JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Either works fine

J5ZLAyp.jpg

I tend to prefer the 9mm for cost effectiveness and higher round count - but then I just ditched my G19 and picked up a new .45 the same size. 8+1 I can live with.

Carry the biggest frame pistol you are comfortable with. Shoot the caliber you are most comfortable with.
Stress and adrenaline will trump caliber and shot placement everytime, so Practice drawing and dry firing. Often.
The best gun in the world is the one in your hand...

Ammunition selection, I think, is much more important than caliber.. given the common military/police/defense handgun calibers.
That's half code for whatever you do, don't use hardball for likely defense scenarios (see what the coppers stoke theirs with and you'll be close).. do a little studying on what to get/have, depending on what you want to do.. from headshooting squirrels to defeating body armor and all the stuff in between to include medium to large game.

I like my CZ 82 with Hornady FTX 9mm Makarov rounds for carry. It's comfortable to carry and I shoot it well and has 12 + 1 capacity . It's the best choice for me. Your mileage may vary.
Your might try a box of Underwood XTP +P ammo. It's what I use in my CZ-82 and puts out about 50% more energy than the Hornady FTX round ( which I DO use in my FEG smc-918). The solid CZ-82 handles the Underwood +P ammo easily . :)

How is having to use half of your slide as a front sight at 1oo yards versatile? no, it's not versatile at all
Maybe what he means is there is a wider spread of ammunition design for the .45 over the 9mm and I think that is true. Most 9mm is 115 or 124 grain with a bit of 147 grain. I just looked at one site for .45 and they had 140, 185, 200, 220, and 230. I don't think anyone using a XDS, which is the subject gun here would reasonably be faced with a 100 yard shot, even with the 4 inch barrel version. I own a XDS in both 9mm and ,45, they are identical in external dimensions to include the identical sights. The ,45 is a 5 + 1 gun and the 9mm is a 7 + 1 gun with the flush magazines the extended magazine adds 2 rounds, of the respective caliber. I carry the 5 +1 and in my offside pocket I have the 7 round magazine for a reload. The 9mm uses the same holster, but would have 20 extra rounds for each magazine. It is a choice, I continue to carry the ,45

I hear you. I like to be able to pop a squirrel in the head or something at long range my own self and am also perfectly happy.. using slugs weighing from 80 to 160 grains going pretty fast.

How is having to use half of your slide as a front sight at 1oo yards versatile? no, it's not versatile at all

I don't know what you're shooting at 100 yards across the open prairie with a 9mm pistol, but there's a big difference between an offensive and defensive weapon. Rifles, shotguns with slugs, and long barreled magnum revolvers (and maybe a 1911 Govt or Glock 21 with a .460 Rowland upper) are for 100 yard shooting (at things that present a danger). Neither your Niner nor my .45 slug are going to have much energy at the 100 yard mark.

When I'm hiking I won't be blasting away at a charging black bear or cougar from 100 yards away. But whenever I do get charged by an animal from 100+ yards, I just sprinkle some pixie dust and fly away on my magical unicorn before it reaches me.

Now if an animal were to charge from 20-40 yards and close ground quickly, I'll take 10 rounds of my .45 loads (maybe even some Buffalo Bore 255 gr. +p .45 ACP) over 15 or 17 rounds of 9mm +p loads.

Last Edited:
Some of you may find this video interesting - while hardly a definitive/scientific study of the subject, the results were surprising to me (as well as to the folks doing the video). It's worth watching all the way through, but the 100 yard shots start about the 1:55 mark. Certainly makes me think a 9mm is nothing to sneeze at (not that I did before). Personally I don't see a need in a self defense scenario to shoot at something 100+ yards from me, but it's good to know there is still some decent energy at impact if it were needed. The 100 yard shot is out of a pistol. 200 yards also with a pistol. 440 yards from a carbine.

I'd like to see them do the same tests using ballistic gelatin and JHP defensive loads, just for more information on the subject. They seemed to indicate they may try that at some point, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Lot's of good advice has already been given. But here's my take.
First of all, practice defusing and de-escalation of situations. Use Situational Awareness to avoid putting yourself in dangerous situations. A bruised ego is less painful than being shot. Also, even a "good" shoot, can cost between $100,000 & over a million dollars to defend yourself in court. So unless you are rich, or want to risk life in prison, pulling out a gun is a extreme measure of last resort.
Also, The single most important element in a shootout is shot placement! If you can shoot the BG between the eyes with one shot, it doesn't really matter what caliber you use. The problem here is that in a high stress shooting environment, most LEO's miss their intended target about 85% of the time. Even a trained sniper that can make his shot over 95% of the time in practice, is reduced in efficiency by about 50% when under fire.
Then, There are different kinds of defense. So no one weapon covers them all. When I am alone in the deep woods, I prefer large caliber like .454, 44 Mag, .45 & .40. These are good against animals. Most predators will not stop trying to eat you unless you take out their CNS - Lights Out!
In town, it's a different story. I personally believe in high ammo capacity, the more the better! Like an FN Five Seven or a FS92 - both have 20 round magazines. If a gang of thugs decide to attack me, and especially if they are armed - I want lot's of bullets of my own! I practice instinct shooting double taps and with a Beretta FS92 with a Mec-Gar 20 round mag, that equals ten dead Bad Guys. At least until I slam in another Magazine.
The reason I carry a gun is because cop's are too heavy!
Wow! This is some seriously negative verbiage. I think I'll go have a glass of ice tea. :):):)

Last Edited:
I love these kinds of threads...;). Being a really old guy that been carrying for more than 50 years, I have gone back and forth about all of this. Started life with a 1911, worked in Columbia in the 1970's carrying a 38 super (because 45 were reserved for LEO/Mil). 10 years ago, I switched to Glocks (G20, G22, G23, G29).

Eventually I went back to my 1911's. (Too many years....they are inprinted in my DNA I think :rolleyes: )
The previous poster had it exactly right, under stress, you have to be able to step outside your emotions, take that extra .1 second to insure a solid hit, send it, and be focused on the next threat, while your feet are on there own autopilot sending you to some cover.

Every year I take 2 days to shoot turning targets from carrying concealed. Usually burn through 500 rounds. (Strive for a 1.5 second time for 2 shots before the targets disappear.) I still average 2k rounds per year in practice.

Have you ever thought about how to mentally lower the bad guy down from a level 5 to a 3? What can you say or do? (What you practice is most likely what you will do under stress), Beg, plead, throw some money on the ground, while you maneuver to get your wallet, (Feet solid, blade position) but when the gun comes out, there is no time to talk. Shoot and move....

So what do I carry? Kimber Crimson Trace Ultra.....50% of the time, Kimber Tac II 25%, COP (357 4 barrel derringer, with 185 Gr bullets) because it is so concealable 15%, Kimber 10mm (for serious social occasions) 5%, and Glock 29 (when the weather is cold) 5%.
I always have at least 1 extra magazine with me.
There is nothing wrong with 9mm if you can shoot fast and accurately.
With any of these know what your bullet performance does. :confused:

Here is an interesting study on actual shootings.
Caliber size vs. hits/ miss and location, one shot hits and walk away, # of to stop some one ,# of rounds to kill and much more.
This may help in what cal to carry and how may rounds.
What was found out is larger cal has a small advantage.
A large # of people after being shot once regardless of cal will stop and walk away.
just food for thought.
Take it with a grain of salt and make your own mind.
http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/alternate-look-handgun-stopping-power

I don't know what you're shooting at 100 yards across the open prairie with a 9mm pistol, but there's a big difference between an offensive and defensive weapon..
Ooh, thanks for the schooling... no kidding. lol. This thread is about "concealable carry" and many people carry their "concealable carry" gun into the field.
Varmints such as the coyote are easily taken to 100 yards (given that the shooter can shoot) with an accurate and properly loaded 9mm.

And also, varmints can be of two legs, as you may well know, and one may well only have their handgun of choice upon their person. Bill Jordan, Skeeter Skelton and many many others realized the value of long range proficiency and effectiveness for suppressive fire (heck, might even kill one a the tards shooting at you) because that's all they may well have had at the time.
Being able to hit something a bit out there beats having to die like a dog or get closer without cover or run across an open prairie trying to get to their rifle that's in a locker back at the station or whatever.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top