JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Sadly, naive people will ALWAYS fall for media-driven panics. They've also watched too many movies. The people who make up the press in the United States, including all local news, are despicable human beings who lie for a living and are only interested in scaring others enough to keep eyeballs on their advertisements or frightening them to vote a certain way. Instead of wearing a mask, hoarding groceries, and freaking out, maybe just try turning the news off and going about your business.
You wouldn't say that if u had talked to the people in China like I have. Their "media" is quite the opposite of ours. Most people I've talked to say the government figures for infections and death are about 1/20 of actual. I agree about not panicking and also about not buying into media sensationalism but there are simple precautions we can do that greatly eliminates our risk, especially limiting exposure.

So it's here and as close as Lake Oswego, maybe even closer, there's really no way to know. Perhaps it's time to hunker down, get the blood in the doorposts and let this plague pass by...

Common sense simple things should help to avoid it. It can't be contracted through the skin, so you have to keep it away from you eyes, nose, and mouth.

Avoid crowds so you don't get sneezed on, etc. If you have the option to telecommute then do that.

Restaurants and especially fast food? Nosiree for now. That even means that Roakes Coney you have been fantasizing about.

Do your grocery shopping at odd hours when there are fewer people. Most WinCo's are open 24 hours.

Wear latex or nitrile gloves at the store. Put them on before you touch the cart and take them off before you touch your door knob when you get home, than wash thoroughly. The danger is that even though the virus can't infect through your skin that people unknowingly touch their faces frequently. The gloves will remind you not to do that, and thorough washing and drying will kill/remove any virus you somehow picked up.

I wouldn't buy any produce that doesn't come wrapped until this is over. Who knows who handled what or sneezed on it? Exceptions would be things you can peal like potatoes or onion (as root not green) and things you know you will cook long enough to kill a virus. Not the time for steak tar tar...

IF/when this hits the schools then all bets are off. Might be time at that point to break out the N99/N95 masks and wraparound safety glasses when you go out.

You wouldn't say that if u had talked to the people in China like I have. Their "media" is quite the opposite of ours. Most people I've talked to say the government figures for infections and death are about 1/20 of actual. I agree about not panicking and also about not buying into media sensationalism but there are simple precautions we can do that greatly eliminates our risk, especially limiting exposure.

Yup, this is for real
1583006557483.png

Sadly, naive people will ALWAYS fall for media-driven panics. They've also watched too many movies. The people who make up the press in the United States, including all local news, are despicable human beings who lie for a living and are only interested in scaring others enough to keep eyeballs on their advertisements or frightening them to vote a certain way. Instead of wearing a mask, hoarding groceries, and freaking out, maybe just try turning the news off and going about your business.
I don't think I'll be turning off the news. I'm totally fascinated by what's going on. These events are unprecedented in my lifetime and I'm finding the whole thing extremely interesting.

Staying informed is one good way to avoid panic. Staying ignorant, getting caught by surprise, that's a good way to panic.

I often wonder if those who accuse others of naivete and panic aren't just trying to ease their own insecurity.

going to cost co in just a bit. I'll report back if I notice any panic buying empty shelves. Have the house pretty stocked for a couple
Months. Getting a second location stocked in case we need to leave in a hurry.

Also can anyone recommend a good water filter I could pick up at Sportsmans warehouse? Going to pass by there on the way to cost co. The second location has a pond that's fed from a spring. We have a couple Britta pitches but I don't know if there rates for that kinda stuff.

I have a work laptop so if CV pandemic breaks out I can work from home. Since I live where in a state where the Cascadia Subduction zone is and have earthquake kits and rations so I can shelter in my home if I get a call to not go into the office. I know management is discussing the fact but since I am a contractor I am left out of the loop.

I went to Costco this morning. I've never seen it that busy, and there was a polite but uneasy vibe in the air.

Someone mentioned there was a death in Kirkland. In addition, an infected teen went to high school.

The spread is starting here.

going to cost co in just a bit. I'll report back if I notice any panic buying empty shelves. Have the house pretty stocked for a couple
Months. Getting a second location stocked in case we need to leave in a hurry.

Also can anyone recommend a good water filter I could pick up at Sportsmans warehouse? Going to pass by there on the way to cost co. The second location has a pond that's fed from a spring. We have a couple Britta pitches but I don't know if there rates for that kinda stuff.

Costco in Tigard was crazy this morning. We ended up leaving without buying anything just to get away. Water & TP was almost gone at 10am. I would wait until next week and go then.

We have enough food, water and TP to last for now, so I won't get in the middle of that zoo!

I guess people are panic buying, but they had to wait until the weekend.:s0092:

I don't think I'll be turning off the news. I'm totally fascinated by what's going on. These events are unprecedented in my lifetime and I'm finding the whole thing extremely interesting.

Staying informed is one good way to avoid panic. Staying ignorant, getting caught by surprise, that's a good way to panic.

I often wonder if those who accuse others of naivete and panic aren't just trying to ease their own insecurity.

Good luck with that..

It's a free country, and you can believe the sky is purple for all I care. But watching television makes you more ignorant, not less. You just can't see how you're being manipulated yet. But hey, buyer beware, right? In a month or two, when all this virus talk has gone away, there will be a new sky-is-falling-we're-all-going-to-die narrative that you'll be watching. Heck, a couple of months ago we were all supposed die in WW3 with Iran. I choose not to play that game. Life is too short. Good luck to you.

I went to Costco this morning. I've never seen it that busy, and there was a polite but uneasy vibe in the air.

Someone mentioned there was a death in Kirkland. In addition, an infected teen went to high school.

The spread is starting here.
I say that every time I go to Costco. Costco was always crowded even during the depths of the 2008 recession. You have to get there right at early opening to avoid the big crowds.

Common sense simple things should help to avoid it. It can't be contracted through the skin, so you have to keep it away from you eyes, nose, and mouth.

Avoid crowds so you don't get sneezed on, etc. If you have the option to telecommute then do that.

Restaurants and especially fast food? Nosiree for now. That even means that Roakes Coney you have been fantasizing about.

Do your grocery shopping at odd hours when there are fewer people. Most WinCo's are open 24 hours.

Wear latex or nitrile gloves at the store. Put them on before you touch the cart and take them off before you touch your door knob when you get home, than wash thoroughly. The danger is that even though the virus can't infect through your skin that people unknowingly touch their faces frequently. The gloves will remind you not to do that, and thorough washing and drying will kill/remove any virus you somehow picked up.

I wouldn't buy any produce that doesn't come wrapped until this is over. Who knows who handled what or sneezed on it? Exceptions would be things you can peal like potatoes or onion (as root not green) and things you know you will cook long enough to kill a virus. Not the time for steak tar tar...

IF/when this hits the schools then all bets are off. Might be time at that point to break out the N99/N95 masks and wraparound safety glasses when you go out.
I would add, all shoes now must live outside.
We have a rack outside the door and a sprayer with a 2 Tablespoon bleach per quart of water solution. All shoes get sprayed down good, and left to air dry on the rack.

I say that every time I go to Costco. Costco was always crowded even during the depths of the 2008 recession. You have to get there right at early opening to avoid the big crowds.

No, today was special. Worse than black Friday. People are starting to panic.

Good luck with that..

It's a free country, and you can believe the sky is purple for all I care. But watching television makes you more ignorant, not less. You just can't see how you're being manipulated yet. But hey, buyer beware, right? In a month or two, when all this virus talk has gone away, there will be a new sky-is-falling-we're-all-going-to-die narrative that you'll be watching. Heck, a couple of months ago we were all supposed die in WW3 with Iran. I choose not to play that game. Life is too short. Good luck to you.
Maybe the panic buying will help boost this quarters numbers for retailers.

Good luck with that..

I too am shocked Iran hasn't destroy us all yet according to CNN... :p

I was in Africa half a year, so having deadly diseases (much deadlier than Coronavirus)was kind of normal life for me. Things just feel like they are getting back to normal.

Nice to know the CDC is just 3 hours away from me, in case I need a place to flee after the bodies starting dropping en masse from the pandemic.

My Costco stock thanks everyone that was there this morning!

The recent hits the stock market took are going to be temporary. I think this is serious, but there is also a lot of overreaction. IMO this is the time to buy. Worst case scenario is that it speeds up the return of manufacturing from Asia to the US so it takes a bit longer.

I think panic buying means grabbing far more than you may need. We grabbed a bit more than usual on the essentials today from Costco. Every where else seemed fine.

Overly cautious buying maybe, not panic yet.

I think u are right on the money there. FYI one thing folks from China said was the worst spreader of the disease was public toilets. Some of that is probably due to "community toilets" for some residences, but not all of it. So that is one place to limit exposure or at least be careful of.

We made a list last night of all exposures we run into in daily routine and assigned a risk factor to each of them (fe restaurants). Then we assigned how much "inconvenience", or negative impact, it would have for each of we eliminated those exposures. Surprisingly it was really easy to eliminate almost all the top risk exposures. Some things like school or work can't be eliminated for some though. But at least being aware of where the risks are let's u fairly easily eliminate tons of exposure risk by simply changing your normal routine and being inconvenienced a bit for while.

Status

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads