JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There are simply something's that aren't sold in retail stores that I will use my credit card for. I'm not too concerned with this. I have NFA items, CHL, and multiple FFL transfers, so I'm already on a list/watched.
Well good to know your only concerned for yourself, damn everyone else because I already leaped off that bridge long ago...
Okay, awesome. Perfectly logical!

I'm not concerned about it either, but its still just as phuq'd regardless.

That's kinda the entire idea of rights is preserving them for others down the road. IE not yourself.

I have long had a hard time understanding this. EVERYTHING you buy with plastic is tracked. That info is worth money because its sold. Did anyone really believe that the stuff they order on line the info just goes "poof" and is gone? :confused:

I have long had a hard time understanding this. EVERYTHING you buy with plastic is tracked. That info is worth money because its sold. Did anyone really believe that the stuff they order on line the info just goes "poof" and is gone? :confused:
Not at all. I think the main concern for me is the very specific product targetting and the fact that they have already started the campaign to push some type of oversight on those purchases. Encouraging CC companies to flag and report those purchases much the same as they do for suspected fraud or other illegal activity.

Benching my firearm related purchases in with suspectedl illegal CC activity is a foreshadowing of the direction they eventually want to go, IMHO.

It's no secret they have no problem trying to turn law abiding citizens into criminals so there is no doubt, in my mind, that micro CC tracking may be likely to come back and bite us in the future.

Why do it if there isn't a plan to somehow use it for more control or supression of our rights?

Not at all. I think the main concern for me is the very specific product targetting and the fact that they have already started the campaign to push some type of oversight on those purchases. Encouraging CC companies to flag and report those purchases much the same as they do for suspected fraud or other illegal activity.

Benching my firearm related purchases in with suspectedl illegal CC activity is a foreshadowing of the direction they eventually want to go, IMHO.

It's no secret they have no problem trying to turn law abiding citizens into criminals so there is no doubt, in my mind, that micro CC tracking may be likely to come back and bite us in the future.

Why do it if there isn't a plan to somehow use it for more control or supression of our rights?
Dude ALL that info is stored now. It has been for a long time. For me its a huge WTFC? If someone was buying ammo buy the semi load I guess they may get some attention. Many seem to not be able to understand how many millions of customers there are here. The Feds are not going to show up at you door because you buy ammo by the case. Guns? Really? How many hoops do we have to go through to legally buy a gun? People think the part of paying for it with plastic is the problem??? ALL that info is already there if they want it. If someone is really this scared? I guess do NOT use plastic. Walk into a shop and get them to order the ammo you want, pay them cash. To me this is a bunch of nothing.
Now if some "woke" banks want to go all woke and say you can't use them? LOL, that would be great. Someone else will step up and be glad to take the money.

Dude ALL that info is stored now. It has been for a long time. For me its a huge WTFC? If someone was buying ammo buy the semi load I guess they may get some attention. Many seem to not be able to understand how many millions of customers there are here. The Feds are not going to show up at you door because you buy ammo by the case. Guns? Really? How many hoops do we have to go through to legally buy a gun? People think the part of paying for it with plastic is the problem??? ALL that info is already there if they want it. If someone is really this scared? I guess do NOT use plastic. Walk into a shop and get them to order the ammo you want, pay them cash. To me this is a bunch of nothing.
Now if some "woke" banks want to go all woke and say you can't use them? LOL, that would be great. Someone else will step up and be glad to take the money.
I'm aware of that. Personally though I see a distinction between my CC company storing all my purchase history that "may" be accessed for cause vs. pre-emptively reporting my firearm and ammo purchases as potential suspicious activity to a gooberment agency database for scrutiny. They aren't doing that yet, but that seems to be the direction the crats are trying to go with it.

Personally, it won't really change my spending habits. The principle of it bothers me, but ANY type of new gooberment shift into my personal business bothers me. It's not concerning enough to go all cash though. The hassle, the time, not having access to a wide array of products and taking a substantial financial hit for your troubles isn't justified... to me.

I still think it's discriminatory though.

That's only true if you don't pay off your card in full every cycle. I've never paid a single percentage point to any card company. You can actually save money using cards with their cash back rewards.

I get it though. I was always a cash only person until later in life. I put it off as long as possible, but the cost of "not" using cards get's very difficult to ignore. When you can purchase online at prices at or below what you can locally, you're receiving an additional 2-5% in cash back on every purchase to boot, you don't have the wear and tear and fuel costs of your vehicle, and the convenience... it's a hard sell not to.

Some things still don't make sense though for anywhere that charges a surcharge for using cards while offerining a lower price for cash. Like fuel.

Using cash can also be problematic. I dunno how many times I've been places that can barely even break a $20 bill. Some places won't even let you use a 50 or a 100. Supposedly out of fear of counterfeiting, but that makes no sense if I'm buying something close to $200 and giving them two 100's vs. ten 20's. 20's can be counterfeited too.

The older I get, the more things I find that simply don't make any kind of common sense. It must be ME.🤣

Tracking guns and/or ammo transactions and possible red flagging for suspicious activity being one of them. That's just some power crazy control BS.

I wonder if doing gift cards would be a practical workaround(?) Or something similar. Something to look into, maybe.

"The Sloan School of Management at MIT looked into how the brain reacts to a credit card purchase. They created a study using fMRI technology to look at brain activity at the moment of purchase, when consumers make the "buy" decision either using cash or credit cards. They looked at the reward region of the brain and found that credit cards sensitize reward notions in the brain. The outcome is that simply swiping a card provides immediate pleasure in the form of the products bought, and where prices are only realized in a bill received weeks later."

It's proven that you spend more with credit than cash or a debit card. Because your using somebody else's money and then paying it back later. Regardless if you carry a balance month-to-month.

My debit card will do everything your credit card does.

I'm not stupid enough to believe that little old me can out smart company's that literally spend billions of dollars every year studying peoples behavior and then spending more billions of dollars advertising directed at that behavior. For 2-5% "cash back". It's all a gimmick so that the "little man" can pay for all their fancy Furniture, high-rise buildings and beefy salaries. No thank you

Go woke, go broke

Yeah look up plaid and the lawsuit they lost over selling your CC purchase info, there is an entire shadow business based off of it. And unlike the CC co. contract/documents you sign they have nothing at all. Hardly anyone even knows they exist.
They were sued because they are selling your info, no one knows they exist & there was no contracts.

And yeah you are correct they tracked your purchases LONG before this recent news came out. Not just guns but all of it. Aggregated of course which makes it SOO much better. :rolleyes:

It's proven that you spend more with credit than cash or a debit card. Because your using somebody else's money and then paying it back later. Regardless if you carry a balance month-to-month.

I'm not stupid enough to believe that little old me can out smart company's that literally spend billions of dollars every year studying peoples behavior and then spending more billions of dollars advertising directed at that behavior. For 2-5% "cash back". It's all a gimmick so that the "little man" can pay for all their fancy Furniture, high-rise buildings and beefy salaries. No thank you
CC's are of course aimed at the HUGE part of the market that does not pay them off. When the Feds were making money available at almost 0% banks were making how much on CC? I have a couple debit cards in the safe. Just do not use them as I do not want people to have access to my account. If someone does take you the bank will put it back. May take a while. With CC's if one is used its just a matter of telling them and its done. Not to mention they pay me to use them. Now I am one of the few who can do this though. Most can not

Meh.... That may be true for many, just like many spend beyond their means and carry balances, but that doesn't mean you have to or that it somehow magically short circuits a persons self control.

If the articles are true for all then your debit card is no different than a credit card (both are plastic and intangible) and you're spending more by using it too.

I don't put anything on a card beyond the cash I have in the bank to back it and within the buget limits I set for myself. Cash or plastic makes no difference on my spending whatsoever.

I agree... it's easy to fall into the CC trap. Too many people are into instant gratification and "wanting" beyond their means. An ounce of self control goes a long ways.

Yeah look up plaid and the lawsuit they lost over selling your CC purchase info, there is an entire shadow business based off of it. And unlike the CC co. contract/documents you sign they have nothing at all. Hardly anyone even knows they exist.
They were sued because they are selling your info, no one knows they exist & there was no contracts.

And yeah you are correct they tracked your purchases LONG before this recent news came out. Not just guns but all of it. Aggregated of course which makes it SOO much better. :rolleyes:
Who actually reads those pages of terms for stuff like this? I know I never have. When it says click here to agree. Sure its in there somewhere that they are going to sell the info. Again to me? Could care less. If they want to sell that info to people who advertise let them. We shop the crap out of Amazon. Between us and the Co they are here daily. They track everything I buy. Had come in handy to me a few times when I wanted to get another of something I had bought years ago. I can search and they will show me what brand it was and even what I paid for it years ago.

Because the way AI and machine learning is these days, the faster you collect the info the more it will have to scour once collected. It wouldn't take AI long at all to cough up all the owners names once unleashed. They all know it. Oh and BTW... Like many have pointed the security standard banks and ATM's use is quite old and outdated at this point. I'm positive 100% of ALL traffic goes through that one new MASSIVE building way out in UTAH (you know the one..) The one watching me type in this message real time and keeping track of all my keystrokes real time. Its 1000% illegal but they do it anyway because: prove it, even though someone already did!

But I'm sure I'm just 9 layers deep into a gold plated tin foil hat.. :s0161::s0156:

All of the "protections" provided by credit are the same as the "protections" a debit card provides. Cash is king. You spend more with credit. Why use other people's money? If you don't have it, don't buy it.

Live below your means, invest steadily, become a millionaire in 15-18 years 😉
From personal experience I can tell you that having fraud charges occur on debit card is much more disruptive than having them occur on a credit card account. My credit union took 10 business days to reverse fraud charges in my checking account. Luckily the fraudsters didn't clean out my checking acct and I was able to get by. The credit union then took another 2 months to settle the dispute and I had to make sure to hang on to that amount of funds during the 60 days in case the credit union ruled against me.

I would advise if you are going to use a debit card for online purchases to have a separate acct that can not access your regular accts and only fund it with funds each time you use it for an online purchase.

I would advise if you are going to use a debit card for online purchases to have a separate acct that can not access your regular accts and only fund it with funds each time you use it for an online purchase.
Yes, exactly. I have a checking, a savings, and a emergency fund. Checking has the current months expenses. Emergency fund has 5 months expenses. Savings has, well savings. I also keep one months expenses in cash at home.

From personal experience I can tell you that having fraud charges occur on debit card is much more disruptive than having them occur on a credit card account. My credit union took 10 business days to reverse fraud charges in my checking account. Luckily the fraudsters didn't clean out my checking acct and I was able to get by. The credit union then took another 2 months to settle the dispute and I had to make sure to hang on to that amount of funds during the 60 days in case the credit union ruled against me.

Banks started offering to "make you whole" on debit cards a while back ONLY because they were worried about law makers. So they can drag their feet all they want. Its why I will not allow anything to have access to my accounts. Auto bill pay, anything. A couple times someone did get one of my CC's and they just sent me a new one and reversed the charges. Again though I am one of the few who can control myself. Most of the people who do not want a CC its because they can not control themselves with one. For them it probably is not a good idea to have one. It is one hell of a money maker for the banks. A guy I used to work with bought a decent used car one time with his CC. When he told me the first thing I said is why the hell did you do that? :confused:
He said he tried to get financing and got shot down the first time. If he tried a few more surely someone would have financed it at better rates than the damn card. They must have made a killing off him paying off that car monthly for years

spend the extra 10 minutes to go to your bank and pull the cash. If you're using a credit card because you're buying toys with money you don't have then you shouldn't be spending that money anyway.

It might take a bit of time for that new CC Merchant Category Code to be put in place across the CC companies and vendors.

However, if you do need to stock up on ammo I suggest using ammoseek.com and giddy up...
For anyone who really is "scared" of this find an FFL local you like. Surely they would order in cases of ammo for you and let you pay them cash. Surely some would be wiling to do it for not much fee since its quick cash for them

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top