JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Will you be attending this April 11th Clean Up event?

• Total voters
Reactions
Check back to this first post for any changes or updates prior to this event. I will edit as and when needed.

Sat April 11th, 2015 10 am to 1 pm

Our next adventure! Mt Hood National Forest! Meet new people and help clean up our National Forest.

This event coincides with our NWFA Target Shooter Information Program booth. Same day/location.

It's going to be a fun day!

Who: Open to all NWFA members, General public, Family & friends.

Where:
Map Link:
Event Site (Google Maps) National Forest Road 4500 (NF 45)
GPS coordinates: 45°10'50.37"N 122°14'51.08"W

Directions; From Estacada, at the intersection of Hwy 224 & Hwy 211, it's about a 20 minuet ride. Go South on Hwy 211 about 5 miles, turn Left on Hillockburn Rd and stay on that road for about 5 miles to the meeting location, (Hillockburn Rd becomes the NF 45, (4500), after the big Yellow gate).

When: Sat April 11, 2015. Arrive @ 10 am (Clean up until 1 pm).

Need to bring: Your own Lunch, Water, Gloves, Boots, Jeans and a Rake is helpful. (We need a couple people to bring hip waders for knee high water at the lake).

What: We will be cleaning up; 1 illegal shooting site, a pristine little lake being ruined by trash and some nice legal outdoor target shooting sites from 10 am to 1 pm. When you arrive at the meeting place, (map link below), Volunteers will need to sign in to the USFS and NWFA volunteer sign-in sheets which will include a liability waiver.

At 1 pm, we'll meet up at base camp, do lunch (bring your own) and draw for some prizes.

People have been shooting trash along side this lake. Shot-up beer cans in the lake! Bring hip waders!
2-14 MT Hood Lake along NF 4540 1.jpg

You'll be out in the woods and are welcome to stay and shoot after the event.
However, for liability reasons, shooting is in no way part of or associated with the Northwest Firearms clean-up event.
(See separate post about Rules for Target Shooting on State Lands)
As with all clean up events; No open display of firearms while on Forestry Volunteer time.
If you plan to stay and shoot, be sure to bring ear and eye protection, appropriate legal targets, a tarp to catch your spent casings, a rope or caution tape to establish a shooting line and something with a trigger!

See the next post about Target Shooting Rules on Mt. Hood National Forest.
Establish a shooting line.jpg

Why: It's more than just picking up trash at a shooting site. It's about Stewardship, Responsibility, Respect, Teaching by example, Preserving our inherited right to shoot outdoors, being a 2nd Amendment representative, and because it's the right thing to do!

This portrays a negative image against gun owners. It is also illegal to shoot trees!
Mt Hood Clean-up post pic1.jpg

Benefits: (associated with this event)
  • Chances to win Merchandise from local sporting goods stores, Drawings for NWFA T-Shirts, Official 2015 'Volunteer' status under your username on Northwest Firearms, and a sense of Pride & Ownership in our national forest!
One lucky volunteer will win this! Includes 333 Rounds 22 Hollow Point!
Do-All Targets - The .22/.17 Steel Round Up is the ideal target for those who would like to shoot by themselves or create a competitive challenge by trying to reset your targets quicker than your friends. The eight targets swing right-to-left or left-to-right and are automatically snapped back into position at impact by a spring-loaded mechanism. Spring tension is adjustable to ensure a flawless reset every shot. This target will handle .22 shorts, long rifle, or magnums as well as the hot new .17 HMR from short or long distances. And, the thick 8mm steel targets are positioned with a forward angle that directs bullet splash into the ground for your safety. Four ground spikes are included for stability.
Thank you Sportsman's Warehouse, SE 82nd Ave, Portland!
Do All Steel Target.jpg

Everyone gets one of these!
Sportsmans Coupon.jpg

Thank you to Tacticle Ammunition
TWO 20ct boxes of .308, .223, or .243 - or - TWO 50ct boxes of .45auto, or .40s&w.

Also, chances to win Gift Cards and Tee Shirts!

Here is a nice big pit. Possible 100 yard range. About 12 miles up from our Booth set up location.
2-14 MT Hood Big Pit top of NF 45 1.jpg

Can you bring something from this list? (Please post if you can provide any of these items).

Coffee grounds
Sugar packets & Coffee creamer
Propane coffee pot w/filters
Propane cook stove
Donuts (expecting +/- 30 Volunteers. Need 2-3 people to bring a dozen each)
Cookies
Dining canopy
Folding table & chairs
Smallest bullet point.jpg Hand wipe cleaning towelettes

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We will also have our NWFA Target Shooting Information booth set up at this site and in action! We'll be handing out rules from the Forest Service, tips & ethics from NWFA, maps of good/legal places to shoot, offer free ear plugs and free legal targets to shoot at.We are here to help, inform and enhance the target shooting experience.

