JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
And from a business side I completely understand that. It's something the legislators didn't think about when they passed mandatory background checks in Oregon. Its either pay more or go to jail.
They didn't think about it cause they don't care. They want there to be as many hurdles as possible to own a firearm. Laws won't stop people from buying a selling.

Just was wondering what other FFL's are charging for a BGC / Transfer fee for a private sale.
I am asking 'cause I recently did a trade ( straight across ) and the dealer that I used ( closest one to my home ) charged $50 for the transfer.

I paid...'cause I really like the rifle...but $50 seems a bit excessive.
I understand that I am taking up the store's time / clerk's attention...and the store needs to pay for lights , heat , inventory , etc...
But damn...$50 seems a lot for what little was done.

In any case , Just wondering if $50 was actually a good or "normal " price for this service.

Please note that I am not in favor for BGC's for private sales...I voted against it.
Andy
I use America's Pawn in Vancouver.
$20.
Best,
Gary

They didn't think about it cause they don't care. They want there to be as many hurdles as possible to own a firearm. Laws won't stop people from buying a selling.
It wont stop them but you are threatening to lock people up over it. Not to mention indoctrinating the next generation of Oregon gun owners.

Also, lots of online tools for finding local FFLs and it lists their prices and contact info. I found a close private FFL who had very low rates and must used the messaging tool to reach out and ask if I could do a transfer.

Well like I said...
I won't do another transfer there.

As far as the BGC law for private transactions stopping buying and selling...
It won't stop illegal buying and selling....
And it will make more folks so called criminals 'cause they won't pay an exorbitant amount in transfer fees , just to do a sale or trade...
So they will just buy , sell and trade without going through a FFL.

This gun shop , unfortunately , is the only game in town , so to speak.
So I will buy ammo from them....but not another gun , as I will not use them for private party transfers.
Andy

Well like I said...
I won't do another transfer there.

As far as the BGC law for private transactions stopping buying and selling...
It won't stop illegal buying and selling....
And it will make more folks so called criminals 'cause they won't pay an exorbitant amount in transfer fees , just to do a sale or trade...
So they will just buy , sell and trade without going through a FFL.

This gun shop , unfortunately , is the only game in town , so to speak.
So I will buy ammo from them....but not another gun , as I will not use them for private party transfers.
Andy
Andy, meet @Joxos33. Reach out to him for any further FFL needs. He's also on Camano Island. Won't find lower rates and a better guy to work with.

I've bought firearms from an FFL that deals in estate sales, all because he doesn't charge a background fee. He covers the $10.00 OSP fee.
In fact, I've bought guns from him that I really didn't need or was really looking for, just because of that and his super low prices, plus the ammo he throws in the deal for free.

Some shops do the "standard" $25 transfer fees, but others around in my locale turn it into a gravy train of service fees aka charge out the hoo hah. I once did a form 3 and a form 4, so the one place I did those NFA transfers, charged me $200 for the form 3, which is exorbitantly expensive considering I'm also paying the standard $200 transfer tax to the feds. Other shops I've dealt with only charges $50 for form 3s.

Think of it like this:
The profit margin on gasoline at your local AM/PM, or 7/11 or whatever is slim. Those shops make their money on everything else in the store. The only gas stations where the shop is just a cashier kiosk are part of a Safeway or Cosco or similar (or commercial).

Transfers should be inexpensive because they are the draw for your shop where all of the stuff that has the markup is. I know that the markup on most firearms are also pretty slim, but for every transfer that is done, and firearm sold, all of the other shooting stuff on the floor are now things that customers will need, right there in hand. No need to go online and wait for it to show up. They can have it now.

Having the means to carry out is not an empty threat. When an unjust law is on the books it only takes, they really wanting to get you. Remember, they didn't get Al Capone for murder, they got him for tax evasion.
You show me where the cops are….. Who have the time to enforce laws…. Plus I would also have to give them a reason to look at me (reasonable suspicion/probable cause). I'm not a "criminal" so I'm not stressed about it.

Edit - To be clear I think you should do things legally if possible. Hence the reason I've paid for multiple tax stamps and private party transfers. I do my best to be "legal." I would be curious to see how many people have been charged and prosecuted for selling a private firearm without going through a FFL after the law was passed. My guess is the number is very minimal if any at all.

Last Edited:
You show me where the cops are….. Who have the time to enforce laws…. Plus I would also have to give them a reason to look at me (reasonable suspicion/probable cause). I'm not a "criminal" so I'm not stressed about it.

Edit - To be clear I think you should do things legally if possible. Hence the reason I've paid for multiple tax stamps and private party transfers. I do my best to be "legal." I would be curious to see how many people have been charged and prosecuted for selling a private firearm without going through a FFL after the law was passed. My guess is the number is very minimal if any at all.
Im not disagreeing with you. Im just saying a crooked prosecutor may get you for this. Leaving you to rot in a cell while its sorted out in court. Even if you win they took time you cant have back.

And im with you, sometimes unjust laws should not be followed, or at the least resisted at all costs

Im not disagreeing with you. Im just saying a crooked prosecutor may get you for this. Leaving you to rot in a cell while its sorted out in court. Even if you win they took time you cant have back.
Agreed. You would have to do something involving the gun that would warrant an arrest. At which point having a gun that one bought privately (without FFL) is going to be the last of your worries.

Although if someone is carrying a gun that was purchased "illegally" I would say that is pretty foolish.

This is what I get for getting a modern gun...modern here by the way is a rifle that was made between 1937 and 1939...:D
Andy
It may be a tough find, but one of these would be stellar on it:

Then again, I'm a sucker for vintage glass.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top