JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Curious if investing in a Python for light-to-medium shooting is worth it, or if nowadays they're best used as safe queens/collectibles? Or for a weekend shooting trip is the money best spent on something like a S&W 686 or even a GP100? For those of you experienced with any/all, your feedback is appreciated.

Again, use would be occasional shooting (not carry) - price isn't a blocker per sé, but for 2K or more I would hope that the quality and accuracy would be in such rarified air that there's no serious comparison to it. That's why I'm hoping folks here are experienced with all and call give some individual opinions.

Thx in advance

I have owned all 3 and currently own just the Python in 6 inch stainless version. My first revolver was a 4 inch Ruger GP100. It was a bit heavy for its size. Made stronger for heavier loads but if you aren't going shoot 180 grain loads then either the Colt or S&W should be fine. I had a 686 with 6 inch barrel as well. It had a very good trigger but it was an older model. The newer ones I have shot have fairly heavy trigger pulls. I'm no stranger to taking off the side plate of a S&W revolver so changing out mainsprings and trigger return springs is no big deal for me but if you want a really nice trigger you might have to get it tuned. The Colt Python has a very light trigger but it gets heavier towards the end but it is barely noticeable if you are not trying to stage the trigger. The 686 is smooth and consistent all the way through the trigger stroke. In the end, I have the Python because its the classic Python. I will say that I usually put Hogue finger groove grips on all my revolvers. The Python is the exception. It didn't feel right and lengthened the trigger reach. The 686 is perfect with a Hogue grip on it. The Python is more like a work of art and pride of ownership is a factor. Call it a barbeque gun or that it has CDI factor but when it comes out of the holster, ooohs and ahhhhs are heard. :)

Official zombie killing revolver of The Walking Dead.

78862530.jpg

When you say "Are they worth it?", what price are you talking about? While I personally think the Colt Python is the finest example of the revolver makers art ever made, I have seen what I consider to be some ridiculous prices for some lately. Granted, they are no longer made and will only go up in value as the years pass, but I've seen some priced for close to $2k. For that kind of money I can buy three mint condition classis S&W's. I might pay $1,200 or even a little more, but no more than that.

When a 6" SS Python came my way last year for $1000.00, I jumped on it. Only six rounds fired by the original owner, than put away in a drawer.
A little elbow grease and some Simichrome paste, it looks as new in box. It's definitely an investment piece, but just holding it, you can appreciate the fine skill and craftsmanship that Colt's best put into it.
My personal go to .357 magnum for target/plinking shooting is my Ruger Security Six. Not the best trigger (it can be improved) but way undervalued and extremely durable and accurate.

When you say "Are they worth it?", what price are you talking about? While I personally think the Colt Python is the finest example of the revolver makers art ever made, I have seen what I consider to be some ridiculous prices for some lately. Granted, they are no longer made and will only go up in value as the years pass, but I've seen some priced for close to $2k. For that kind of money I can buy three mint condition classis S&W's. I might pay $1,200 or even a little more, but no more than that.

My thoughts on the prices also.

They are worth what people will pay for them. I wouldn't pay $2k for one but it looks like there are people who might.

Price/quality levers are different for everyone. Based on the criteria of how I plan to use it, I'd look to those who have shot them/owned them to give their best opinion of whether or not - to them - it was a fantastic shooting experience.

When I ordered my .308, I could have gone with a variety of companies but I selected LWRC because I have experience with them and love the existing AR I have from them. It was probably a little pricier than other options, but to me the tradeoff is worth it.

Another thing to consider is all the "mint in box" Python's that are coming up for sale lately for really high prices. The Chinese are producing Python boxes and end labels. A little distressing to the box, a lot of polish and the right numbers penned on the end label, and here you go, five hundred added to the price.

Another thing to consider is all the "mint in box" Python's that are coming up for sale lately for really high prices. The Chinese are producing Python boxes and end labels. A little distressing to the box, a lot of polish and the right numbers penned on the end label, and here you go, five hundred added to the price.

WOW! I hadn't heard of that, but I guess it shouldn't surprise me.

eBay is the place to go for these items. Here is one "buy it now" for $175.00.

Colt Python Diamondback or Trooper Box from the 1970's into the late 1980's.(FREE Colt Python Diamondback or Trooper Hang Tag, Plastic Cylinder Ring for .357 Mag,s NOT DIAMONDBACKS only .357 Cylinder Rings) FREE Colt Warranty Card, Free Colt Python Diamondback or Trooper Manuals and Welcome letters, The box shows almost no wear on the wood grain cardboard sleeve, but no rips and the end flaps are intact. The styrofoam inserts appear unused. This box is correct for any Python or Diamondback or Trooper up-to an 8" barrel. Also included as a free bonus: Python Diamondback or Trooper manual (several dates to choose from), Colt letter, and warranty card. The opposite end flap show the union made logo. Add $300 or more to the value of your Python Diamondback or Trooper with a correct box. I have a few of these for sale--- 3 Day return option No Questions ask---Several of you have ask what date manuals I offer you with the box--You can choose a 1978 manual, a 1993 manual, 1981 manual or the small Gold Python manual with no date on it--But you must specify what date manual you want when you order the box or I send you a manual date of my choosing---So when your buy please specify a Python , Diamondback Box or Trooper box and which date manual you want-Tks for looking and bidding!!! If you have any questions you can call me at 931-205-6031--Thanks

I had 4" blued Python back in the 70's (pre wife & kids) and it was the a great revelover. I would buy one now if I wanted the best revolver made and price was not an object. That said, I have also been a fan of classic S&W 4" N frame revolvers (28 & 29). I saw a like new in the blue cardboard box (1970s) Model 28 Highway Patrolman in a local shop for under $600 a while back and kick mysef for not buying it.

I had 4" blued Python back in the 70's (pre wife & kids) and it was the a great revelover. I would buy one now if I wanted the best revolver made and price was not an object. That said, I have also been a fan of classic S&W 4" N frame revolvers (28 & 29). I saw a like new in the blue cardboard box (1970s) Model 28 Highway Patrolman in a local shop for under $600 a while back and kick mysef for not buying it.

I have a '68 4" Python and it's a beautiful gun to be sure, but it's no more accurate from a rest than either my S&W's, a 4" 28 or a 5" 27. I would argue that the model 27 is prettier too.....

Update on this: I came across a 1980 8" Python that was at a price I couldn't refuse. Exceptionally clean and holy cow, I can see why people fall in love with the triggers on these. I'm looking forward to shooting it and enjoying it for a bit.

That said, I'm liking what I'm reading on the 686's, current or older. Might consider picking one of those up in a couple of months as more of a play pistol to stow the Python next to the M107 as "things that don't come out much."

Thanks again for the feedback, all.

A Python is worth the price if you think it is, for me it is not. I have owned the guns you list and yes the Python is very accurate and nicely finished and a must have if you are Colt collector.

My guns are shooters and the S&W or Ruger will shoot with the Python or very close to it for accuracy. Also there are fewer smiths that can or will work on Colt revolvers and the thing that makes the Colt accurate also makes it some what delicate. I have no problems keeping an S&W or Ruger running but would not attempt to work on a Colt action.

The Python is worth more because of it collector's value. My shooting buddy has a 6 inch Python that I have shot many times. As for shoot-ability my 6 inch 686 Smith both me and my friend can shoot better.
I can shoot the Smith better because of the grips and sights work better for me. Bench rest the Python vs. 686 the smith easily shoots tighter groups with any load.

I just bought an Anaconda. Best damn gun I have ever shot or looked at. It seems like they new they had something going and decided to skimp on the fit and finish, it does not compare to my 629-1 in looks but my god, that is a nice shooter. I can imagine a python is just as nice to shoot as the anaconda but looks like they finished it out better. All my friends (that would be three.... three total friends) mocked me for paying so much for one until they shot it. Now they are all looking for colts. Cant beat them. Go for it, they are worth the premium.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top