JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The cross-sectional area of a 9mm is 3/5 that of the .45ACP, and nothing can change that.
[ .355^2/.451^2= 0.62]
Ergo for a given shot location and comparable penetration, the .45 will inevitably have 5/3 as great a chance of intercepting a vital structure.
This goes whether you're comparing FMJ to FMJ or a JHP to a JHP, since both calibers tend to expand to 150% of the original diameter.

Finally, we can refer to Kleck's studies where he states that over 90% of all defensive firearm uses involve firing AT MOST one shot. If I were a cop or a soldier, I'd worry about capacity - and probably carry a double-stack .45.

Frontal area lol. I've shot tuna cans with .45 hollow point and they'd just leak slowly where a good 9 will absolutely vaporize it over the area of half a tennis court.. we're what.. 90% water? lol

Frontal area lol. I've shot tuna cans with .45 hollow point and they'd just leak slowly where a good 9 will absolutely vaporize it over the area of half a tennis court.. we're what.. 90% water? lol
Yeah, right, tuna cans trump simple arithmetic any day of the week.

If you truly believe that cross-sectional area doesn't correlate to permanent wound channel volume, then we need to have a whole different conversation.

I began my ccw life carrying a glock 21 gen 4, which I was able to conceal comfortably and carry consistently.

I've since delegated the g21 to "nightstand" duty, and carry my g17 gen 4, in 9mm.

I feel that the 4 extra rounds I gain, combined with the slimmer and shorter package, are worth more than carrying the g21 in .45 acp.

As to which caliber in general, either one is going to get the job done, but I feel that for my needs that carrying concealed 9mm works best, and for HD the .45 acp works best.

I have XDS 3.3 in 9mm and one in .45 ACP. I carry the .45, but it is 5+1 and I have the 7 round magazine as a reload in the offside pocket. I have no problem firing the 45 fast and accurate. I do like the extra two rounds per magazine with the 9mm and if I had not been a early adopter of the .45 when it was the only caliber for the XDS, I would select the 9mm for concealed carry. Mine goes in my front pocket. I do also own a Crossbreed Supertuck that could accept the 4 inch versions, but unless you have deep pockets the 4 inch is not a pocket pistol. You know I could switch to carrying the 9mm, but the Warden got this silly idea I bought it for her....

As long as it is a major caliber, quality ammo, and you are accurate with fast follow up shots. If the answer for you is a 9mm, go for it. If you can do all that with a 45, go for it. For me, I shoot my G35 and G21 the best. But I carry the G23 most of the time because it conceals better and I am accurate and fast enough with it to feel confident protecting my loved ones when I am out and about.

I did get the Warden a G42 but she has not shot it yet, maybe when she does things will change.
Sent from my RM-877_nam_att_205 using Tapatalk

chemist wrote:

Yeah, right, tuna cans trump simple arithmetic any day of the week.

If you truly believe that cross-sectional area doesn't correlate to permanent wound channel volume, then we need to have a whole different conversation.

Maybe the conversation can begin with the findings of the 'Jello shooters' doing the FBI handgun studies after the Mami shootout. Of course you can argue with these findings also.

Doctor Fackler ... army colonel who did the FBI ballistic studies ... does not agree with you. His study concluded the service rounds were all pretty much equal with the right ammunition. Feel free to form your own opinion. I just wonder what that is based upon.

Handgun_gel_comparison_zps34b1d270.jpg

Shooting into gel blocks also does not take into account that, on average, someone shooting a 9mm (for example) will have a faster follow up shot than someone shooting a .40 or .45 acp, not to mention the 9mm carriers firearm will generally hold more ammunition for any given comparable platform.

chemist wrote:

Maybe the conversation can begin with the findings of the 'Jello shooters' doing the FBI handgun studies after the Mami shootout. Of course you can argue with these findings also.

Doctor Fackler ... army colonel who did the FBI ballistic studies ... does not agree with you. His study concluded the service rounds were all pretty much equal with the right ammunition. Feel free to form your own opinion. I just wonder what that is based upon.

View attachment 93640
Indeed.
A good 9mm 115gr hollow point, going an honest 1400+ (ooh, but that's a +P+!.. yep) comes fair close to the classic "#1 stopper!", the old 125gr hollow point out of a .357mag when fired out of a duty 4" or even more practical 2-3" barrel revolver.

I don't want to carry the same make and model in two calibers as there might be confusion on a reload. If moving to a smaller gun like a Sig P238 or Colt Mustang, you will limit the size of magazines again. I just carry my NAA .22 Mag for backup.

I use 40 S&W; more shots than a 45, but still stiff recoil.
I am switching to 9mm though; I can simply hit and
practice more with the 9mm than my 40's... BUT 40
ammo is simply more available now while 9mm or 45
are though to find in any quantity. LOL

Also consider this:
1) shot my son's XDs-45; really stung and lucky to get 2
of 5 on paper.
2) shot my XD-40 Sub Compact double-stack; got all 9
on paper with 2 in red; after 2 mags trigger finger hurt
too much to keep shooting.
3) shot my newer XD-9 Sub Compact: got 4 in red; all
13 on paper.
4) shot friend's S&W 9mm Shield; really thin 9mm; got
all on paper but none in the red... like the XDs gun simply
too small and twists in my hand. with my arthritis I can't
grip thin guns tightly enough.

Try out and figure out what's best for you.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads