JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Besides the opinions of my buddies I'm also turning to different forums that I lurk in for opinions for a daily carry.

Right now the only handgun I have is an RIA 1911 Tactical .45ACP. I just got my CPL and now I'm looking for another handgun that can be used as a daily carry. So far I've narrowed it down to 4 guns: Taurus 740 Slim, SA XD40 subcompact, S&W M&P40c, and a Glock 27.

Of the 4 guns, I've recently handled and fired a few XD series guns and really like them. They feel and fire very good, and are accurate.

As for the Glock 27, I've only put that on my list to keep my options open. Of the Glocks I've handled in the past I didn't like the feel of the grip, but the big thing is a lack of a safety other than the trigger safety system. This is a concern for me because I've heard/read of an above average number of accidental discharges with Glocks...yes, I know a gun is only as safe as the shooter, but it's still a concern.

I have no experience with the S&W M&P40c or the Taurus 740 Slim. But I've heard and read nothing but good things about both.

Thanks in advanced...Vince

+1 Glock. You can get a Siderlock if you want a backup safety.
BTW Glocks don't accidentally discharge, users mis-handle them.

Out of those four guns I would have to say the Glock 27 is probably the best, but I am also a big fan of the XD subcompacts. You say the Glock did not fit as good, have you tried the subcompacts? They have a totally different feel for the compacts or full sized guns.

I used to carry a glock 19 great firearm, then bumped up to a heckler&koch usp fs 40 that I carry in a galco summer comfort and can't tell the difference as far as weight size and comfort go so I'd say +1 glock +1 galco +1 511 web belt

Pick a good holster and carry the 1911.

I lug around a full size USP45 in shorts and a T-shirt....and you'd never know.

Or, go small....Diamondback, Kahr, Kel Tec ect. pocket gun. Light, small, easily concealable.

I am no expert so this is only my opinion. I have practiced with many different weapons but for me I prefer to carry the Glock for the simple reason it is simple. Pull trigger, gun goes BANG. Glock will not go BANG until the trigger is pulled. Respect it for what it is. Get a good holster, real gun gun belt and carry is simple even with my G22 Gen 4. Oregon Firearms Academy has a Glock coarse so training is within a few hundred miles of you. Oregon Firearms Academy LLC - Glock Defensive Handgun
We are really in the Golden Age of weapons and there are lots of good choices so Good luck,
Mike

After many years of carrying a HK P7M10 on & off duty after I retired I purchased a M&P40c and have not regretted it one bit. It is reliable, accurate, fits my hand, and is easily concealed, and, (not that many shooters care)...it's made in the USA.

I own several Glocks the 27,30, and 33. They are great guns. That being said the carry gun I use is the M&P40c. My opinion is that picking up the M&P I don't have to tilt my wrist to get a level sight as I do with the glocks. Don't get me wrong I will never not have a glock, but the M&P's are above them in my preference. I don't have a safety on my M&P just like the glocks and no issues even in carry. I have also reduced the trigger pull and smoothed it out using the APEX kit. like said before in this post all guns are safe until the user isn't.

As always, carry what you love to shoot as you'll be more willing to practice and have more confidence. I've carried 1911, HK P30, SA XD and Glock. A few years back I standardized on the Glock platform in 9mm. They're interchangeable and all standard carry options and ammo. I got tired of managing multiple carry platforms (holsters, mag pouches, ammo, etc.) and simplified my life.

While I liked the feel of the XD (it fit my hand perfectly), I missed the Glock quality and interchangeability of the platform. I also loved the P30 fit, but didn't like the gun's profile. So I just took my Glocks and customized their grips. Now they fit me perfectly and I get everything I want.

EDC is one of two Glocks, usually, a spare mag on a Blackhawk! (I think...it might be a 5.11) belt with a 4" cold steel voyager clipped to the pocket.

EDC.jpg

IMG_7349.jpg

Yeah I had the G36,very nice 45.
I haven't shot the M&P but I have shot the XD. Now my son has shot glocks since he was a kid (step father's) and lots of other guns too.He bought the XD and his buddy bought the M&P.They both decided they like the M&P best.
I don't have a problem with the grips on glocks,but those who do seem to gravitate to your other 2 choices.
(I intentionally left the Taurus out)

Yeah I had the G36,very nice 45.
I haven't shot the M&P but I have shot the XD. Now my son has shot glocks since he was a kid (step father's) and lots of other guns too.He bought the XD and his buddy bought the M&P.They both decided they like the M&P best.
I don't have a problem with the grips on glocks,but those who do seem to gravitate to your other 2 choices.
(I intentionally left the Taurus out)
That shows have different tastes come into play. I just hate the grip on the M&P's. It is too blobbish for me.

All I can offer is my own preference. I got my first hand gun just 3 years ago, and cpl at the same time. I didn't start regularl carry until June of this year when I bought Ruger 1911, I love this gun, it fits well with an inside the pants leather belt holster and a 2" size larger waist pants/shorts. With a loose fitting t-shirt and an unbuttoned slightly larger collar shirt over that - you can not tell I'm carrying.

As always, carry what you love to shoot as you'll be more willing to practice and have more confidence. I've carried 1911, HK P30, SA XD and Glock. A few years back I standardized on the Glock platform in 9mm. They're interchangeable and all standard carry options and ammo. I got tired of managing multiple carry platforms (holsters, mag pouches, ammo, etc.) and simplified my life.

While I liked the feel of the XD (it fit my hand perfectly), I missed the Glock quality and interchangeability of the platform. I also loved the P30 fit, but didn't like the gun's profile. So I just took my Glocks and customized their grips. Now they fit me perfectly and I get everything I want.

EDC is one of two Glocks, usually, a spare mag on a Blackhawk! (I think...it might be a 5.11) belt with a 4" cold steel voyager clipped to the pocket.

Sorry for off topic question:
Jeff, What sights are on your Glocks in the pictures?
Thanks.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads