JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Welp, just got laid off from my 'normal' job :(

Anyone have an open remote position for someone who knows a thing or two about computers?
So sorry to hear Joe... Our family software biz is really struggling... We are in dental software biz and all the dental offices are closed because of the disease. I was already struggling and looking to go into a new career, anyhow. You sure have made one of the best gun forums on the internet. That is a pretty nice thing on a resume. I am looking into getting into DevOps field and getting out of mainstream development.. Have you ever thought about? It's a profession geared as somewhat towards those who intermix between development and system administration and operations.

Joe, if you got some Linux or Cloud knowledge you certainly can make yourself marketable. Have you been hosting this site on AWS or Azure servers as of late?

It's going to be a rough economy and tough job market once we are done with this whole pandemic ordeal. We cannot just be banking on stimulus checks.

"I'm 45. I'm very healthy. I exercise every day. I didn't fit any of the risk categories as somebody who would get hit so hard by this. I think it just goes to show how unpredictable this virus is, how little we know about it and it really can happen to anyone," McAdams said. "This is serious and not something to play with."

"President Trump on Friday issued an executive order authorizing the Pentagon to call up as many as 1 million armed forces reservists to active duty to help deal with the coronavirus outbreak.

The president's order said the Pentagon and the Department of Homeland security are authorized to order to active duty, "not to exceed 24 consecutive months," units and individual members of the Ready Reserve up to 1 million at one time as necessary."

"President Trump on Friday issued an executive order authorizing the Pentagon to call up as many as 1 million armed forces reservists to active duty to help deal with the coronavirus outbreak.

The president's order said the Pentagon and the Department of Homeland security are authorized to order to active duty, "not to exceed 24 consecutive months," units and individual members of the Ready Reserve up to 1 million at one time as necessary."

According to the CDC in the 6 months so far this flu season, between 24,000 and 62,000 people have died from the normal flu in the USA.

In the 2+ months since CV was first detected in the USA, 3,170 people have died of CV.

Who thinks what we are doing is reasonable? Who thinks we need 1,000,000 military members to help with CV?

Baaaaaaaa! Baaaaaaa!
:D

According to the CDC in the 6 months so far this flu season, between 24,000 and 62,000 people have died from the normal flu in the USA.

In the 2+ months since CV was first detected in the USA, 3,170 people have died of CV.

Who thinks what we are doing is reasonable? Who thinks we need 1,000,000 military members to help with CV?

Baaaaaaaa! Baaaaaaa!
While I agree with your assessment about .Gov overreach, keep in mind we are still at the beginning of this. Cases and deaths are going to seriously ramp up very quickly. I expect in 2 weeks to see daily deaths numbering over 1k.

You can't assume this will spread and kill at a linear rate, or the same rate as influenza, and 6 months in we will be at 9k deaths, simply because 2 months in we're at 3k.

Also - we're not 2 months into community spread. 2 months ago we had like 1 case in Everett from a traveler back from Wuhan. We're a little over 1 month in from the first case of community spread.

Welp, just got laid off from my 'normal' job :(

Anyone have an open remote position for someone who knows a thing or two about computers?

Search on indeed.com and also put your resume on there. I don't put my street address on internet resumes.

Check out the Oregon unemployment office website - they list jobs online.

Then, try websites for companies that might have a need for what you do.

Good luck!

ETA: Be cautious if someone calls and is interested in you for a job, but wants too much sensitive personal ID like SS#, physical address, etc - lot of scammers now days. I tell 'em they can have that after I've accepted a job offer.

Last Edited:
viral.JPG

"Economists at the Fed's St. Louis district project total employment reductions of 47 million, which would translate to a 32.1% unemployment rate, according to a recent analysis of how bad things could get."

1) Again, with a spread of 24k - 62k it's obvious nobody knows the actual death toll for the flu, that's a garbage statistic.

2) Nobody was running out of ventilators with the regular flu -- we seem to have an adequate supply to handle flu illnesses and other illnesses.

3) With the flu, one person infects 1.3 other people on average, and they infect 1.3, etc. etc. If you repeat this ten times you have about 14 infections. With CV-19, one person typically infects 3 people (now 4), then each of those infect 3 (now 13), etc. etc. 3 multiplied by itself ten times is 59,049 infections, a mere 59,036 more than the regular flu after ten iterations. If the process repeats 21 times, that's more people than exist on earth: 10,460,353,203. If it is fatal only 1% of the time, that's 104M deaths.

4) People who aren't infected by CV-19 are going to die and they won't be listed in the death toll -- people who otherwise would have received adequate care for routine but serious if untreated issues by hospitals being overwhelmed with CV-19 patients, or understaffed because of dead or sick medical personnel.

Last Edited:
The CARES Act penned by McConnell is just proof of how BADLY our government bungled this.

It literally INCENTIVIZES layoffs with expanded unemployment insurance.

In Canada and the UK, the government is directly subsidizing payroll, so companies are incentivized to keep employees ON PAYROLL. The US is offering "forgivable" SBA loans to cover payroll, but that is going to require too many hoops for the average business to jump through (and large businesses don't qualify).

If you're one of the tens of millions laid off under government stay at home orders, ask why McConnell forced millions onto unemployment.

Status

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR