JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What a relief! I've been too busy the last couple of weeks, and missed the memo on the new setup.... Thought my account got screwed up, or got restricted from replying for some disiplinary reason (although I behave... generally). This will also help maintain privacy from government "alphabet agencies" monitoring who is buying what.and from whom.... Despite being behind "SEVEN PROXIES" as some here claim to be.....LOL.

After experiencing this change for the last couple of days - I love it! It's much faster now to check to see if anything new is listed. I think this is a change for the better!

I just speed-readed the three pages on this thread (AFTER viewing a classified ad that I might have been able to offer the seller some critical information about his gun---best offered publicly so all can benefit or contribute/refute).

I came here initially on an information search about a gun I was considering selling. I continue to come here for education. I occasionally offer it when my paltry experience might be of benefit to others (including those with guns for sale).

I fully understand and agree with any effort to torpedo those who would circumvent the rules (more importantly, the "spirit") of a classified ad.

My issue is with the complete elimination of PUBLIC education (something a PM cannot accomplish) about a gun for sale. As a seller, I would welcome ANY input from ANYONE about my gun that could be of benefit to myself, or others considering a purchase. We could all learn from such input.

Hard (admittedly anectodal) evidence: I am not a "contributor" here in the financial sense, but believe by my participation, I DO contribute. I was able on a very recent occasion to assist an actual (perhaps substantial) financial contributor on a gun he had for sale. (I was attracted to the gun, but had no real interest in buying it).

SDR offers a Remington 600. He calls in a Mohawk in his initial ad. I pipe in, advise him that what he has is a TRUE 600, not a Mohawk, (his gun is of greater value). I offer a very short dissertation of the 600's and the distinction from a Mohawk (that is of VALUE TO OTHERS THAN SDR). He hasn't sold the darned gun yet, but I believe that is inconsequential to everyone BUT SDR. I was able to step forward with some knowledge (usually my well is full of useless information, but this time it applied directly).

You've deprived us of an avenue for education on items for sale. I admire the Moderators' dedication to task. I hope their statement of re-evaluation with this decision is sincere. I came here to learn.

Unfortunately spitpatch your one example of how it can work in a positive has been trumped time after time by people who do nothing but thread crap, buddy bump, and generally waste band width. While admirable that's not what the classified section is for. I guess I'm just a believer in personal responsibility when it comes to knowing what you are selling or buying.

P.S. Joe link I love the changes! Nice to see an ad stay on the front page more than 5 minutes now!

Unfortunately spitpatch your one example of how it can work in a positive has been trumped time after time by people who do nothing but thread crap, buddy bump, and generally waste band width. While admirable that's not what the classified section is for. I guess I'm just a believer in personal responsibility when it comes to knowing what you are selling or buying.

P.S. Joe link I love the changes! Nice to see an ad stay on the front page more than 5 minutes now!

I have to agree with dakaham. It's nice to educate the public, and there are lots of threads on this Forum that do that. The proper way to use the Classified section would be for you to PM SDR, and then he could edit his thread to include your information if he wanted to. Most of us are not interested in whether or not that particular gun is a "Mohawk" model or not. I don't see "bumping" an ad as a valid way for collectors to share their particular passions about a particular model.

And I still love the changes!

Have to agree with Dakaham and Monk... I've been on the prowl for some parts 'n stuff for the last couple of days. It is a much nicer environment to work in, and I've had great results via PM's instead of public "back and forth". The ONLY change I would recommend is in the "Great Deals/Buys", because oftentimes one branch of a chainstore may be out, and we can't let other members know where the goods are within that chainstore system... i.e. BiMart, Big-5 or Fisherman's Supply.

Just a thought for some polishing of the new policy. ;)

I just speed-readed the three pages on this thread (AFTER viewing a classified ad that I might have been able to offer the seller some critical information about his gun---best offered publicly so all can benefit or contribute/refute).

I came here initially on an information search about a gun I was considering selling. I continue to come here for education. I occasionally offer it when my paltry experience might be of benefit to others (including those with guns for sale).

I fully understand and agree with any effort to torpedo those who would circumvent the rules (more importantly, the "spirit") of a classified ad.

My issue is with the complete elimination of PUBLIC education (something a PM cannot accomplish) about a gun for sale. As a seller, I would welcome ANY input from ANYONE about my gun that could be of benefit to myself, or others considering a purchase. We could all learn from such input.

Hard (admittedly anectodal) evidence: I am not a "contributor" here in the financial sense, but believe by my participation, I DO contribute. I was able on a very recent occasion to assist an actual (perhaps substantial) financial contributor on a gun he had for sale. (I was attracted to the gun, but had no real interest in buying it).

SDR offers a Remington 600. He calls in a Mohawk in his initial ad. I pipe in, advise him that what he has is a TRUE 600, not a Mohawk, (his gun is of greater value). I offer a very short dissertation of the 600's and the distinction from a Mohawk (that is of VALUE TO OTHERS THAN SDR). He hasn't sold the darned gun yet, but I believe that is inconsequential to everyone BUT SDR. I was able to step forward with some knowledge (usually my well is full of useless information, but this time it applied directly).

You've deprived us of an avenue for education on items for sale. I admire the Moderators' dedication to task. I hope their statement of re-evaluation with this decision is sincere. I came here to learn.

Well written as usual. New Rules are not liked. No other Forum I visit has issues with the classifieds .Ban Hammer :s0051:would solve most of the problems. Get right or GTFO.

theduke points out an excellent barometer that should not be ignored: The very SINGULARITY of this practice on this website alone (I haven't seen this on the moderate amount of other sites I visit regularly) would indicate there may well be other avenues to police what is considered abuse.

As to smonk's understandable disinterest in whether or not a Remington 600 is a Mohawk or not (he's right: most people wouldn't care), the example was exactly that: an anecdotal example. An educational reply done in public for all to see benefits all. Perhaps the next educational reply would impart to smonk (or others) important infiormation regarding their arena of interest. Even better: such a reply might SPARK a new interest for smonk or others.

While PM's to the seller certainly can deliver information efficiently to the seller, his relaying that information to the public would (as smonk implied) be edited as to what that seller believes is most important. The casualty would be loss of other information that might be of value to the rest of participants here.

I realize my thirst for knowledge is not universally shared. I also understand that there are some (a minority, I hope) that actively ignore (and are bothered by) new information, and appreciate any help they can get to prevent it from even seeing presentation.

Well written as usual. New Rules are not liked. No other Forum I visit has issues with the classifieds .Ban Hammer :s0051:would solve most of the problems. Get right or GTFO.

Something to think about if the current change to the classifieds falls short. The Ban Hammer I think could be a cure if it was only very strictly inforced.
My thoughts at the moment on options and others might add if inclined to do so?

1. One warning Parole them one time.
2. Second time out for life.
2. No warnings and no parole just gone.

The problem with this is the Mods have to play Judge and Jury. Ban someone and he then goes to another site and tells whatever story and it is bad for this site.

I saw someone suggest a category for shotguns and for optics. I think that's a great idea, and would further add that rifles should have a 'military rifles' category as well. That way the AR, AK, SKS crowd don't have to sift through the bolt guns and vice versa.
Just my :s0159:
Thanks for all the great work!
Chris

I guess I'll be the odd man out on this subject. This change in the rules and the opinions that follow are all based on the assumption that bumping a post to the top is some sort of sacrilege and has to be stopped at any expense. I disagree and believe that those who bump too frequently would be chastised by members and moderator involvement is not necessary. My opinion is well founded and works very well on another site that I frequent. Said site dwarfs this one which may or may not be a reflection of management style. I like this place and ain't going anywhere unless I get the boot. This is my two cents worth of blather. Please feel free to bump this TTT, never-mind. Ken

So now what people are doing is making a FS ad.....and deleting it after a few days and then creating a new ad again(see Dan Wesson C-bob 10mm). Didn't take them long did it.

So now what people are doing is making a FS ad.....and deleting it after a few days and then creating a new ad again(see Dan Wesson C-bob 10mm). Didn't take them long did it.

Ok I found the ad and deleted it, if you see it posted again sooner that June 2nd please report the post and contact me directly, thank you.

People willfully and selfishly using such practices will be treated like the selfish people they are.

The Management (Moderators) here did a fair job of stating the purpose of the change: 1. Eliminate the possibility of bumping a thread (by the original poster, other members, or fake accounts) more often than once every seven days.

An additional issue admirably to be "solved" was stated as: Because of these issues the classified section consumes over half of the time and resources of our staff, which is unacceptable.

And more to their credit, they stated the new procedure would be examined and reevaluated and perhaps would not be permanent: Time will tell how this all works out, and no decision is set in stone.

This is perfect Management technique for implementation of any new policy:

1)Specifically state the purpose.
2)State the sincere intent to reevaluate the policy against its stated purpose.
3) Modify or delete the policy if it fails that purpose.

Well, It failed to prevent the possiblity of bumping a thread. It failed to free the Moderators from devoting a majority of their time to policing (in fact, a "double-duplicate poster" is perhaps even more difficult to detect now than a guy who merely skirted the bump rule. Proof: the exampled offender was detected by Members, not Moderators).

Upon these discoveries, it is my held faith that it can be demonstrated that the Management here is of the rare type that doesn't fail on Step 3 (thereby also failing in the sincerity portion of Step 2).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top