JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I got complacent in my lifestyle after not having problems for months

a life lesson - no matter 4 legged intruder or 2, you can't get complacent

and the time lost turning on and adjusting a red dot scope lost me the shot

shake a wake is the way to go

P.S. iron sights were useless in the shadows of early morning up here against a camo raccoon, they blend into the shadows very well
In my experience a racoon that has been chased off and plans to come back will usually skip the next night and will come back the second night after the first visit. Some will actually never return if chased off the first night they visit. About 2/3 in my neighborhood back when I had a duck flock. I used to always give a coon one chance to learn my duck flock was protected turf. Would chase them away with spotlight or shot into ground next to them if they ignored spotlight. If they returned I shot them. Not shooting coons that can be taught to leave your poultry alone is optimal, I figure. If you kill the coons, other coons will take over the territory, and you're in a never-ending cycle of needing to kill coons, as all the excess from your area end up in your yard.

Maybe leave red dot adjustment as set the night coon visited? Might be close enough for next visit. And turn on when you pick up gun?

We have coons all over. They visit nightly. They are very respectful to my cats and never cause any trouble. Very rare really to have such mild mannered coons around. I leave them alone because they are nice. The skunks are another story. They are arseholes. My cats won't even wake up when the coons come by to look for food.

The coons will walk away when I come home late at night but before disappearing they stop, turn around, and wave at me. I'm not joking either. Weirdest dang animals I have ever seen.

1665107085682.png

Aloha, Mark

we've lost 2 geese to raccoons - they didn't even eat the geese, broke their necks, then found they couldn't get through the feathers

if the raccoons come in at night, the geese are in their coup and protected, but 9 in the morning is full sunrise

I have a policy - inside the wire, they are MINE (half acre inside the wire) - outside the wire, they are just part of our forest environment

In my experience a racoon that has been chased off and plans to come back will usually skip the next night and will come back the second night after the first visit. Some will actually never return if chased off the first night they visit. About 2/3 in my neighborhood back when I had a duck flock. I used to always give a coon one chance to learn my duck flock was protected turf. Would chase them away with spotlight or shot into ground next to them if they ignored spotlight. If they returned I shot them. Not shooting coons that can be taught to leave your poultry alone is optimal, I figure. If you kill the coons, other coons will take over the territory, and you're in a never-ending cycle of needing to kill coons, as all the excess from your area end up in your yard.

Maybe leave red dot adjustment as set the night coon visited? Might be close enough for next visit. And turn on when you pick up gun?
I have an old Bushnell first gen red dot scope - ON switch progresses into illumination settings
time to upgrade

after shooting 3 raccoons several months ago, this is the first daylight visitor we have had

10_22 Carbine_1.JPG

I'm really looking forward to retirement I guess. Nothing to do all day but worry about how to hunt a coon.
let me warn you about retirement
you get up when you want - usually 9:30 for me - have to let the geese out
have coffee on the deck, listening to - NOTHING - live in the woods
start drinking beer at noon when I start work in the garden
wife brings me lunch about 2
give it up by 4 and have my first glass of wine
start dinner at 7
then go back out in the forest in the dark and drink more wine while listening to soft jazz

deer don't seem to mind soft jazz, I've had deer walk past me in the dark while I drink wine
and I've heard creatures walking behind me in the woods, I don't turn around to look, probably Big Foot

forest getaway.jpg

We have coons all over. They visit nightly. They are very respectful to my cats and never cause any trouble. Very rare really to have such mild mannered coons around. I leave them alone because they are nice. The skunks are another story. They are arseholes. My cats won't even wake up when the coons come by to look for food.

The coons will walk away when I come home late at night but before disappearing they stop, turn around, and wave at me. I'm not joking either. Weirdest dang animals I have ever seen.
Most mammals have a pretty good ability to figure out the intention of other individuals including of other species. Critters like coons, foxes, wolves, crows, jays, and ravens excellent at it. Foxes can often be found with a badger friend they hang around and hunt with. Many birds understand the alarm calls of other species. My ducks and I both understood the alarm calls of jays signalling presence of a hawk. From the back yard we couldn't see hawks approaching from the far side of the house, but the jays would always warn us, and the ducks would be hiding out of sight under the deck or under brush before the hawk reached the back yards aerospace. Once I watched morning after morning as a small rabbit acclimated the ducks to his presence. At first the ducks made half-hearted alarm calls when rabbit got within about 50'. Rabbit reassured the ducks by looking the other way and pretending to eat grass, even though he was in a spot that was mostly bare with a little course unpalatable grass compared with the rest of the yard. After a few days rabbit could forage among the duck flock and take rests lolling among them, protected by the fact that the duck flocks always had multiple ducks watching for predators who made distinctive alarm calls if any danger threated. Other bunnies had to forage at night and try to keep watch at the same time. Smart bunny hid in a hole under the deck at night and didn't come out till I let ducks out in morning. He foraged happily in sun and bedded down for naps when the ducks napped.

