JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Wife, kids and are planning on going to a baseball game at Goss Stadium and I seem to get mixed results when I inquire about concealed carry at the stadium or even on OSU grounds.

Can anyone clarify that for me?

Kinda what I was wondering there PhysicsGuy.

Not law but like LBCC and some other places where you can get booted out if it's brought up.

In no way do I want to break any laws.

Kinda what I was wondering there PhysicsGuy.

Not law but like LBCC and some other places where you can get booted out if it's brought up.

In no way do I want to break any laws.

You wouldn't be breaking any laws if you do, just policy. But if they do ask you to leave, you have to, otherwise you're breaking a law. If you are a student there, they may try to expel you as well.

Good thing I'm not a student of overpriced higher education.

Really, really do appreciate the info. Seems like their rules are similar to U of O's and LBCC's.

Anyone feel free to correct me.
These locations are public property not private property. Oregon state statutes provide for cities and counties to be able to establish some regulation regarding firearms. Any other state or local entity cannot. OSU can have all the regulations that it desires, but those regulations are generally not valid. If you have a CHL, then not even the cities and counties can regulate your carry.
There can always be a price concerning them telling you that you may not enter or demand that you leave, but they have no legal basis to do so. It could generate a hassle, but you are not violating "the law".

These locations are public property not private property. Oregon state statutes provide for cities and counties to be able to establish some regulation regarding firearms. Any other state or local entity cannot. OSU can have all the regulations that it desires, but those regulations are generally not valid. If you have a CHL, then not even the cities and counties can regulate your carry.
There can always be a price concerning them telling you that you may not enter or demand that you leave, but they have no legal basis to do so. It could generate a hassle, but you are not violating "the law".

This is the way I se it as well but would like to know if I am wrong. I would hate to get kicked out after ionvesting large sums of money.

1st I agree with orygunmike… get the facts for yourself.

However my 2 cents…. As originally pointed out by 2ANewbie. As part of our public education system the schools, universities etc do not have the authority to pass regulations regarding legal concealed carry anywhere in the state of Oregon. That right is only available to the State and they say CC is legal in a public building and on public property to exclude federal buildings or property.

They cannot actually even trespass you off the property legally.

A private party or private company may decide to trespass you from their property or facilities for any reason they see fit including legal concealed carry.

I’d just keep my CC to myself and not tell then squat.

T_H

Yes, that was the original question that filtered through my mind.

OSU: public writing their rules that overwrite the state laws that allow us to carry on public properly.

I'll have to get that book.

Just to be straight in my mind OSU is a public university correct? If it were private would not it be funded soley by tuition and private grants versus taxpayer money? Same with LBCC?

The issue isn't just a legal one. [This is a comment about potential and not necessarily even a likely occurrence.] There you are with your family and expensive tickets. They could have metal detectors, random stops or whatever that could allow them to discover that you are armed. Their security believes that they have enforceable rules even though they do not. They will, almost assuredly, by whatever means necessary for them, either ask you to leave under your own power, remove you or arrest you. Then you get to sue them if you want compensation or hire an attorney if you are arrested. That is what I meant by "a hassle".
And, orygunmike, I have the book. There are too many exceptions such as courts and federal buildings to make simple, blanket statements about where carrying is legal, but for the most part, no state agency, county, city, K12 school, higher ed, etc. can make enforceable rules concerning firearm carry for those with a CHL.

Probably true, but I'm not going to volunteer to be a test case.

Kevin Starrett's book is a good one, all right. Every Oregon gun owner should own at least two: One for the home, and one for the automobile when you are out and about on Oregon's highways and byways. Like a firearm, it's no good to you if you have need of it and it's at the house.

+1 As my dad used to say, "You have to pick your fights". If someone wants to be a test case my hat's off to them, but it won't be me either.

So what ever happened to "Give me liberty or give me death" or "You can have my gun when you pry it out of my cold dead hands" or "Come and get them"? Some people here even have lines like that as part of their signatures. But do they walk the walk?

When it comes to actually having the courage of conviction, I see only sheep. At least leftists are willing to be arrested to protest and call attention to what they perceive to be an unjust law.

All this complaining about unlawful restrictions on guns, and not one of the complainers is willing to risk anything to present a challenge?

All hat, no cattle.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top