JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
eriknemily --

Oh, and if my old memory is correct, I recall that the original situation that caused this was they originally discovered him carrying a knife, and then found that he had a rifle in his vehicle. I don't think he was carrying a firearm concealed. But I could be 100% wrong on that...I just can't remember.

"Campus police arrested Maxwell, a 30-year-old junior, Jan. 28 after someone reported seeing a knife in his pocket. Maxwell was cooperative when authorities detained him. When they asked if he had any other weapons, he politely informed them he had a loaded two-shot .22 caliber Derringer and pocket knives in his possession. He also said he carried a rifle in his truck."

You might want to start a new thread, this one's discussing Oregon law.

In Oregon, any private institute can set its own policy, whether it calls itself a "college" or "university." (There is no legal distinction between the two types of institution.)

This is really misleading. There's so much more to it than that. People should develop some expertise in areas that involve complexity and subtlety before just winging it and offering free advice. There's nothing more dangerous in the law than a law student (except for Trlsmn, who is worse, because he has no training at all and still spouts off ;))

This is really misleading. There's so much more to it than that. People should develop some expertise in areas that involve complexity and subtlety before just winging it and offering free advice. There's nothing more dangerous in the law than a law student (except for Trlsmn, who is worse, because he has no training at all and still spouts off ;))

You are correct, according to Oregon law, the only institution that can regulate carry in public places is the Oregon legislature. But whether or not a university/college is a legally considered a public place is one of the key factors.

You are correct, according to Oregon law, the only institution that can regulate carry in public places is the Oregon legislature. But whether or not a university/college is a legally considered a public place is one of the key factors.

No, the question whether Oregon state university campuses are public places is not at issue. Their public nature is a given, established by administrative rule. The right to carry on Oregon university campuses involves other issues, all currently before the Oregon Court of Appeals.

No, the question whether Oregon state university campuses are public places is not at issue. Their public nature is a given, established by administrative rule. The right to carry on Oregon university campuses involves other issues, all currently before the Oregon Court of Appeals.

I hate to tell you, but OUS schools are not completely open to the public. The same debate comes down to the right for airports, public stadiums and civic centers to regulate things such as concealed carry.

School campuses are defined as public places under Oregon law regardless of whether it is private or public. Concealed carry is good to go and I'm not sure it's even legal for them to ask you to leave. I would anyway because it isn't worth the court case though unless you were a student and got expelled or something. I carried every day after I turned 21 at my university but I kept it concealed and no one was the wiser.
(10) “Public place” means a place to which the general public has access and includes, but is not limited to, hallways, lobbies and other parts of apartment houses and hotels not constituting rooms or apartments designed for actual residence, and highways, streets, schools, places of amusement, parks, playgrounds and premises used in connection with public passenger transportation.

School campuses are defined as public places under Oregon law regardless of whether it is private or public.

Are OUS campuses considered "schools"?

Also I see now exception regarding public or private.

Another thing is that definition you posted is under the "authority of a city/county to regulate carry"

School campuses are defined as public places under Oregon law regardless of whether it is private or public. Concealed carry is good to go and I'm not sure it's even legal for them to ask you to leave. I would anyway because it isn't worth the court case though unless you were a student and got expelled or something. I carried every day after I turned 21 at my university but I kept it concealed and no one was the wiser.

Also are you a lawyer? Or just one on the internet?

I'm not saying that its illegal to carry on campus, but that its just not as cut and dried as people seem to think.

If you want to pursue something in a "gray" legal area, go ahead, just be prepared to pay legal fees to defend yourself.

Also are you a lawyer? Or just one on the internet?

I'm not saying that its illegal to carry on campus, but that its just not as cut and dried as people seem to think.

If you want to pursue something in a "gray" legal area, go ahead, just be prepared to pay legal fees to defend yourself.

Well it looks pretty straightforward to me, but that's a good point. "Because a guy on the internet said so" is probably not a very good defense. :s0114: I still think it's worth it especially for OP since he's not a student. What's the worst that could happen--get asked to leave?

So CEF are you for or against concealed carry on Oregon State University property.

I highly doubt you will answer that question! :s0114::s0112::s0114:

pat.jpg

Within your rights, but I personally was always careful to keep my gun my own business. When push comes to shove, they may not have an enforceable prohibition, but being the guy to prove it would be time-consuming and expensive. I for one never wanted to be the test subject in that battle. I carried for four years and never had an issue, kept my weapon concealed and secure and felt better having it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top