JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No employees within the system?
Interesting.
Must pass BGC
Must take a one day class for each session.
Your time and all used is free?
Helicopters are advantageous.

Last Edited:
Geeze, it was looking good past the 'fit sharpshooter' bit...but then came the 'supply own non-lead ammunition'...the final deal breaker....:s0110:

Last Edited:
Have a friend who volunteered for the goat removal last year. It was done with helicopters and nets and trucks. I figure they need them gone they could spot them for the shooters. Knowing the range they will be shooting at. And the hike to get there.

Anyone want to join a team with me? Need at least two others...
I have all the gear needed for prolly two people, plus GMRS and UHF radios.
I will need to up my conditioning, but I do not see that as an obstacle.
Please PM me if interested.

[edit to add] : the listing for the copper / non-lead bullets and ammunition is impressive. A good resource....

Last Edited:
15 miles w/ a 50# pack in that type of terrain, likely 'off trail' in the Olympics, perhaps multiple times, is not to be dismissed casually...there was a time where it would have been well within my capabilities...I'm not in terrible shape, but it would take some dedicated work for me to get back there. I wouldn't be surprised if they're pretty selective...the article in the paper had a bit where the NPS doesn't want this to turn into rescue missions for folks that get in over their heads.

Boss

So I'm going to "Volunteer", and have these people that can't take care of their own problem make sure I'm "qualified" to carry out their jobs? This just get's stranger every day. I am of the opinion that the current NPS / FS personnel are not the rough edged outdoorsmen of years past. I recall seeing old photographs of Park Service rangers when they put those goats in the Olympics. They packed them in by mule in specially built panniers in the days long before helicopters. How and where they caught them to transplant had to have been equally arduous.

Bill

Did two long hikes in the Olympics in my 20's with a 60# pack. Two interactions up close with the goats.

First hike with a brother and cousin was the Bailey Range traverse, north to south. We were near timberline and the trees were short. Short enough for the goats to chomp on our sweat soaked backpack straps before we could get out of sleeping bags and chase them off. Second time, the packs were under/next to our heads. A goat ate the crotch out of my cousins short pants that were laying on a rock. Fortunately, he had a spare. His griping was drowned out by our laughing.

We met a couple doing the traverse south to north; they'd only met one other party in the previous week. 2-3 days later we caught up with that group. But it was one guy and some kids, sitting next to the 'trail' above a steep grassy slope. One kid didn't cinched his sleeping bag straps tight, and it had dropped off and disappeared down slope. They were waiting for the other adult and kid to find it and hike back up. I told him we had met a couple going the other way that described their group as 'two adults and a bunch of retarded kids'. The guy laughed and said he and his friend took their church Junior High boys hiking in the Olympics each year, and 'yes, kids this age do act retarded.'

A few years later I did a week-long solo hike, doing a loop route out of Dosewallips: up the Gray Wolf drainage to Deer Park then over to Obstruction Point on High Divide trail, then over to the Cameron Basin over Grand Pass and Cameron Pass, and eventually back to my truck at the Dosewallips Ranger Station. High Divide trail reminded me of the "balds" in western North Carolina where you're just above the treeline with slopes to either side gently falling away into the haze. With the Pacific Ocean to the west, the Strait of Juan de Fuca to the north, Puget Sound to the east, and the rest of the Olympic Range to the south, it felt like I was standing on a hill at the top of the world, with the whole earth below my feet. It was so cool that I stayed there for awhile, until I could see hikers in the distance, just to soak in that feeling.

As a result, I ended up reaching Obstruction Point in the evening. As I looked around for a good camp spot, I noticed bear paw prints in the mud. Walked back to the trailhead and left my backpack in the portapotty before laying out my sleeping bag in the back of a hay-filled pickup. In the middle of the night, I woke to warm breath in my face. About ripped my sleeping bag in two with my bare hands, trying to get out to fight off a bear. But it was some elk that had picked up the scent of hay. The elk did take a step back with all my yelling and waited for me to clear out before moving back in for breakfast. I had so much adrenaline flowing there was no point trying to get back to sleep, so I packed up and head up the trail to Cameron Basin in the dark. Good times.

2M.jpg 2Q.jpg 3D.jpg 3I.jpg

Last Edited:
So I'm going to "Volunteer", and have these people that can't take care of their own problem make sure I'm "qualified" to carry out their jobs? This just get's stranger every day. I am of the opinion that the current NPS / FS personnel are not the rough edged outdoorsmen of years past. I recall seeing old photographs of Park Service rangers when they put those goats in the Olympics. They packed them in by mule in specially built panniers in the days long before helicopters. How and where they caught them to transplant had to have been equally arduous.

Bill

Well it's pretty obvious that this project to remove the offending goats is out of funds, typical of Washington states mismanagement.:s0141:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top