Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Cool New Thing Everyone is doing... or at least I am

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by Iansstud, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Iansstud

Iansstud SW WA / PDX Member

so the other day I was browzin the interweb... and came by here... I was instantly turned on to this Idea after spending alot of time trying to find a stove on ebay... I wanted something that I could cook food/ boil water with out a ton of smoke/Fire.

I tried it, and It works GREAT!!! you should try it!!!

here is are more ideas/ designs
    and here

Word to the wise...... DO NOT USE WHITE GAS!! (my 1st one melted) dont use Iso Alc. only use "marine fuel alcohol" or denatured alcohol.. just a side note

2. aflineman

aflineman Both South of Eugene and East of Portland. Active Member

I use HEET in mine. The yellow bottles that you pour into your gas tank to dry it and your fuel lines out.

3. chase

chase Wilsonville, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Yeah that design has been around for a while. Its a great option for ultra light hikers and backpackers. Its cheap and you cant beat the weight.

4. Andy

Andy Aurora, OR Active Member

A friend of mine and I brought a full can (or 24) of beer with us camping and a while back and made a project out of it with our leathermans. If I remember correctly you need two cans per stove.

Anyway, it worked great.

Someone came out with a commercial titanium version too:

5. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

Subscribed.

Cool idea. I like the titanium one also.

Silly question, btu what kind of booze will work if there isn't any Iso Alc around?

I mean common booze like whiskey, Vodka, or Rum, not Everclear.

6. Iansstud

Iansstud SW WA / PDX Member

dont use Iso alcohol, however everclear, and bacardi 151 will work the higher the % the better, the lower the % the more water/ other stuff, but denatured alcohol works best for the $$$$$$$$

just buy/bring a quart of denatured alcohol with you and you should be set for a while!!! I pour like 1.5oz in my burner and it goes for about 15-20min or more, and can boil a quart of water in a few min.

I would also recoment a wind shield.

7. durango#95

durango#95 Medford New Member

Thanks! I would have never known about these w/o this thread:thumbup:
    I'm off to cut up a can now:)

8. littlecars

littlecars tacoma wa Member

this is cool. I have never sean one of these before. I am going to biuld one tonight

9. treemanx

treemanx Spray, Or. Active Member

Thanks, very neat idea!

10. greenLED

greenLED Beaver Nation expat Member

Just a couple of mine:

img4257.jpg

I'm particularly fond of the one on the right; I used no epoxy or other sealant for that one.

On the store-bought front, I also have a Triangia one - really nice. I had a collapsible titanium one (forget the brand) but it was poorly assembled; the legs were welded on crooked, so anything you put on top of it would be crooked as well. I checked the store and all of them looked the same. No thanks, I'll stick to my home-made ones.