"Partnering to preserve our recreational target shooting rights"
Mt Hood 1st Booth3.jpg

Clean up event sponsored by; Northwest Firearms, USFS Mt Hood National Forest and Dump Stoppers

nwfa-logo2-png.213719.png ..... and ..... USFS Logo.jpg ..... and ..... Clackamas Co Logo1.jpg

More information about our involvement with USFS Mt Hood Nat Forest can be found here at NWFA thread;
NWFA Target Shooter Information Program

Special thanks to our contributing businesses for helping with this event!
We really appreciate your involvement!

sportsmans-warehouse-mainlogo1-png.214478.png .......... AND .......... tactical-ammunition3-jpg.213716.jpg

I will update this main post as and when needed.

Thank you! Please let us know if you will be attending by checking the box above!

Bill

sw-washington-surplus1-jpg.213715.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Target Shooting Rules in Mt. Hood National Forest

1. No person shall place targets on trees or shoot trees for any purpose.
2. No person shall shoot across, from or along any road, trail or body of water.
3. No person shall shoot carelessly, recklessly, or without regard for the safety of any person, or in a manner that endangers, or is likely to endanger, any person or property.
4. Persons engaged in target shooting shall remove from National Forest System land all shell casings, targets, and other debris resulting from their use.
5. Persons engaged in target shooting shall utilize an appropriately sized, natural backstop.
6. No person shall shoot targets other than those commercially manufactured for the specific purpose of target shooting, except for paper targets privately manufactured by the people engaging in target shooting.
7. The use of exploding targets and tracer ammunition is prohibited.
8. No person shall shoot glass of any kind, appliances, furniture, vehicles or other debris determined to be garbage or refuse by an enforcing officer.
9. No person shall engage in shooting while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
10. Target shooting and other shooting related activity will be prohibited from one half hour after sunset to one half hour before sunrise.

Here's a link to their web page about

Enjoy and have a Blast!

Last Edited:
I'll bring a 1 burner propane stove and a drip coffee maker. It doesn't make a lot of coffee very fast so we'll need another stove or two and another coffee maker or two. I'll try not to forget the filters this time!

Looking forward to this event and to meeting a lot of NWFA members!

It's on the calendar! I also had the Portland Swapmeet on the calendar (antique autos and classic cars) but I should be able to hit that on Friday and this on Saturday. Still figuring out what I'll be able to bring, besides my winning smile. ;)

I'm not too sure if I'll be able to make it to this one. I'll see if I can rearrange this weekends plans.

If not, a pre thank you for those that help.

Here's the map link to the Lake, on the NF 4540 Rd, that needs some spiffing up. It's about 8 miles up from our base camp meeting place.

If you follow that road up a little further, you'll see a pit, off the Y, at the sharp corner. Nice short range pit that needs a clean up.

If you go back down the NF4540, down to the NF 45, hang a right and stay on the 45 Rd until you come to a big pit on top of the hill. It's about 13 miles from base camp. That's the one pictured in opening post of this thread. Could get 100 yards. Would be nice to go up and clean up this one.

There are other shooting places to clean up that are closer to our base camp meeting location. I'll try to post them when I can.

Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/fc1tS NF 4540
GPS: 45.092859, -122.257205

I'd like to make this one but I can't. It's my busiest time. As I say each year about this time...."The growing grass waits for no man" I am the man that cuts that growth!

I'm hoping more people get signed up and go.

Mike

Cogs, can you create an event on the Facebook page so I can advertise to some of my friends &coworkers who don't visit these forums but are shooters/hunters.

Also, are there any flyers made up ? ill post some in the break room at Cabelas (fun money job) to see if we can get any more.

Cogs, can you create an event on the Facebook page so I can advertise to some of my friends &coworkers who don't visit these forums but are shooters/hunters.

Also, are there any flyers made up ? ill post some in the break room at Cabelas (fun money job) to see if we can get any more.

Just copy and paste the link (to the thread), to your FB page. That's all I did and it works just fine. They can all read it, but can't post unless they sign up for membership. But we're not trying to push them to sign up anyway. Just read what it's about and show up if they can.

Let us know if you hear of any who will be there!

https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/clean-up-mt-hood-national-forest-april-11th.193765/

No fliers on this clean up or Information Booth. Could try a print out of the first post?

Thanks, Fippy!

Who's up for some target shooting after the event? That's the best part of the whole day! After lunch and prize drawings, we'll be done with the official part and it's open season on targets. (poor targets! :() :D

Edit: Added pics and description of prizes to the original post above. We will hand out raffle type tickets and hold drawings at lunch time. We appreciate our volunteers!

Paved road to the meeting site. Okay road, gravel & pot holes, further up. Can ride with someone else if you go up to another site. You'll be fine.

Thanks for joining us!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads