JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My 2nd opinion is that anyone who says the recoil of a 45 will make a follow up shot slower than one with a 9mm has not shot a .45. I've shot them all and just don't understand that theory... Even with the "mighty" 10mm and standard loads this isn't an issue. Now the "real" 10mm loads there is a difference, but not one that I would consider a handicap. Also, don't understand where the .40 got such a bad rap for recoil. Mine's a smaller gun (Shield) and it's not anything to sweat.
Guess you guys that complain about recoil haven't shot a magnum?
Oh well, watchin you all trash talk is fun. :)

Well the only .40 I fired is my Pitbull revolver, which did seem snappy, but the bore axis on the revolver is a good bit higher than on most semi-Auto's. I did not think it bad, but noticeable.

My EAA 10mm is not a readily concealable weapon, it seems a good bit bigger than my 5" Ruger 1911.
I think the only reasonable option for 10mm concealed carry is a Glock 29

I don't know, I've watched plenty of videos of people being shot on YT over the years. Seems to me that the bad guy goes down almost immediately after the 1st shot. If he runs, he usually doesn't get far. At the very least, it seems to be extremely rare for the BG to keep coming at you (yes, I know if they're hopped up on drugs that can happen). Situations like the Miami FBI shootout are extremely unlikely (could I say impossible) to happen to average Joe Citizen. Heck. look at they guy in the internet cafe that went after two BG's with a .380 - they didn't care it was only a .380 - they booked out of there - he hit one of them with 2 rounds and grazed the other guy - both lived and were prosecuted.

I've read so many discussions about 9mm vs .40 vs. 45 that I just assume people have their preference and that's that. I've yet to see anyone convinced by anyone else to switch calibers. I carry a 9mm and feel very comfortable with it. In my nightstand, a .45. I don't feel any less protected when I'm out and about simply because the .45 is locked up at home.

this thread is still going? :p

it's a never ending story.

InBeforeTheLock.gif

I think it all depends on the person. .22lr-44mag can be all good conceal carry rounds and I would feel safe carrying any of the above. Shot placement, recoil, capacity, knock down power are all variables that are given interchangeably when you increase or decrease caliber size. That being said, I carry a 9mm in town typically and a .45 for the woods. When anyone brags one caliber over another it typically has to do with a big dick fighting contest in my opinion. A .22 can kill just like a .44 mag can- dead is dead.

One a side note, Certaindeaf makes a great point! If you're carrying a firearm for self defense then you need to be able to first physically defend yourself. This means being in shape, having a basic understanding of hand to hand fighting, and knowing the implications of your actions. An often overlooked fact among gun owners is that sometimes it's advisable to run away from the fight too- So lose that beer belly peopleo_O

I think it all depends on the person. .22lr-44mag can be all good conceal carry rounds and I would feel safe carrying any of the above. Shot placement, recoil, capacity, knock down power are all variables that are given interchangeably when you increase or decrease caliber size. That being said, I carry a 9mm in town typically and a .45 for the woods. When anyone brags one caliber over another it typically has to do with a big dick fighting contest in my opinion. A .22 can kill just like a .44 mag can- dead is dead.

One a side note, Certaindeaf makes a great point! If you're carrying a firearm for self defense then you need to be able to first physically defend yourself. This means being in shape, having a basic understanding of hand to hand fighting, and knowing the implications of your actions. An often overlooked fact among gun owners is that sometimes it's advisable to run away from the fight too- So lose that beer belly peopleo_O
You must not have noticed that blue handicapped tag hanging from my mirror (When parked). I don't say I wouldn't try grappling with someone if it meant my life, but shooting is likely a great equalizer for me. Physically I am better than I used to be, but I am no longer a "Contender" ....so I just bought another gun, a Glock 29, but until get some time with it I will continue to carry my .45 XDS. I have carried a .22 Mag J frame a .38 snubbie, .357 snubbie, LC9, and .380 and felt comfortable and safe with all. In the end it comes down to how I will carry. A J frame makes sense in the winter wearing a fleece or hoodie as you can shoot right thru your garment and have no slide to catch on clothing, but in the summer, wearing jeans I prefer to pocket carry a XDS.

You must not have noticed that blue handicapped tag hanging from my mirror (When parked). I don't say I wouldn't try grappling with someone if it meant my life, but shooting is likely a great equalizer for me. Physically I am better than I used to be, but I am no longer a "Contender" ....so I just bought another gun, a Glock 29, but until get some time with it I will continue to carry my .45 XDS. I have carried a .22 Mag J frame a .38 snubbie, .357 snubbie, LC9, and .380 and felt comfortable and safe with all. In the end it comes down to how I will carry. A J frame makes sense in the winter wearing a fleece or hoodie as you can shoot right thru your garment and have no slide to catch on clothing, but in the summer, wearing jeans I prefer to pocket carry a XDS.

the glock 29 is absolutely a tack driver.amazing how it handles a hot 10mm rd with control

Caliber wars are always a fun read as people get worked upped. Bottom line it isn't the caliber it's the shooter, what do you shoot well and what can you put two or three where they need to be post haste? If you read real accounts of defensive shooting situations it was over after a few rounds. Yes there are accounts where dozen of rounds were fired to drop the bad guy but isn't that just a shot placement issue? Keep in mind every round that you fire in that moment in time is yours, if you hit a innocent person, a car, business or some other thing you are on the hook for where that rounds fired ends up.

It will always come down to shot placement, so find the firearm and caliber that fits your ability and practice often. It is a diminishing skill, if not practiced often proficiency is loss.

As they say with great power theres great responsibility.you are accountable for every bullet that leaves your barrel.with 10mm,i use glaser blue safety slug,for controlling overpenetration

I carry a 9mm everyday. I carried a P226 9mm 18 years on duty & like
having the extra capacity of the 9mm.

When I go into high crime area's I carry my FN 5.7 x 28mm loaded with a 20 round magazine.

It appears that I like a lot of rounds rather than stopping power.

I just realized that I've never carried one of my .45's except to the range.

Carry what you're comfortable with. Shot placement is the king. Stopping power is secondary.

I carry a 9mm everyday. I carried a P226 9mm 18 years on duty & like
having the extra capacity of the 9mm.

When I go into high crime area's I carry my FN 5.7 x 28mm loaded with a 20 round magazine.

It appears that I like a lot of rounds rather than stopping power.

I just realized that I've never carried one of my .45's except to the range.

Carry what you're comfortable with. Shot placement is the king. Stopping power is secondary.

Dang a Five-Seven eh... No feelin' under gunned with one of those on your person. I'd love to shoot one eventually, rare to see on a range wall.

9mm vs. .45 ACP ...

sigh

9mm has less recoil, allows for faster and more accurate follow up shots

accuracy > caliber

If you hit a vital area, they're dead. Whether it's a .22LR or .50 cal. Aim center mass, destroy their heart / lungs / aorta, or any major artery. They're dead. With that being said, I'd prefer a 9mm. More bullets, faster, more accurate follow up shots. Hit anyone center mass 2-3 times and I guarantee they're not getting up, 9mm or .45 ACP.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top