OK, suggestions on a rife capable shake a wake scopes
my cousins have Holosun
my neighbor has the Sig

Best bang for the buck is the Sig Romeo 5.
0mm-red-dot-sight-mcimage-spids-94567-96042-vids-1.jpg

2 MOA dot:
ry-picatinny-co-witness-mounts-black-sor52001-av-1.jpg

2 MOA dot w/ 65 MOA circle:

opplanet-sig-sauer-2moa-dot-65moa-circle-reticle.jpg

Most mammals have a pretty good ability to figure out the intention of other individuals including of other species. Critters like coons, foxes, wolves, crows, jays, and ravens excellent at it. Foxes can often be found with a badger friend they hang around and hunt with. Many birds understand the alarm calls of other species. My ducks and I both understood the alarm calls of jays signalling presence of a hawk. From the back yard we couldn't see hawks approaching from the far side of the house, but the jays would always warn us, and the ducks would be hiding out of sight under the deck or under brush before the hawk reached the back yards aerospace. Once I watched morning after morning as a small rabbit acclimated the ducks to his presence. At first the ducks made half-hearted alarm calls when rabbit got within about 50'. Rabbit reassured the ducks by looking the other way and pretending to eat grass, even though he was in a spot that was mostly bare with a little course unpalatable grass compared with the rest of the yard. After a few days rabbit could forage among the duck flock and take rests lolling among them, protected by the fact that the duck flocks always had multiple ducks watching for predators who made distinctive alarm calls if any danger threated. Other bunnies had to forage at night and try to keep watch at the same time. Smart bunny hid in a hole under the deck at night and didn't come out till I let ducks out in morning. He foraged happily in sun and bedded down for naps when the ducks napped.
we have a Steller Jay that can emulate the cry of a Red Tail Hawk
amusing to watch - you hear the hawk cry, the rest of the Steller Jays fly off and the geese gather in a protective group under the Ash tree
then this one lone Jay flys down and eats his fill of corn, while the rest of the birds a harboring from a Hawk

Best bang for the buck is the Sig Romeo 5.
View attachment 1288141

2 MOA dot:
View attachment 1288142

2 MOA dot w/ 65 MOA circle:

View attachment 1288143
the one with the 65 MOA circle is the one I'm looking at - thanks

Sucker will come back now that he knows. Have a pair around here that "so far" are ignoring the chickens. So I let them do their thing. Other morning I look out the kitchen window and there is a damn Coyote right there not 25 feet sniffing around. Place was open so I was hesitant to shoot him in case someone heard it. Thought of using some of the CCI quiet stuff I have at the ready but damn I hate to maim him and him get away. Finally shot him with rubber bullet and he of course took off like a scalded cat. Looked at the camera's and he had not even bothered to go near the chickens. I guess since they are fenced he decided to go after the critters running around. Later that same day I saw him again and another rubber bullet sent him scattering. If he starts trying to did under the fence I guess I will have to drill him. Hate to do it with something so low powered though. One more reason to get a damn suppressor :D

My favorite too. You have essentially 3 points of aim for different distances, plus a big circle for rapid acquisition. I loved it in my EOTech but sometimes you don't need a $600 sight for a $200 gun you're going to mostly shoot inside 50 yards.
agree - my EOTECH is on my AR night rifle I take when I go outside the wire at night
have a weapons light on the front to illuminate 100 yrds down field

P1030908.JPG P1030923.JPG

Sucker will come back now that he knows. Have a pair around here that "so far" are ignoring the chickens. So I let them do their thing. Other morning I look out the kitchen window and there is a damn Coyote right there not 25 feet sniffing around. Place was open so I was hesitant to shoot him in case someone heard it. Thought of using some of the CCI quiet stuff I have at the ready but damn I hate to maim him and him get away. Finally shot him with rubber bullet and he of course took off like a scalded cat. Looked at the camera's and he had not even bothered to go near the chickens. I guess since they are fenced he decided to go after the critters running around. Later that same day I saw him again and another rubber bullet sent him scattering. If he starts trying to did under the fence I guess I will have to drill him. Hate to do it with something so low powered though. One more reason to get a damn suppressor :D
had one raccoon that we shot with a paint ball gun and he still came back
had another that was shot in the leg with a .22LR and still came back
in my experience it takes 3 .22 LR hollow points permently put down a raccoon
but I'm not using a .223 or 6.5 inside the wire

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews