JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
They walk the beach in front of the house picking small fish out of the river and when spooked, they fly off and screech like a banshee. It is like something out of a damn horror flick, or maybe it is like a Teradactyl? At any rate, it scares the crap out of me every time. They are pretty cool birds though. Neat to watch them slowly work along and snatch those little fish out of the water.
I've only seen them standing around. Never heard them screech.

That call is just frickin' hideous. :D

I found some more interesting facts:

There are several around the marina. (Blue herons) One very old one has staked out his hunting grounds. Constantly feeding on little fish under the lights. He's got a pretty easy life here.

We named him Hank Heron (get it?) I've seen him stand hidden and watch people come down the docks and squawk at them, and he's loud. It almost seems as if he enjoys it.

That call is just frickin' hideous. :D
You ain't kidding. First time I ever heard it, we had just bought the house. I walked out into the back yard at night and it flew off and made that sound. I never saw the bird because it was dark. I ran back in the house and told my wife, "I think there's a wounded cougar out there!". I had my gun out every time I went outside after dark until I figured out what the hell was making that noise... 🙄

heard the geese screaming and they gathered in a defensive circle around the babies
ran out with the 10/22, only to find our local Blue Heron had landed in their pool
a Heron this large can eat baby geese, but I'm not shooting a Blue Heron, in flight they look like a teradactyl

I was once walking down to our woods on a foggy morning
saw the fog swirling in front of me and out of the fog came this Blue Heron, flying just above my head level
as it flew past, it turned it's head and just looked at me
I thought I had morphed to Jurassic Park

View attachment 1239183
For couple decades Wife had Koi. Used to have to chase one off from them now and then. Used one of the full auto air soft guns. Harmless to the bird but it would safely chase him off from eating her fish. :D

we found out this week that crows will also eat baby geese
one landed in the yard by the babies - and daddy goose took offence
there are black feathers all over the yard
daddy goose chased that crow across the yard, ripping out feathers and beating it with his wings
it finally took off and got away from his vengeance
was amusing to watch

it wasn't as big as a raven
we have crows out here that feed on our filberts
Hey, I thought I was going to meet you face to face today. At BiMart. Talking to the guy at the gun counter and a guy comes in and asks about .22 mag. He showed him accubond (think that was it), hollow point and FMJ. The guy starts to tell why he needs it. He has a huge racoon that's killed a couple of his chickens. He's setting it up with a live chicken as a decoy to get the coon in a trap. He has studied the coons routine and has a small window where the racoon comes through his place. Says he has nightvision goggles.
At least it made me think of of you? :D

Hey, I thought I was going to meet you face to face today. At BiMart. Talking to the guy at the gun counter and a guy comes in and asks about .22 mag. He showed him accubond (think that was it), hollow point and FMJ. The guy starts to tell why he needs it. He has a huge racoon that's killed a couple of his chickens. He's setting it up with a live chicken as a decoy to get the coon in a trap. He has studied the coons routine and has a small window where the racoon comes through his place. Says he has nightvision goggles.
I think we have our racoon problem in hand
our's were so bolt, they came out in the daytime
our neighbor told us he still sees them on his trailcam and night, but no more day visitors

That guy is the great coon hunter he goes tactical

I think we have our racoon problem in hand
our's were so bolt, they came out in the daytime
our neighbor told us he still sees them on his trailcam and night, but no more day visitors
I would imagine after your change of heart about them they wised up pretty quick.
We feed our crows stuff on the front lawn. There's also three shallow water pans there. A few night ago, before we went to bed, I looked out and there was pretty good sized racoon on the front lawn. I shot him in the but with the pellet gun. 'Course it wasn't going to hurt it. Made it jump though! Hit it again and it barely reacted. Went to bed after that. Once in a while a couple, or family, will be traveling on top of our 6' fence 12' out from our bedroom window. The damned city racoons don't seem scared of anything.

I would imagine after your change of heart about them they wised up pretty quick.
We feed our crows stuff on the front lawn. There's also three shallow water pans there. A few night ago, before we went to bed, I looked out and there was pretty good sized racoon on the front lawn. I shot him in the but with the pellet gun. 'Course it wasn't going to hurt it. Made it jump though! Hit it again and it barely reacted. Went to bed after that. Once in a while a couple, or family, will be traveling on top of our 6' fence 12' out from our bedroom window. The damned city racoons don't seem scared of anything.
They're "woke" and they know that the Portland DA won't prosecute them.
I'd be careful around them "woke" 'coons.
They're liable to start a riot on your front lawn and Ted Wheeler will be right in amongst them.
Might be a good opportunity to put a pellet in Wheeler's a$$, though.

Last Edited:
it's been months, but another raccoon showed up this morning
I had woken early - 9 o'clock is early when your retired
didn't have my glasses on and hadn't had coffee yet
geese are still in their coup, but are screaming
stick my head out the door and here is this large raccoon, on it's hind legs, just looking at the geese in their enclosure
I run back in grab a 10/22, jam a mag in, rack the slide and turn on the red dot scope (after I leave the house, of course)
by then the bugger is running for the fence
I had turned the red dot on to it's first setting and it washed out the scope in the low light
emptied 10 rnds where I had last seen the raccoon, but bright red illumination, no coffee and no glasses, - no joy

starting again today, two loaded 10/22s, one by each door
and I'll put on glasses as I get out of bed
I think I need one of those high tech shake a wake scopes
but there's no cure for lack of coffee when confronting an intruder when your 72

it's been months, but another raccoon showed up this morning
I had woken early - 9 o'clock is early when your retired
didn't have my glasses on and hadn't had coffee yet
geese are still in their coup, but are screaming
stick my head out the door and here is this large raccoon, on it's hind legs, just looking at the geese in their enclosure
I run back in grab a 10/22, jam a mag in, rack the slide and turn on the red dot scope (after I leave the house, of course)
by then the bugger is running for the fence
I had turned the red dot on to it's first setting and it washed out the scope in the low light
emptied 10 rnds where I had last seen the raccoon, but bright red illumination, no coffee and no glasses, - no joy

starting again today, two loaded 10/22s, one by each door
and I'll put on glasses as I get out of bed
I think I need one of those high tech shake a wake scopes
but there's no cure for lack of coffee when confronting an intruder when your 72
Truth!

He'll be back!

I got complacent in my lifestyle after not having problems for months

a life lesson - no matter 4 legged intruder or 2, you can't get complacent

and the time lost turning on and adjusting a red dot scope lost me the shot

shake a wake is the way to go

P.S. iron sights were useless in the shadows of early morning up here against a camo raccoon, they blend into the shadows very well

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top