JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does anyone have a suggestion about a good quality line of jackets designed for concealed carry? What is your experience with them and do they run true to size?
Also looking for a place with a decent selection in OR close to the Portland metro area. I try to avoid buying clothing of any sort online since fitment is key.

What size pistol are going to use. I have found that jackets don't work real well for full size. I prefer just using IWB and a jacket, shirt or sweatshirt over the top to conceal.

my .02 for what it's worth.

What size pistol are going to use. I have found that jackets don't work real well for full size. I prefer just using IWB and a jacket, shirt or sweatshirt over the top to conceal.

my .02 for what it's worth.

The gun pictured in my avatar lol. Cz p01 omega. May be going with a p07 in the future to lighten it up a bit

I don't like the way a full size pistol or even a compact for that matter feels in a jacket pocket. To me it kinda gives you that lop sided feeling.
Good point. I could put a spare loaded mag or 2 on the other side to balance. I just worry about carrying IWB if I'm going to be moving around a lot and how it might restrict movement but doesn't seem to be a bother for most. The other thing is if I wanted to disarm myself, with a jacket I could just take it off and lock it up somewhere safe incognito. With the IWB it would be difficult to disarm myself incognito.

Carhartt makes some nice jackets. I have one of their Storm defender series. It's got a heavy outer nylon she'll and a ton of pockets. It easily carries a compact 45 in a soft shell holster in the outer pocket. It's comfortable enough to wear thru our rainy season. If it gets cold you could always add a layer underneath.

IMG_20170921_103729.jpg

Good point. I could put a spare loaded mag or 2 on the other side to balance. I just worry about carrying IWB if I'm going to be moving around a lot and how it might restrict movement but doesn't seem to be a bother for most. The other thing is if I wanted to disarm myself, with a jacket I could just take it off and lock it up somewhere safe incognito. With the IWB it would be difficult to disarm myself incognito.

My pistol is in one of four places. On my person, in my safe, on my night stand (while I am sleeping 10 inches from it) or locked in the safe in my truck. To me a jacket is to hard to lock up to the point where you know that NO one can get to it. Again my friend just my .02

I wouldn't mind a "Paul Harrell" jacket. He says he'd get a new one but they don't make them any more or something. Legend has it that the clown car concept was derived from this jacket.

Thanks guys these are all great points and suggestions. I suppose if the carrying of firearms were more acceptable in our society, I wouldn't a) feel the need to disarm in specific settings b) need to do so in an unseen manner. Obviously I would holster it inside a jacket should I decide to go that route all of which could be locked in a truck safe hopefully without drawing any attention. Most of you have more real life experience than I do with this so your advice is very welcome

I would forget about any jacket for CC.You are way better off getting a holster to carry where ever your most comfortable with. Then dress accordingly. Jacket /pants pockets are in my opinion just an accident waiting to happen. Also the size of gun you are looking at really will NOT easily fit in a pocket without possible hanging up on something. Especially in a stressful situation :confused::confused::confused::confused::(:(

I don't like the way a full size pistol or even a compact for that matter feels in a jacket pocket. To me it kinda gives you that lop sided feeling.
No kinda about it for me, when after walking a spell, one zipper end is 4 to 5 inches below the other one!
I tried balancing it out with extra mags:(.
Maybe, if I just added a bowling ball:):(
Holster is better, I'm used to pulling up my pants anyway.o_O
As an aside, times when I was over heated I was tempted (unsuccessfully) to take it off and hang it over a chair. Not good, if you are not @ home, &/or around kids.

Most people never pay close enough attention to notice you are conceal carrying. I am slim and wear somewhat fitting clothes but its not a full size pistol. I think its obvious but no one has ever pointed it out to me that they noticed. I figured my coworkers from NC would for sure notice when we took them to Seattle to site see. No way in hell will I go there unarmed and they never noticed it. And they are the new NC type citizens, liberal as all hell.

Thanks guys these are all great points and suggestions. I suppose if the carrying of firearms were more acceptable in our society, I wouldn't a) feel the need to disarm in specific settings b) need to do so in an unseen manner. Obviously I would holster it inside a jacket should I decide to go that route all of which could be locked in a truck safe hopefully without drawing any attention. Most of you have more real life experience than I do with this so your advice is very welcome

It's not too difficult to disarm unseen and place into a safe in my truck.

Similarly not too difficult to rearm unseen from the safe in my truck.

Both IWB & OWB.

On occasion, if I feel the need, I may adjust some other wardrobe piece while arming or disarming, so it would appear to a casual observer that is actually what I'm doing.

Easy peesy, just own it when you do it.

Don't be "all scoping" everything out while your doing so. You should allways be casually doing so, so this is no different.

I had a nice leather coat that had a large zippered pocket inside the chest area. Carrying a firearm in that pocket weighted down the coat on that side. Even if carried in the outside large front pocket, it pulled the coat down on that side. It was uncomfortable and I felt lopsided. Pocket carry is for pocket pistols, nothing larger. YMMV

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews