JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was researching the weapons policy for the University of Washington and came across this:

WAC 478-120-020(3)(f)
3) (f) Possession or use of firearms, explosives, dangerous chemicals or other dangerous weapons or instrumentalities on the university campus, except for authorized university purposes, unless prior written approval has been obtained from the university chief of police, or any other person designated by the president of the university (see WAC 478-124-020(2)(e)) (legal defense sprays are not covered by this section);

A little background on me now. I am a student at the UW and a legal CPL holder. I take the bus everyday from Marysville to UW (approximately 1 - 1 1/2 hours depending on direction) and I cannot carry on the bus (sucky situation if you know anything about Seattle area busses) because I can't carry on campus.

I am also an active duty Marine (Sgt) of a little under 6 years attached to the NROTC unit on campus. I also am the armory custodian for the unit, in which I have 139 weapons I am responsible for (located in the football stadium).

So I just emailed the UW Police to see if I could get one of those nifty "written approval thingys."

What do you think my chances are? You'd think they might want someone else on their side as a possible first responder in an active shooter situation, right?

I would like to suggest going into the UW Police Office and introducing yourself to the Chief. It is pretty easy to say "no" in an email... YMMV I wish you success.

- Netsecsys
Semper Fi

I would like to suggest going into the UW Police Office and introducing yourself to the Chief. It is pretty easy to say "no" in an email... YMMV I wish you success.

- Netsecsys
Semper Fi

I considered that. I'm not really up on my law enforcement chain of command, but I assumed he's pretty high up there and didn't know how "open door" he would be. Being military, I'm not used to some random dude walking off the street and being able to go straight to the "big guy." I might give it a shot anyway tomorrow.

I went in yesterday and the clerk told me I should email him directly. Still haven't heard anything back. I'm assuming that people asking to carry on campus isn't their top priority, so I'm being patient.

Amazing how times had changed. When I was at Kansas State back in the late 70's I was in the campus police office, actually to pay a parking infraction, when I saw one of the officers was carrying a Dan Wesson revolver like the one I owned at the time. I saw that he had Pachmayer grips on his which I had been looking for for my revolver and couldn't find anywhere. Struck up a conversation with him asking him where he got them and he said he got them from a police supply, but he didn't like them as they were two big for his hand. He was planning on purchasing some of the small wood grips that originally came with the pistol, but he did not have. I told him that I had a pair that I don't use and said how about a trade. I showed up the next day on his lunch break with my pistol, the wooden grips, and my grip screw wrench and we traded them out right there.

Try that today and they'd probably have you proned out.

Based on discussions on this in WA CCW group my impression is that those silly notes are not given out under most circumstances. I have never heard of one being given. Hope you will be the first!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top