JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
200w.gif
sure, they're cute until one kills an Emden goose you hand raised in your front room, then the first week you let her outside, a raccoon rips hear head off

had one raccoon that we shot with a paint ball gun and he still came back
had another that was shot in the leg with a .22LR and still came back
in my experience it takes 3 .22 LR hollow points permently put down a raccoon
but I'm not using a .223 or 6.5 inside the wire
The pair I have here that I assume are a mated pair have "so far" ignored the hens. If they do start showing interest I will have to shoot them sadly. Getting old and its strange. While back when the one scum threatened one of my dogs I am sure I would have drilled him no problem. Critters? I have a hard time killing now especially if I can't do it clean. Getting soft in my old age I guess and less tolerant of two legged fools :s0140:

The pair I have here that I assume are a mated pair have "so far" ignored the hens. If they do start showing interest I will have to shoot them sadly. Getting old and its strange. While back when the one scum threatened one of my dogs I am sure I would have drilled him no problem. Critters? I have a hard time killing now especially if I can't do it clean. Getting soft in my old age I guess and less tolerant of two legged fools :s0140:
I've been shooting off my porch with 10/22 for 24 years - I know my fire zones as if there were marks on the deck
we have a porch under the roof line, so we have vertical 4x6 holding up the roof, my zones of fire are between these verticals
and our porch is 3' off the ground, so if I'm firing inside the wire, my shots are all down in the dirt not across the field into my neighbors property
we have LED lights illuminating the yard and goose pen - good back light for a red dot scope
but as I experienced, not enough backlite for a 4X scope with duplex cross hairs

Getting soft in my old age I guess and less tolerant of two legged fools
Amen brother.

I find myself much more affected by killing animals. Matter of fact, last deer I shot made me almost shed a tear while I was sautéing it in olive oil. 🤣

Kidding aside, for the most part I'm coming to the realization that most animals are just doing what animals do and I try to give them a little leeway (until it directly affects me like these damn coons) but when humans start acting like animals, then all bets are off....

Amen brother.

I find myself much more affected by killing animals. Matter of fact, last deer I shot made me almost shed a tear while I was sautéing it in olive oil. 🤣

Kidding aside, for the most part I'm coming to the realization that most animals are just doing what animals do and I try to give them a little leeway (until it directly affects me like these damn coons) but when humans start acting like animals, then all bets are off....
one of my pleasures in life is sitting out by my wisteria and watching the deer come in to eat apples in my neighbors field
I can get within 20' and throw carrots out to them
never thought about shooting one
raccoons are a different issue

Wisteria.JPG

Best bang for the buck is the Sig Romeo 5.
View attachment 1288141

2 MOA dot:
View attachment 1288142

2 MOA dot w/ 65 MOA circle:

View attachment 1288143
Have two of them... Need to buy a few more. Got a lotta smokepoles to equip... :rolleyes:

Amen brother.

Understandable. A human who preys on other humans is much more likely to be encountered and much more likely to be dangerous to us than racoons. Or even grizzly bears.

Understandable. A human who preys on other humans is much more likely to be encountered and much more likely to be dangerous to us than racoons. Or even grizzly bears.
luckily, in my lifestyle, I don't encounter humans who prey on other humans
cougar, coyotes and raccoons where I live
which is why I never got a CCW
if I need to carry, it's a 686 in .357 in an Alaska chest holster
haven't tried .357 on raccoons - that's a thought

It's not like you're planning on eating the damn thing.

That would certainly make clean kills of either of the "problem critters" I have, the Racoon s or the damn wild dogs. If I get around to getting a can in 9mm one of my PPC's in that caliber would be grand for this. Not legal to shoot where I live but plenty safe in many places. If I could tone down the noise enough to not rattle the neighbors could EASILY make nice clean kills. Still hoping I can keep discouraging the dogs by offering easier meals. Found some rabbit feed at the place we buy our chicken feed that is very cheap. Damn bunnies around here act like its the best thing they have ever seen in their life and come running for it. So keep hoping those easy meals will keep the dog away from my stuff and so far seem to work. When the one was in my yard he completely ignored the hens place. Have a mated pair of some kind of smaller hawk here now too. Feed squirrels and daily toss some of their food in a large open area away from their favorite tree feeders. Wife asked me one day why? Told her that's for the Hawks. Gets some of them out in the open and an easy get. Couple times I spotted one of those birds giving the hens a good looking over but they are not going to be digging under the wire to get at them. Beautiful birds when I get to watch them hunting here.

