cool, but because it makes sense to me. I had an incident the other day while hiking. Had to draw under pressure, and while I got it out and on target relatively quick for being concealed, I feel it wasn't fast enough.
So here is my question for you guys. How do you think people would react to that? I've watched people walk through the grocery store with a glock on their hip only to have other people avoid them. However, Ive had my wife's friends who are very liberal see my revolver on my hip and make a comments about it, sometimes a joke like calling me Wyatt Earp or Wild Bill, or sometimes something positive about the look of the pistol and rig.
So, I'm a little unsure how this would come across in public. Typically I don't care what people think about me or what I do, but I also don't want to be grouped into the same boat as the ding dongs that make some of us look bad.
Now, not to turn this into a fashion deal, I'm a blue collar power equipment tech, so usually day to day im just in jeans, a flannel or other button up shirt, and my work boots. I'll sub a button up short sleeve shirt in the summer. If I'm going out with my wife, it's just nicer versions of the same things haha. What I'm getting at is, aside from a few tattoos, and being a little brown :p, I'm not a threatening looking dude haha.

What do you guys think? Bad idea to open carry?

I cc single action revolvers. I know, a single action isn't the ultimate self defense carry. I just prefer them. Now with that out of the way, I've been debating on getting a shoulder rig, and open carrying them. Not to make a statement, not to be cool, but because it makes sense to me. I had an incident the other day while hiking. Had to draw under pressure, and while I got it out and on target relatively quick for being concealed, I feel it wasn't fast enough.
So here is my question for you guys. How do you think people would react to that? I've watched people walk through the grocery store with a glock on their hip only to have other people avoid them.

What do you guys think? Bad idea to open carry?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That's not the worst that can happen: 5 years ago I was jogging on Stark in east Portland and went thru (I believe) Ventura Park past a traffic cop, after I cleared the park that cop had pulled around and, cowardly from the left-turn lane, spotlighted me saying "I" would cause many, many false calls because I was open carrying: that coward kept his distance so I could not get his name or badge number or even car number.
BUT on the way home with my 5" silver Springfield tactical on my belt I passed many people on the sidewalk (it was past midnight) parking and going home, none gave me even a glance.
HOWEVER I approached a dark building and a shadowy person came towards me from the near corner of that building - then stopped and backed up into the shadows as I laid my hand on my gun. Just a few seconds later the same happened again as I approached the far corner of the same building and again rested my hand on my gun as they approached. So much for that cowardly cop's ideas, who had taken off 8 minutes earlier to chase down a speeder, since I was open carrying neither of those shadowy figures got close, that is so close I would have been forced to shoot them dead if they attacked.... that sure would ruin the day, perhaps my whole life, having to stop an attacker BUT never had to since my gun was already visible and ready to go.
In another incident I was in Home Depot looking at tools and the "Manager" came up and told me many customers were afraid of me "brandishing" my gun (he had no idea what brandishing really was and was way wrong since my gun always remained holstered) I told him Home Depot had neglected to post required "No guns allowed" signs and he should call and check policies (he was from another state and just started working in Oregon) about 5 minutes later he came back and said they had a "No Gun" policy everywhere, EXCEPT in Oregon (bet not in Washington State either).
LOL
I was OC on my nightly jog VS OC in a store, Home Depot was just before the 4th so I decided to OC to commemorate the Holiday. To OC in Portland and 4 other Oregon cities you must have a CPL (this is the NW, not China Lake, so we have wet weather most of the year and wear coats which conceal an otherwise visible gun). I CC most of the time BUT OC when I feel like it. I always OC with my Level-2 duty holster and CC with a similar IWB locking holster (certainly don't want to be like that guy who "lost" his gun in a theater on the coast). On hikes in parks I OC most of the time.
LOL

Last Edited:
I've read a bunch of stories about people having to pull their concealed weapon. I've been carrying a concealed weapon for many years and never have come close to having to pull it. I think some of these guys have a vivid imagination.

I've read a bunch of stories about people having to pull their concealed weapon. I've been carrying a concealed weapon for many years and never have come close to having to pull it. I think some of these guys have a vivid imagination.

With that logic Im sure you dont believe people have been hit by drunk drivers since you have probably been driving for many years but have never come close to being hit by one yourself. :rolleyes:

I prefer to have mystery myself. there are instances and all are correct.
1. Open carry keeps bad guys at bay.
2. Open carry gives bad guys a heads up.

I supposed if a armed bad guy saw you armed as well he would have that pistol in ones face possibly.
However perhaps if it was CC, the surprise would be on my side.
The same type conversations come up when asked if people chamber or not.
I suppose do what you are comfortable with. Me I CC just cause I like my privacy and do not want
people watching me, I only open carry on vary rare occasions.

Who knows, carry safe and carry how you feel safe,.

DH - Out,

In post #92 I referenced that I have a chest rig it is nothing fancy just an "Uncle Mikes" Nylon fabric, it holds the pistol and one mag. it is handy for hunting fishing EVEN in a float tube, and general rural chores.
A while back I was bear hunting in the mixed terrain around "Trappers Creek AK" and found a soft spot that I went to my crotch through the sod and mud, my magazine released was somehow pressed and it came out, fortunately my partner saw it and retrieved the mag, I replaced the one that fell for a fresh one and kept the other one separate until I got back to camp where I did a good cleaning of all my firearm gear.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top