I worked in Monroe, La. and they served raccoon down there is several restaurants
While back the local news showed a market here that sells them. Some kind of specialty place that caters to Asian food. They are inspected and legal to sell for food. Someone had seen them in the frozen section and called just sure it was not legal. Article said yes, they come from a supplier that makes them legal to sell. Pic was just whole Raccoons frozen in a clear bag. Would have to guess if they are farm raised they probably control their diet better to get the taste they want too??

I shot the raccoons with Buddy, my snubby 686. Since its my EDC and is within arms reach of my bed, its what I grabbed when I heard the ducks give their predator alarm calls at night. I prefer it to 9mm because a chest shot with a .357 mag on a coon kills it so fast it usually seems instantly, while a chest shot with a 9mm often leads to the animal threshing around for several seconds or running off to die elsewhere. .22 is even worse. The 9mm gets the job done, but with more pain to the animal and emotional agony to me watching it. One friend of mine had the same experience with shooting small predators such as coons with 9mm and switched to .45acp. He said even round nose .45 bullets kill the chest-shot coons in their tracks. Hollow points mostly don't open up on such small lightly built animals. I don't know about 40. Even a .22 will kill the animals instantly with a brain shot. But I cant hit a moving raccoon in the brain at night, even though most shots are only 20-30'. I have to go for the chest shot. I'm a biologist in part because I'm much more interested in watching and learning and understanding critters than killing them. Except for anything trying to harm me or mine, including my ducks. And except for an occasional deer, cause they are so easy and efficient to get, and if God didn't want me to hunt deer he wouldn't have made them so delicious. And except for the occasional rabbit back when I was a young broad taking long enough camping trips so that I would sometimes run outta food. At which point my fascination with watching the cute bunnies vanished and my attitude towards those delicious rabbit stews on-the-hoof became decidely predatory.

Last Edited:
I shot the raccoons with Buddy, my snubby 686. Since its my EDC and is within arms reach of my bed, its what I grabbed when I heard the ducks give their predator alarm calls at night. I prefer it to 9mm because a chest shot with a .35 mag on a coon kills it so fast it usually seems instantly, while a chest shot with a 9mm often leads to the animal threshing around for several seconds or running off to die elsewhere. .22 is even worse. The 9mm gets the job done, but with more pain to the animal and emotional agony to me watching it. One friend of mine had the same experience with shooting small predators such as coons with 9mm and switched to .45acp. He said even round nose .45 bullets kill the chest-shot coons in their tracks. Hollow points mostly don't open up on such small lightly built animals. I don't know about 40. Even a .22 will kill the animals instantly with a brain shot. But I cant hit a moving raccoon in the brain at night, even though most shots are only 20-30'. I have to go for the chest shot. I'm a biologist in part because I'm much more interested in watching and learning and understanding critters than killing them. Except for anything trying to harm me or mine, including my ducks. And except for an occasional deer, cause they are so easy and efficient to get, and if God didn't want me to hunt deer he wouldn't have made them so delicious. And except for the occasional rabbit back when I was a young broad taking long enough camping trips so that I would sometimes run outta food. At which point my fascination with watching the cute bunnies vanished and my attitude towards those delicious rabbit stews on-the-hoof became decidely predatory.
good posting
I experienced the same with hollow point on small game
3 rnds of .22 LR hollow point is what I've had to use on raccoons
as of tomorrow morning's coffee, I'll have the 5" 686 with 158 gn semi wad cutters - for small predators such as raccoons, JHP are a waste

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top